Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Clown Tang Very Skinny

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Merk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Clown Tang Very Skinny
    Posted: May 01 2011 at 1:33pm

What success have you all had with Clown Tangs?  So far he only eats Nori and Brine Shrimp which, is hardly nutritious.  I've soaked it garlic but I'm on my way to by some vitamins to soak the food in.  Also, I think I'll try Spinach and or Brocolli but I read that it's good to boil it first.  I've also tried Spectrum pellets but he refuses everytime and he doesn't eat very much Mysis shrimp. 

Suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Edited by Merk - May 02 2011 at 1:44pm
Downtown Salt Lake City
801-809-2367
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 1:36pm
These fish are notorious for being difficult to keep and wasting away in aquaria. I would try some Emerald Entree, it's probably your best bet. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Merk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 1:54pm
Difficult to keep?  Yes.  I've got some Emerald Entree that I purchased a few weeks ago and he just sniffs it and swims away.
Downtown Salt Lake City
801-809-2367
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 2:23pm
That's too bad. Have you been feeding enriched brine? You could always add something like Vitamarin-M to the food to boost nutrition further.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 2:57pm
Steve,
 Would Selco work? I have several frozen bags and I would be more then happy to give you a bag. A little goes a long way!
 Pam
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 3:02pm
It may work, but at this point it's mostly up to the fish. 

Merk- Have you tried feeding fresh caulerpa? 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 3:09pm
Merk,
 If you would like a bag of the Selco your more then welcome to it. It is very fatty so if you so the BS it will make it more nutritious.
 Pam
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 6:44pm
Tangs love nori! It's normally their mainstay.  I've had a couple in my time, if they don't eat they swim around until they are super thin and die.

I wish you luck they are so pretty!
Merk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 7:02pm
I bought a small bottle of Kent Marine Zoe to soak the Nori that I feed him and I'm also going to try soaking Spinach with Zoe tomorrow.  I'd be grateful for a bag of Selco Pam but I wouldn't be able to get out to Grantsville anytime soon.

Thanks all for the advice.  If any others have suggestions please chime in.

Downtown Salt Lake City
801-809-2367
Merk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 7:10pm

Oh and yes I have a lot of Caulerpa Prolifera in my tank that he DID in fact graze on a little and then ick showed up and now he is in a quarantine tank.  I'm treating him through hyposalinity.

But thanks for mentioning that Cap'n Morgan, I'll try throwing some Caulerpa in his tank.
Downtown Salt Lake City
801-809-2367
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 7:26pm
We will bring it to you.
 Pam
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 7:57pm
How much Nori do you feed? Any other Tangs or Herbivores in the tank?

Clown Tangs are very active fish and need to graze costantly.

I take a half sheet of Nori and fold it down to the size of a deck of cards and hang it on my algae clip. I leave it there until it is all gone,

I feed that half sheet daily. My CT swims up to it and picks off pieces every few minutes. The only other straight herbivore I have is a Kole Tang. The CT eats maybe 70% of that half sheet himself.

I also feed various frozen to the tank once a day.The CT will nibble a bit of the frozen BS, mysis, EE, even saw it try a couple of bloodworms... But it mainly goes for vegetable matter.

Also try a veggie based flake - mine eats that as well.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Merk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 1:30pm
Thanks Bob for the info.  No other herbivores in the tank except for Muffin, my Ocellaris clown.  I give him probably a 1" x 3" strip of Nori everyday and my Tang is about 4 inches long.  The thing is that he won't finish the Nori strip that I give him so I don't give him bigger pieces. 

They're definately not voracious eaters like anemone fish so I'll make sure he has something to graze constantly.  I soaked his Nori in Kent Marine's Zoe formula overnight to add extra vitamins. 

What brand of veggie based flake do you use?

Edited by Merk - May 02 2011 at 1:36pm
Downtown Salt Lake City
801-809-2367
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic