Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reef test kit recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
utahwatertoys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahwatertoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reef test kit recommendations?
    Posted: May 29 2011 at 6:45pm
Anyone have a recommendation on a test kit for a reef tank?
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 6:49pm
 Nutrafin Master Test Kit 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 8:54pm
I use the Sera kits most of the time. I have SeaChem and Elos as well.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 9:22pm
I like Salifert
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 11:40pm
Elos, Elos and then Elos.

I use Salifert and am waiting for the day I run out of them. Yes they work but even after using them for a couple years I am still a little unclear with their color changing.

Maybe I will sell them actually so I can go with Elos stuff.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 2:44am
For general testing I use API, however I also test with my Elos kits a couple times a month to make sure I'm on track.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 7:50am
The last Elos test I used bugged me to death.  I don't know if they've changed, but I HATED having to count the number of drops.  With a crazy household...I usually don't have the ability to concentrate long enough to count...and end up having to repeat the same test about 3 times each.  With Salifert, I can just mix until the color change...and look at how much I added.  Much better for me.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 9:39pm
I have really liked my nutrafin test kits.  Couple of drop and boom you have solid results.  Except the Calcium tests.  Those you have to count to get your exact number.  And the master kit is around 100 to 120 buck something like that.  I need to get another one here soon.
Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 11:18am
I use Salifert as well.  The first alk/cal kits I had there seemed to be a place during test where the color change was unclear.  

I ended up getting the same kits but the paper said they were updated with a different formula.  After testing the color changing was much better and usually was clear within 3 drops.  

API for ammonia/phosphates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic