Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seahorse article

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seahorse article
    Posted: December 14 2004 at 10:53pm

I can't believe I'm actually starting a topic about seahorses.  It is ironic because I really don't like talking about them. 
Anyway for you seahorse people out there (Suzy) I could use a favor.  Please read this article and tell me what you think.  It just came out about 10 minutes ago.  I know the author and considered inviting her as a speaker (before we had Bob Burhans).  I don't really care to read through the article so please let me know if it sounds like she knows what she is talking about and if this is useful.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2004/fishb.htm

Thanks

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 6:33am
Adam-- Ijust read that article.  Has a lot of good begginer information.  However to me (mind you this is my opinion) it jumps around a little to fast and frequently and kind of just skims the mentioned subjects.  It could have been a touch longer and added a little more in-depth information for each subject.  However like I said great begginer, easy to get a taste of seahorse keeping quickly.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 6:52am
I agree, a good beginner article.

I did notice a few things that made me think, but mostly, good
beginner info.

I actually thought your article was way cooler!

(But, this is not speaker stuff, 'cause Nate coulda told you that!)
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 7:17am
Ok, maybe I shouldn't give my opinion on this because my wife keeps telling me I am extreemly irritable right now because of finals. Oh well.

I found that this paper was only mediocure.

It seemed aimed beginners to the aquarium hobby not at experienced hobbyists wanting to try seahorses for the first time. I also felt that while it was directed at beginners it used a lot of technical jargon that a beginner would not understand. Lastly I felt that the author herself was not an expert on the subject but that she was doing a research paper on the subject.

To me it was like reading an ok college research paper without any citations.

Im sorry if this sounds rude. Maybe I am not in a position to judge it, but Adam asked for opinions.

Edited by Kevin
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 9:07am

Kevin-
Don't feel bad, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear.  In terms of honesty, what the comments are didn't matter to me, but it was that insight I'm looking for.

Adam

lex0219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex0219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 9:21pm
so u only asks suzys opion i have been into them for 3 years and know a crap load that hurts
"I will search until i find my happily ever after"-renee

tanks
10 gal dwarf
30 gal fw
10 gal nano reef
12 gal nano cub

The Air Force is where it is!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2004 at 7:42am
He just loves me more!

Adam, I though she was your friend, so I didn't get too grumpy!
But, now that the cat is outta the bag, I agree with grumpy!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2004 at 8:50am

Thanks Suzy.
Alex- we have lots of seahorse lovers here, but Suzy is rock solid in terms of talking about them.  I knew she would reply, not sure who else would.  Please do share your thoughts.

Adam

lex0219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex0219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2004 at 8:59pm
lol i was just kidding wit you but i think the artical is a good begginer artical as suzy said but i do not agree with some of there information
"I will search until i find my happily ever after"-renee

tanks
10 gal dwarf
30 gal fw
10 gal nano reef
12 gal nano cub

The Air Force is where it is!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic