Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dosing Mg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Haley'sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dosing Mg
    Posted: March 03 2011 at 11:14pm
Does anyone see anything wrong with dosing epsom salts for Mg? I know that the sulfates can build up over time, but with 10% weekly water changes that should eliminate that problem right? Thanks for your comments and suggestion!
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 11:21pm
some people will say thats fine... i believe you should ALWAYS use a mixture of chloride and sulfate. chloride is always gonna be your best "transport" for mag (well anything really)... so with a better transport will mean better growth... plus your not putting all that sulfur into your tank. i know things can use up the sulfur, but not nearly as well as the chloride
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 11:27pm
Brs sells it pretty cheap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 11:42pm
BRS sells what, MgCl? What about using the ice melt from like costco?
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 11:43pm
BRS does sell it pretty cheap... i found some ice melt the other day that says 100% mag chloride hexahydrate.... from everything i can tell it is 100% the hexahydrate is just how the salt crystal forms with 6 H20 ions (at least thats what i got from the read).. i am ordering some from brs tomorrow and going to do a side by side test to see if they are at all different... if they are looks like i have my ice melt for next year lol
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 11:44pm
thats where i bought mine costco..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 11:44pm
Do you just mix their magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate? Or can I just mix the epsom salts with the magnesium chloride...
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 11:51pm
right... magnesium sulfate is epsom salt....
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 12:08am
Seems like its kinda a gamble to use some random ice melt for MgCl Im not saying there isnt ones out there that work just fine without releasing crap into the water but until someone does a study and says that a particular brand is 100% reef safe. Why risk it? BRS is pretty cheap obviously not as cheap as costco. If you think about how much your spending over the course of say like a year it really doesn't cost much. These company's say 100% MgCl or for calcium 100% CaCl but in all actuality they aren't even close.

To me its worth the extra $ to have the peace of mind.

Edited by wickedsnowman - March 04 2011 at 12:10am
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 12:26am
A molecule is a molecule and spells out what something is.. MGCl2-6H20 is magnesium chloride 2 hexa hydrate is 6 parts water. Now I am not saying that maybe its not stored wrong, or packaged in a non- sterile enviroment, or comes in contact with bad stuff... but, I know a ton of people that only use driveway salt for there calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. I belive his name is ken heart out in west jordan says he uses tons of calcium chloride rock salt and never had an issue. And he has a pretty stellar tank.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 9:21am
This is a good instructional video on mixing up Magnesium. You can use Magnesium Sulfate or Magnesium chloride form what ever source you want. I get mine form BRS as well and it lasts a long time. I bought mine as part of the 2 part starter kit a year ago and still have about 1/2 of the product left so over time the cost is minimal but you can save money if you want to use Ice Melt or other products. It's best to mix the Mag Sulfate and Chloride and this video covers the proper amounts to mix up one gallon of Magnesium solution.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 10:36am
I didn't read all the posts above- just jumped down here to say that we use a ton of epsom salts for our tanks.  As in those 4 pound bags..... we buy 5 or 6 of them at a time every few months.  

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 11:58am
I did a mix of the BRS MgCl with Epsom Salt as I couldn't find the MgCl cheap alternatives.  Of course, the recipe calls for 5 cups of the more expensive MgCl to the 3 Cups of Epsom Salt in 1 gallon of water. Confused  That said the Mg dosing is less often and less expensive than the Calc or Alk dosing.

If you have a gallon jug, add the salts, then add the water (warmer is better for dissolving the salts) and within 24 hours it's crystal clear.
ejcatmul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejcatmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 4:42am
So I have a question of similar nature. Not to throw this thread off topic. I have a Bryopsis problem and want to treat it before it gets out of control. I have been dosing Kent Tech-M daily and am attempting to get levels to the 1500 mark. I have been dosing for about a week and it appears it is not getting any better but actually getting worse. I do feed heavily and feed corals with Reef Chili or Coral Frenzy. I use te Hanna Checker Phosphate checker and each time I get the reading 0.00. I am sure there is pO4 in my tank, I am not sure why I can't detect any. Anyone treat Bryopsis this way and can share some advise? Or should I just give it few more weeks

"Noob"

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 9:21am
The OP has been answered very well.

As for the Bryopsis problem:
The reason PO4 and N compounds are at or near zero is because the algae is eating it as fast as it enters the water.
Algae is such a wonderful water purifier.

Tech M must be added until the Mg level is over 2000 ppm to start killing Bryopsis.

The extra feeding is actually just feeding the Bryopsis you are trying to get rid of. I would definitely recommend stopping the feeding for 4 days and feeding half as much after that. Trust me, everything will be fine without feeding, in fact it will be better, as the rest of the  biofiltration catches up to the overfeeding, in effect 'eats up the food'. When a tank is not fed so much the fish and inverts start eating more algae. Algae is a major part of most fish and invert menus.Smile A healthy reef tank actually feeds itself by growing some of it's own food, but that's hard to discover until we cut off and then slow the feeding from then on.

How many of what type of snails are in this 40 gal tank?

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 02 2011 at 9:28am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ejcatmul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejcatmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 4:47pm
Prob close to 50 dwarf cerith snails, some large Florida cerith snails, Nassarius, astria snails, blue legged hermits, Nerites. I am prob just being impatient and admit to over feeding the fish. My kids love feeding the fish and always come to me and want to feed the fish. Thx for the advise Mark, much appreciated

"Noob"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic