Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400 Watt MH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jbruse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbruse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400 Watt MH
    Posted: April 30 2003 at 5:18pm
Hey guys I got a 400 MH fixture housing and reflector and I wanted to know if I could just buy a light to put in it, it is 400 watt pulse start is this the right type of fixture/ballast for the good reef bulbs?  If it is they can be had CHEAP!!
jbruse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbruse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 5:20pm
Forgot to mention we can get them here in town for $88.  So if they will work we could all be running MH at almost no cost.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 6:19pm

jbruse,

Tell me more! I would be very interested in a couple. Let me know where you got it.

Shane

p.s. How's the tank coming along?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 6:22pm

Yup, just wire it up and screw in a bulb.  Most bulbs will operate on a probe start ballast which is cheaper then the pulse start ballast.  Here's a link to a 400 watt probe start ballast ($53 plus shipping):

http://www.hellolights.com/40magmagm59b.html

You might want to check locally for a probe start ballast, I'm guessing they can be had locally for about the same as at hellolights.

jbruse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbruse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 6:49pm
If anyone has a old MH bulb we could try let me know.  I am going to try and pick up the thing tomorrow and if anyone has a bulb they can bring to the meeting I will bring it with me.  They have bulbs but they are only 4000k (not good enough for a reef tank).   Also Jon do you know if this will work with a smaller bulb and where is the best deal to be had on MH bulbs?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 7:11pm

Not sure what you mean my smaller bulb, but the only bulbs the probe start ballast won't fire is the HQI (double ended) and Radium bulbs.

For bulbs check www.hellolights.com and www.marinedepot.com and I'm sure others can chime in too.  Is there anyplace local that can compete pricewise?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2004 at 3:04pm
Old thread but new question, maybe...

We found 20, yes twenty, M59 ballasts and fixtures for $15 each (with GE 400W bulbs which are a useless 3500 Kelvin)(Funny thing, people (I hope not hobbyists ) are stealing the bulbs and leaving the ballasts/fixtures!). When searching, we found the same Hellolights page link that Jon gives above. It shows quite a few 400W bulbs that will work with an M59 Magnatek ballast. These 20 ballasts are made by Lithonia Hi-Tek. Are we correct in assuming that this ballast is useful with those same bulbs

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2004 at 9:31pm

Mark, where and when can I pick one or two of those up?

Rodney

Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2004 at 10:25pm
Yes mark they will work.  A M59 ballast is a M59 ballast.  That's a good price.  Another $7 for a socket, a few buck for odds/ends/wire, $50 for a bulb and you've got fairly cheap sunlight .
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2004 at 9:20pm
Thanks Jon.
And thanks to Crazy Tarzan who found them and notified me. They are at the Provo Deseret Industries store.

I'm getting some PM's. Perhaps one person can buy six or more and then sell them to others that couldn't make the trip.
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2004 at 9:49pm
Yeah I'd like a couple!
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2004 at 9:56pm
Mark are they multi-tapped for use with 120 volts?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2004 at 10:38pm
Recalling what Crazy Tarzan and 8isenuf said when they saw them, yes they are for 120V.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2004 at 7:06pm
What ever happened to these ballasts? Did someone pick them all up? If so I am interested in buying two. Please let me know.
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 3:44pm

Just to reconfirm what has already been said...  I have a Cooltouch lighting setup and it came with 2-M59 ballasts.  They work fine.  I'm currently running 400w 10k Ushios but have decided to go with the 10k XM's (more PAR) when I change them out. 

Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 7:23pm
DON'T BUY THE BALLASTS FROM THE D.I. IN PROVO! I
bought one today to see if it would work, and they are only 480
Volt Ballasts. Unless you have that kind of a circuit in your
house (which I highly doubt) then it will not work.

Anyway, I'm glad to be the test dummy to find out if these
worked, but don't waste your money...

Coincidentally, if anyone does have a 480V circuit in their
house, let me know. I have a Ballast for sale for only $10!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 7:27pm
Bummer...
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Bummer...

Yup...
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 7:31pm
Hmm....   tranformers, coils of wire....  electromagnetic currents...  I bet you could figure out how to get one to work off a 120 v outlet...  however don't know what else it might do to everything in the house.   Maybe some new zooanthids would pop up in your tank after a while...  
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2004 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Recalling what Crazy Tarzan and 8isenuf said when they saw them, yes they are for 120V.
Sorry to all that bought them. I was only going on what I thought I heard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic