Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Rock for the tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rock for the tank
    Posted: December 25 2010 at 4:37pm
I wanted to post some before and after pics of my new rock in my 90g sumpless setup.  Here's the before pics...

I only have one of each fish except for the Clown pair.  They just followed me across the tank as I took the pics.  Vain prima donnas. Big smile

Edited by vadryn - December 25 2010 at 4:40pm
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 4:51pm
OK.  Here's the rock I'm adding.  It's all dead.  The lighter stuff is quarried fossilized reef and the other is a Fiji rock.  They were pretty close in price, so I got 10 lbs and of the lighter Eco rock and 5 lbs of the Fiji to see what it was like.  The Eco is more like swiss cheese while the Fiji has smaller holes but seemed to hold more air, so I suppose it's much more pourous.

After rinsing it off in the tub, mostly to eliminate dust, I added it to the tank.  Here's the rock.

vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 4:57pm
So, 9 peices of Rock, 15 lbs total.  My goal was to add interest to the tank, including more hiding places for fish and real estate for corals.  I also wanted to see if I could free up more space on the sandbed.  I hear so much about getting rock off the sand bed, so it must be important.

In short, I think I have accomplished all three.  Less rock on/in the sand bed, arches and depth of landscaping.  Maybe it's not as friendly to see everything all the time, but I believe fish should have places to hide to destress.  I think it'll let me handle more fish in the tank eventually too.

I have some "after" pics but the tank was still a little cloudy, so I am going to try for another batch in a few minutes.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 6:10pm
OK - cloudy pictures will have to do for today.  Not just from what I did, but some of the fish are digging, stirring it up again.  Angry 

First things first - I needed to redo the area where my Bluespot hangs out.  I love where he is, so scaring him into relocating was not an option.  It took a lot of try and retry.  I probably had to redo some areas 4 times or more to get them stable.  I was able to pull 3 rocks from the sand and put them up, as well as changing the one over the bluespot to a much smaller footprint.  Here's how it stands now.

My final concern is that the additional rockwork will restrict flow too much.  I have Koralia 1400s to replace the two 1050s if I need too.  That said, I have between 40x and 45x flow, so I'm hoping it's not necessary.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 9:49pm
Though it's hard tell on the left side(something looks messy), I'd say you did a good job. If you are like me, in a few days or a week you'll look at it and say, "I think I know how to fix that one spot," and my arms go back into the water and when it clears I say, "Yeah that's better."Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 9:33am
Yeah - those pictures don't do justice to the left side.  Now the water's cleared I will get a new one.  It's actually quite open with a couple of "bridges" but it doesn't look like it in those pics.

Not that your wrong about the reworking - I am always open to further inspiration. Cool
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 11:15am
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 6:18pm
looks good manThumbs Up
skimace7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimace7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 12:26pm
I like!
120 gallon mix Reef mainly SPS and LPS...
tropi_gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropi_gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 9:55pm
I like too!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 10:05pm
Travis -

Your setup is really coming along quite nicely!

ClapClapClap
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 2:50pm
It's time to post a new picture or two.  Some things I have notice are the hermits hanging out nonstop on the new rock, clearly feeding on the brownish fuzz that appeared.  Just yesterday I took a closer look and could clearly see green coraline starting to grow just about everywhere.  It's that light, almost flourescent green color.  We'll see how long it takes for the pink and purple to start showing up...  That's just 2 weeks to get significant life on the rocks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic