Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SAVE the BABIES - Clownfish Nursery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SAVE the BABIES - Clownfish Nursery
    Posted: February 14 2011 at 9:56am
Do you have spawning Clownfish/Anemonefish? Percula, Ocellaris, Frenatus, all species.  Bring the larvae to us and we will raise them for you.

We can accept larvae from your Anemonefish and raise them in our nursery. If your pair are laying on a tile, even better, because you can capture all the larvae and bring them to us immediately after hatching. We can show you how.

If this idea takes hold and we are raising a lot of babies, we won't be able to keep track of your particular babies, but they will be raised according to age and size so you will know that your babies are among a specific lot. and you can have your pick from that lot.

Thanks to Nick Tenney, Donna and I are raising his Clownfish. I have done this before so I have confidence we can raise yours. Please call (no text) the number below to make the arrangements.
Together we can save the babies. Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 11:08am
This is a great idea. I'll see if I can catch mine when they hatch next and give you a call.

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 5:16pm
Here is our wish list to ensure the best survival of the babies:
1. Call us several days prior to the hatch night for planning and preparation
2. Ensure the following parameters of the spawning tank:
    Salinity 1.024-26
    Alkalinity about 9-10
    Ca ~400-500.
3. Prior to egg laying, the parents must be feeding on good frozen foods (Emerald Entree & Rod's Food are good choices - Dry processed foods are unacceptable)
4. Ask for assistance, if needed, regarding hatching and collecting larvae
4. Larvae must be dipped out not siphoned
5. Record the spawning tank temperature the night of hatching
6. Transport and deliver Larvae in approximately 4 gallons of tank water that was kept insulated in transport (not heated) so that it is around 1-5 degrees cooler than the parent tank.
7. In the transport container place a small piece of LR and if possible a little algae from the originating tank/system

All of this is designed to give your little fishies the best chance at survival. Smile
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 6:45pm
good idea if i see my maroon pair laying eggs i will give you a call 
It's not about what you know but about who you know
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 8:33pm

Edited by ptronsp - April 03 2011 at 4:18pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 8:48pm
Mark- I think it's a fabulous idea.  I hope people call you.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 10:10pm
just out of curiosity, is there something special i should be doing to get my clowns to lay eggs, i had them for about two months now and the are digging under their anemone but as far as i am concerned no egg
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 4:28pm
It can take 6-12 months for an adult pair to decide to spawn. What usually helps is to keep looking at ways to improve the health of the system. Each improvement, even small ones get the pair closer to feeling the love.

Feel free to call me to come over and take a "Look Sea". I have seen so many hundreds of tanks that I can often spot some things that can be changed to make things better.

Donna and I have decided to make this offer for several reasons:
- I've done it before and have taught other hobbyists how
- I notice that more and more people are seeing their Anemonefish spawn
- so many people were interested in Nicks success with these baby Clownfish
- I wanted to keep that momentum going
- foods are better now than when I first raised Anemonefish
- to make more tank raised Clownfish and Anemonefish of all types available to the hobby
- As I am resuming coral farming, Donna expressed a desire to raise Anemonefish Smile
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by davser davser wrote:

is there something special i should be doing to get my clowns to lay eggs,

Feed them lots

After you have accomplished that.  Feed them some more.

Adam
ps- reducing stress can help as well, but first worry about feeding them lots
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

It can take 6-12 months for an adult pair to decide to spawn. What usually helps is to keep looking at ways to improve the health of the system. Each improvement, even small ones get the pair closer to feeling the love.

Feel free to call me to come over and take a "Look Sea". I have seen so many hundreds of tanks that I can often spot some things that can be changed to make things better.

Donna and I have decided to make this offer for several reasons:
- I've done it before and have taught other hobbyists how
- I notice that more and more people are seeing their Anemonefish spawn
- so many people were interested in Nicks success with these baby Clownfish
- I wanted to keep that momentum going
- foods are better now than when I first raised Anemonefish
- to make more tank raised Clownfish and Anemonefish of all types available to the hobby
- As I am resuming coral farming, Donna expressed a desire to raise Anemonefish Smilem
Mark i would really appreciate if you could come over and take a look at my tank  and help me make it better for this guys spawn, when is the best time to call you? 
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 12:14am
I am excited mine laid again this evening.. hoping for a good batch. I have rotifers coming out of my ears :).
 Pam
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 2:18am
Anytime except when I'm asleep.
I'm usually asleep right now. Smile
rnkjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnkjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:38pm
Our clown fry hatched about a week ago and another batch of fry hatched last night thanks to Nick and Marks help they have survived!! Thanks Guys!!!
RUSS&KATHY
125g 2'x 4' mixed reef-45g refugium-2x250 MH-2-65 watt actinics-Neptune pro controller-Ca reactor-Ozone
120gal live webcam
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:41pm
That's awesome!
 Pam
rnkjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnkjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 10:43pm
Together we can save the babies. Big smile
RUSS&KATHY
125g 2'x 4' mixed reef-45g refugium-2x250 MH-2-65 watt actinics-Neptune pro controller-Ca reactor-Ozone
120gal live webcam
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 9:31pm
Mark- you should contact this guy

Adam
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 9:58pm
Cameron and I have spoke.. really nice kid. He said he did it once to see if he could and he was successful and now he is done with it :). Very nice kid.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 11:53pm
Still accepting larvae or if you can remove the rock or tile that's even better.
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 8:48am
Mine are just a few days old and attached to the biggest rock in the tank. I am sure you could carefully scrap them off if your interested. My female is orange male black....
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
saltlaketank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltlaketank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 3:16pm
Sounds exciting! Brittany and I have two fairly young ocellaris clowns now, they are very loving of each other so one could only hope to see babies eventually.
JayDee 8016042780
90 Gallon
30 Gallon sump
G3 Skimmer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic