Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pure Ocean Water.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pure Ocean Water.
    Posted: March 04 2011 at 11:06am
Headed to Cali. this up Coming Week.
Thinking of bringing back some Pure ocean water.
What to you think the Draw backs to this could be.
Any suggestions or Ideas?

It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 11:21am
what part of cali are you going to?
In la jolla at Birch Aquarium At Scripps
I remember you can get free seawater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 11:24am
San Clemente.
I will look in to that.Any other points of interest,i would like to know.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 11:28am
It seems like a lot of work for a little benefit to me Paul. 

What were you wanting to use the water for? Water change or setting up a new tank? If it's just for a water change the dilution in the existing tank won't make the seawater much better than a good salt mix. You may get some bacteria or other life in the natural seawater but your tanks are pretty well established so I don't know if that would be all that beneficial. 

How much were you planning on bringing back? 
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 11:32am
You can actually buy ocean water from petco (I think).

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 11:56am
Want to Introduce New Life.

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 12:36pm
introducing new life is probably a hard thing to unless you can travel the water as fast as you can back to your tank, i doubt you'll find any new organism that you cannot find from someone else tank, it can also be a probability that it can bring organism that you do not want in your tank
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 1:26pm
Remember too the water in cali isn't quite as warm as the water in our tanks.  You wouldn't think it makes much of a difference, but the 2-3* difference when diving in hawaii vs cozumel was noticeable to me, I can't imagine what it will be like for an organism in the water from cali going to the water in our tanks.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 6:10pm
Well.Just a thought.

Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 8:55pm
Petco sells natural sea water in plastic lined boxes. I used it on my tank and I got a few cool things pop up but nothing great.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 11:41pm
It's a great idea, but may not be too practical. The water off the Pacific coast is not tropical so the things living in it will not do so well in our tropical reefs.
LW needs to be aerated. It cannot be sealed in a 5 gal bucket and left for more than a few hours or it will start to die and later smell bad because there is incomplete biofiltration to process the waste.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2011 at 11:51pm
on my last trip to california i brought back some snails and a few other things well the snails didnt make it and i wasnt sure if it was ok to add them to my tank (those few that made it) and i also found some nudibranches they were small but they were like 3 or 4 i didnt even know they were there
It's not about what you know but about who you know

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 12:16am

Guess i will just visit Thier LFS.Gotta have something Cool.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic