Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SAVE the BABIES - Clownfish Nursery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 10:59pm
We can't scrape them off the rock but we can catch them after they hatch.
Connie please call me. Donna and I would love to come see your tanks and collect the larvae.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 6:50pm
You & Donna are welcome anytime but trust me, there is no catching larvae in my tank. My fish wait patiently when they are ready to hatch and its breakfast..... I do have frags of orange cap, and a purple and green chalice if you want them....
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 8:58pm
Mark,
 Do you have any now? How are they?
 Pam
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 8:26am
With all the interest that people were showing for the baby Nemo's and the Clownfish Nursery during the Reef Tour, I hope many of you will actually act upon that interest.

To answer the comments and questions I missed from recent posts:
Connie we can work around the predators. Please call me. I don't have your number.
Pam, we have been working out the bugs, actually the worms, in the system. This week we are expecting a rock with eggs and a new batch of larvae.

Quote This is a great idea. I'll see if I can catch mine when they hatch next and give you a call.

Catching them is easy. I'll show you how. Raising them is the hard part and very labor intensive.
Moving the rock into the Clownfish Nursery is even easier, if the rock can be moved. Feel free to loan me the rock or tile they laid on. If moving out the rock is impractical, I'm happy to come collect the larvae when they hatch. Let me know when they lay eggs and we can work out the schedule. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 10 2011 at 8:37am
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 10:57am
Hey mark, how much are you selling your babies for when they are ready?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 9:53am
No idea. We'll have to see how good they are when the time comes.

Some may have seen this already but I want to let everyone know that Pam and Troy /ptronsp are now taking larvae too. They are offering to do the same as this topic proposes, only they are having better success at it. I'm just a man. Nurturing babies is not my forte. I don't have the patience for it.

Clap Please take them up on their offer to take and raise your clownfish spawn.
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 1:04pm
I would be very interested in buying some babies when they are ready.  My tank should be ready to go in a few weeks "I hope".  The last time I had a tank up "about 5 years ago" I had two Clown fish that kept acting like they were going to spawn but I don't think they ever did "unless someone ate all the larvea"....  Then my pair of clowns got the ich and died Cry.  I was pretty bummed, hopefully I have much better luck this time around.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 2:52pm
Do you know what we have found to avoid Ich?
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 3:02pm
Mark,
  We can do this together! Smile. I have finally found what works for me. If we can raise babies and avoid people taking from the Ocean.. how great would that be? Wink

Originally posted by zippeay zippeay wrote:

I would be very interested in buying some babies when they are ready.  My tank should be ready to go in a few weeks "I hope".  The last time I had a tank up "about 5 years ago" I had two Clown fish that kept acting like they were going to spawn but I don't think they ever did "unless someone ate all the larvea"....  Then my pair of clowns got the ich and died Cry.  I was pretty bummed, hopefully I have much better luck this time around.

Our babies currently are only 20 days old, 18 days old, and 3 days old. It will be a few more months before they will be ready to go . Typically between 4 and 6 months of age is the time breeders are willing to let them go. That being said when they are ready you can have first dibs Smile.
 I am sorry to hear about your other pair dying!Cry...that is terrible, you become attached to these little guys!

Pam

Edited by ptronsp - April 20 2011 at 3:05pm
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 8:39pm
Mark, No what is it?  Pam, let me know when they are ready, my kids will love them!
rnkjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnkjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 10:39pm

WE HAVE BEAUTIFUL "Goldstripe Maroon Clownfish" - Small Tankraised for $15 each

Edited by rnkjones - April 20 2011 at 10:41pm
RUSS&KATHY
125g 2'x 4' mixed reef-45g refugium-2x250 MH-2-65 watt actinics-Neptune pro controller-Ca reactor-Ozone
120gal live webcam
zippeay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippeay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 10:51pm
I would love to get a few but I need to let my tank cycle first.  I just set it up last friday... :(
rnkjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rnkjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 11:07pm
just let us know when you are ready
Thanks
Russ and Kathy

RUSS&KATHY
125g 2'x 4' mixed reef-45g refugium-2x250 MH-2-65 watt actinics-Neptune pro controller-Ca reactor-Ozone
120gal live webcam
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 11:12pm
Zipp,
 For ich use garlic in their food. We use Garlic Guard, by Seachem. It is a liquid.
 Pam

Edited by ptronsp - April 20 2011 at 11:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic