Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brown algae and bubbles on sand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brown algae and bubbles on sand
    Posted: November 21 2010 at 5:01pm
I've cut off 4 of my main lights off the last few days but the algae on my sand keeps growing. No water changes or anything since I've added my sump a couple nights ago. But the algae has been growing since before I added the sump. Did the addition of my sump help the algae grow? How should I get rid of it?

Oh, and my params a normal except that my alk and ca are a bit low but I added some Kents Tech CB Part B

Edited by evan127 - November 21 2010 at 5:05pm
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 6:32pm
Its the bio filtration it has not caught up with the new water volume. it will eventually disappear once the filtration is fully established on the sump.
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 7:17pm
Make sure you have fresh carbon in a high flow area in your sump.
90 gallon mixed reef
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 9:54pm
There isn't much filtration in my sump yet. I need to get some carbon though. I have been meaning to go get some live rock. In the mean time, I will cut my lights back and feed less.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2010 at 10:28pm
For me this crops up as soon as I start feeding too much...... I can't help myself sometimes... but once I cut back it's good again.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 2:41am
Originally posted by evan127 evan127 wrote:

There isn't much filtration in my sump yet. I need to get some carbon though. I have been meaning to go get some live rock. In the mean time, I will cut my lights back and feed less.
Have you read about the four live components that will start up a new marine aquarium? I wouldn't do it any other way.

Sorry, but Activated Carbon doesn't help here. It does not take the algae feeding pollution out of the water.

Along with bacteria, algae growth is a normal part of keeping a reef aquarium and what you are seeing is the normal part of starting up a new tank.

Macroalgae helps eat pollution/nutrients too and looks a lot nicer than the brown algae. Get some Macroalgae and give it good light. It will eat the Nitrogen compounds that make up the "cycle".

Snails eat the brown algae and the green algae that will soon follow. Get more snails. Snails are more useful than you know. Get more snails.

Keeping lights to a minimum just prolongs the brown algae growth. Algae growth is one of the main filtration processes of a reef aquarium. The balance between algae growth and having enough herbivores to eat the algae is an important part of keeping a reef aquarium.
And did I mention to get more snails. Wink

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 22 2010 at 2:52am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 11:35am
More snails. Got it ;)

I have chaeto in my sump right now, but its a fairly small chunk. It'll grow though. What other macroalgae would be beneficial?
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 12:05pm
Leave the light on on your sump 24/7 to help the chaeto grow.  Plan on more snails, if you've been feeding regularly don't feed for a few days.  Running a skimmer?  If so make sure it's tuned right.

Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 3:04pm
No skimmer yet. I will leave my lights on 24/7
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic