Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Andy’s Phyto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 9:19am
sounds great Mark! I really would like it soon also. if you want i can paypal you now for it. Let me know
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 9:49am
Payment at time of pickup is fine for me.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
dianatabor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 10:40am
Okay, so who's ordering the Phycopure and when?

I'm going to be out of town Dec. 22 - 27, so if there's going to be an order during that time, I'll have to pay you in advance and maybe have you hold it for me in your fridge for a few days.

Suzy, if you were planning to order in a few weeks, that would be fine, because I'm still using up a bottle of DT's. Just let me know what the plan is, when you have one! Thanks!!!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 11:07am
Mark the site says it is good for 1-2 months! do you believe it will last that long?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 12:00pm
Wow! Looks like this is going on without me! that is too cool,
'cause I didn't want to charge it!

Put me down for the culture sample pack.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 12:06pm
Yes the site does say that so I was wrong in my statement above about it only lasting 2-3 weeks. I've edited it.

Unless Suzy or someone else objects, I'll go ahead and place the order on Tuesday. That will give time for people to see it on Monday. It seems like there is a lot of traffic to the site on Monday. I'll hold it in my fridge until pickup. I don't need payment in advance.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 12:24pm
How are you getting pure cultures?
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 12:50pm

Suzy, this site gives some good info...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/breeder.htm

Here are some quotes from the site...

Numerous studies have shown that marine fish are unable to synthesize sufficient quantities of two essential HUFAs; Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)

Currently a few species are readily available and readily adaptable to home culture: Nannochloropsis oculata, Chaetoceros gracilis, Isochyrsis galbana, and Tetraselmis sp.

Nannochloropsis oculata has been shown to contain very high levels of vitamin B12, which is critical for larval fish survival, and it has also been suggested that vitamin B12 is important for developing diseases resistance in larval fish as well.

Tetraselmis sp, produces two antibiotic-like compounds which have been documented to increase survival in larval fish feed on prey items enriched with this phytoplankton. 

Given the above information on the available phytoplankton, which one is the best to use?  Considering primarily ease of growth and sufficient HUFA profiles, N. oculata is my first choice, followed by C.gracilis and I. galbana, and lastly T-iso.

According to commercial experts, rarely is the use of a single phytoplankton suitable for aquaculture of fish larvae. Nutritional deficiencies found in one phytoplankton species can be compensated for by adding another phytoplankton species superior in that missing HUFA. As an example; N. oculata which is high in EPA, but low in DHA can be paired with T-Iso, which is high in DHA.  Some hobbyists even add a small portion of Tetraselmis to this co-culture just to add an antibiotic effect. Studies performed in commercial fisheries have shown that fish larvae fed prey items enriched on diets composed of multiple phytoplankton species have higher survival rates and quicker growth rates than those larvae fed food items enriched with a single type of phytoplankton.  The “take home” message here is that the use of multiple phytoplankton species is advantageous.  If you must only use a single culture of phytoplankton use the one with the highest HUFA concentrations.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

How are you getting pure cultures?
If you are asking me that question, it appears that Algagon sells cultures of the individual algaes.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 5:47pm
He did mention he's working on a sample pack of cultures, and
copepods, so put me down for both
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 10:23am

ME too Me too!!! I'll try these in my next round of growing.

I'll take 1 16oz bottle please.

Patrick
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 2:03pm
Ok, so here is the latest on my quest for a distributor:

NADA!

First, I went to see Kris at Fish 4 U yesterday. Kris actually
knew about the product, has been saving an empty bag but
never actually contacted the company, as far as I know. He did
give me his email address and said I could get the CEO to
contact him.........

This morning, I went to the Aquarium. Brad wasn't there, so I
talked to Doug, who was very polite and did write down the
address of the website and gave me his email......Bought some
mysis shrimp and left.

Shawn at Aquatica told me that he wouldn't sell it because live
algae causes algae blooms in tanks. I told him I think that
would only happen if there was an excess of nutrients, then it
would grow faster than the corals could eat it. He said that
wasn't what he meant, the fertilizer used to grow the live algae
feeds the nuisance algae! I still ended up buying the new
edition of Coral Magazine from him, but didn't buy this
gorgeous pink sps thing!

Chad at the Pet Factory said he would look in to it, and gave
me his email. Ended up buying the pink sps thing at his store!

Erik at Marine Aquatics did give me his email, but said DTs is
live. I tried to tell him they've changed it so it won't grow
anymore, but he says Adam Blundell can take it to his lab and
Adam will tell me it's alive! Bought some cyclopeeze from Eric...

So, I give up on getting a distributor! I can't afford it!

So, I'm thinking that if everybody who went into a fish store
asked for "Phycopure", maybe they would check into gettting it!

Especially you Utah County people! I'm counting on you!

Let me know if anybody sees it anywhere!

Mark, have you contacted the CEO yet? He emailed me about
shipping me a case COD! I gotta pay my stinkin' house
payment!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 4:19pm
So mark are you ordering tomorrow? Do you know when they will ship it?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 4:41pm
Some people that said they wanted some phycopure still haven't actually placed their order...

Suzy !!
Shane H
SSilcox
popplc
BananaTropics

Where are you?

I'll order so that it ships out next week, after Christmas. We don't want it getting lost or delayed and ruined.

Edited by Mark Peterson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 5:09pm
Mark, do you know how much the pure cultures are? Im interested in Chaetoceros gracilis and Isochrysis galbana (t strain) if they're not too much.
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 5:11pm
I guess i better go buy some DT's to last me 2 weeks
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 5:53pm
Mark, I emailed the man I've been corresponding with since
Andys visit to see if it's Ok if you take over. I really don't feel
comfortable bugging him more than once a day, but he gets
back to me quickly, ever since since the production is ready. I
will forward everything to you tomorrow, as soon as I get his
response.

I would like one small bottle of phycopure and a culture of
rhodomonas.

Adam, he told me the rhodo culture is $20 for 8 ounces. Mark
can find out if all the cultures are the same. Wanna share?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 6:08pm

$20 for a culture start is pretty expensive. From what Ive heard, rhodo is very difficult to culture, even for more experienced aquaculturists. How long did your "red" culture stay red last time suzy?

Suzy, if you're looking for a nutritious blend for your fry...you may want to consider mixing nannochloropsis, isochrysis, tetraselmis, and chaetoceros. These species are easier to culture and very nutritious.  This mix would be very high in HUFAs (both EPA and DHA)

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 6:21pm
It was a mix, so I don't know how long the red lasted. I just
wanted to try it ;cause i would know if it was contaminated with
the nanno weed! It's siupposed to look like hawaian punch!

But, now I have a new bug up the butt! I want acartia tonsa! 9i
have to google it! this guy is way over my head!)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 10:57pm
Suzy, Don't bother, I'm going to just start up the correspondence with him right now. I'll mention my friend, Andy Rhyne and that I'm doing the group order that you started.

Here is what I wrote:

Your friend, Andy Rhyne, visited with our club the Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society at the beginning of the summer. I took Andy around for two days, even took him fishing where he caught his first Rainbow Trout at Trial Lake in the high Uinta Mountains. Perhaps he told you that he used my son's fishing pole but the old reel broke so he pulled in the trophy Rainbow by hand!

Anyway, I was able to use an 8 oz. pac of Phycopure and liked it. A member of the club, Suzy Applegarth started a correspondence with you with the intention of buying some Phycopure and some pure cultures. Unfortunately, she is not in a position to pay for the two(2) cases of 16 oz. pacs that we all want, so I'm taking it from here.

There is also some interest by one or two of our club members, to buy some pure starter cultures, specifically Chaetoceros gracilis and Isochrysis galbana (t strain). Is it possible to buy some of these?

Please reply to me and copy to Suzy ([email protected]) so that she knows you are corresponding with me.

Thanks,
Mark Peterson
WMAS Treasurer/Membership
(801)296-1563
[email protected]

Edited by Mark Peterson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic