Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snails?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snails?
    Posted: November 26 2010 at 5:41pm
 OK I started this on another thread and then last night after the lights were off for a few hours I decided to get a flash light and see if I could see anything going on. Well there were snails everywhere. Small little snails that seem to only come out at night and they seem to like my Zoas? And idea what these could be? I took several out of my tank but I have to see if I can put the pic on here.

Pam
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 9:28pm
I would not be immediately worried about it, unless you can see marks where they have been chewing on the Zoanthids.
If I recall correctly in the other thread, the Zoanthids have been retracted lately. This often happens because of a biofilm of bacteria and algae growing on them.
Snails are great cleaners.Star
Most snails eat algae. If there is a lot of tasty algae growing on the polyps, that would be the reason for the Collinista Snails partying on the Zoanthids. Just for fun, we can say that Cyanobacteria is a "Combo Meal" of algae and bacteria in one.Smile
I would take an old toothbrush and give the Zoanthids a good brushing. Don't worry, they are very tough skinned. They actually love it and usually come out bigger and better than ever after the cleaning.

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 26 2010 at 9:33pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 10:00pm
Thanks so much Mark. Is is common for these little snails to just come out at night then? I see crabs on them all the time but these little snails only seem to come out at night. You know the saying "The freaks come out at night".LOL
 I am going to try that with the toothbrush.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 8:21am
Almost all snails are nocturnal.
When the amount of snails and the amount of available food(algae) is in balance a tank might have hundreds of snails but only a dozen will be seen during the brightest part of the day.
Have you noticed the movement that occurs in the tank during the twilight hours of dusk and dawn? Fish are heading for bed and snails are waking up. Smile

One possible but unlikely concern here is that something more serious is going on with the Zoanthids. If, when brushed, the Zoanthids seem to be disintegrating, brush a little softer and let us know here. Then, if you can, check the Alk and Ca and post a pic of the tank.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic