Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good Ca Test Kit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Saltwater Trish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltwater Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Ca Test Kit?
    Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:39am
I currently have the nutrafin test kit and it stinks.  It's so hard to see the color change.  I'm looking to buy a new on and am wondering what's the best.

Advise is much appreciated! Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltwater Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:40am
Advice Embarrassed
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:45am
I like Seachem, Salifert and Sera.  I probably use the Sera the most, and like it the most.  I have them all, bring some water over and we'll test it.  

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:54am
I use the Red Sea one and it is okay.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
badger126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 12:09pm
The older salifert one I use is ok, I would say it's hard to tell which color it is sometimes though. It changes from a pink to a blue  and when it's changing it passes thru a purple. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish whether it's purple or blue.

I don't know whether they've changed the newer ones though.

Edited by badger126 - March 17 2011 at 12:09pm
FlooringGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 12:11pm
I use Salfert. I have a similar experience to badger but I think it is still very accurate.
Call me for Carpet, Tile, or Hardwood. (801) 263-9600
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 12:25pm
Ive never had a reason to not trust api. Its the same sort of deal as sailfert changes from pink to purple then blue.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 12:33pm
Red Sea does the same color change pink - purple - blue.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 3:06pm
It can be difficult if you have trouble distinguishing variations in color. I use the Salifert Kit and fortunately my color perception is pretty good so it works well for me.

Hanna Instruments is working on a digital calcium checker which should make things easier for those with limited color perception. Here is an article from Glass Box Design.

Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saltwater Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 9:30pm
Thanks everyone!  Yeah, the one I have changes from pink to lilac or light purple and it's a killer to tell when it changes.  I have the master kit by nutrafin and i'm just not thrilled with it.  My water parameters are good according to my test kit.  That dang Ca is just giving me a fit trying to figure it out.  I usually do it twice and still have trouble telling when it changes.  I'll see what I can find tomorrow when I'm out and about.  I think Aquatic Dreams only carries nutrafin Angry.  I tested Ca tonight and (if i read the stinkin' color change correctly) it was 440.  Kh was 180 and pH was 8.3.  Should I get a buffer for pH or is 8.3 ok.  I'm going to do a water change tomorrow, as it is time.  Just paranoid I guess about it all.  Learning as I go Wink
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 9:36pm
8.3 is textbook perfect. Alkalinity is far more important than pH, if you maintain your alk and Calcium, pH will follow. API makes a pink to blue calcium kit. It works well for me.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 10:36pm
I played the LFS water test game.  Nutrafin I believe, 2 different stores, they never came up with the same numbers.  I have tried API and found it to be closer and more consistent to my own tests, which I have decided to do myself using the Salifert tests.  Salifert was recommended as being
 the most accurate, and the price of the test kits will certainly support that.  Being a newbie, and making several attempts at the water chemistry game.  I have found Salifert to be  excellent.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2011 at 8:56am
The final reading is supposed to be taken when the color is definitely blue. It's usually a dark blue. Realize also that this is not and does not have to be an exact science. The difference between Ca of 400 and 450 makes little difference. What really matters is to have the Alk and Calcium stay fairly steady and balanced somewhere within the ranges.
Alk 8-14 dKH
Ca 350-550 ppm
Mg 1250-1500 ppm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Merk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 9:56pm
I vote for Salifert and I've tried others like Red Sea, API and Hagen.  I use Salifert kits for all other tests too.

Edited by Merk - March 23 2011 at 9:58pm
Downtown Salt Lake City
801-809-2367
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 11:20pm
I would have to say Mark has got it! i have used salifert, red sea, api and hagen(nutrafin). the only 2 i trust are salifert and hagen. i now use hagen only with no problems. it is tricky at first though it took me a while to get it down, all CA tests seem this way. i would just keep trying and maybe test a saltwater mix with set parameters (normally higher end salt).
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 1:25am
I'm currently using salifert but have had good luck with API also. Can't wait until Hanna comes out with the calcium and mag testers.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic