Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

setting up my 29 gal reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 8:25pm
Just tested again, and ammonia is zero!  But now my Nitrite is going up.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: slightly above zero, but less than 0.25
Nitrate: 0
PH: 8.1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 9:10pm
Here is a picture of the brown algae starting to grow on the rocks, sorry the picture is not very good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 11:37pm

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: almost 0
Nitrate: 0

Edited by Davidwillis - October 22 2010 at 11:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 11:51am
Parameters still the same today.  The nitrite is being suborn and staying just off zero.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 12:39pm
That is typical as the nitrite bacteria are slower growing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 6:01pm
Thanks... it has been so long since I have cycled a tank I couldn't remember.

It is strange I am even seeing a cycle since I used the rignt now bacteria.  It is supposed to cycle in the first 24 hours.  But I guess I can't complain too much.  That ammonia and nitrite spike was not very big, especially since I stocked the entire tank at once...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 2:46pm
Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all zero now...Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 8:08pm
Not much to tell, all parameters staying the same.

I did change the rock around to give more room for my flame angel to swim between the rocks.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 8:52am
That reefscape looks very good. I believe I can see a few coral. Some Caulerpa would complete the picture helping the scape look less barren.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 11:00pm
Thanks.  Yes, I have two corrals, a hammer, and I can't remember what the other one was.

But it does look barren, Caulerpa would add too it for sure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 5:55pm
Added some LS, a piece of LR, and a few more corals given to me from vadryn.

Thanks!!!

All parameters are still the same, except the temperature raised up to 79 due to turning the heat on, and the room with my sump gets very warm.  My giant green polyp withdrew for a day, but is now starting to come out.  I don't know if that was due to the temperature or not.  I may need to put a fan in that room to keep the temp down.

Edited by Davidwillis - October 31 2010 at 5:56pm
reefguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 7:53pm
I really like your rockscape.  I disagree about the caulerpa, I think macro in the display looks terrible, thats what refugiums are for.

Edited by reefguru - October 31 2010 at 8:15pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2010 at 6:51pm
Thanks!!

I am not very good at taking pictures.  They look very bad.  But here are some more.

I think the reason my coral was unhappy was that he did not have enough water flow where I moved him to.  I moved it to a little higher flow area and it opened right up and is looking great again.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 9:49am
Is that a PennPlax algae scraper I see there?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 10:11am
No, it is an aquarium systems algae scraper.  It is a very old scrapper, and does not float, but works ok.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 11:37am

Well I have to say I am very happy with the way this system is working so far.  My next stage of the experiment is more long term.  I plan to do very few and very small water changes, or mayby none at all...  I am thinking I will probably do a 5-10% change every 6month, or every year.

However I am guessing that I will have to add something to keep the corals happy, and I may have to worry about the alk, and calcium levels....  I am really looking forward to what Bob has going on here: 

Or I may just add some ph rock to my pipe full of arogonite.  You can see the description here:
http://www.memory-doctor.com/Aqua/PHadj.html
it would add 28 trace elements, but not strontium.

Anyway, I am fairly new to what I need to add for corals, in fact I have never added anything other than just water changes.  So any suggestions ?

here are my water parameters which have been constant for a while now.

temp: 75deg (goes up to 80 when I have my house heat turned on)
specific gravity: 1.024
Alk: 11
ammonia: 0 
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0

Edited by Davidwillis - November 03 2010 at 11:37am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 3:41pm

I decided to do another tank video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7BYDWQCoyI

All water parameters are still the same.

Edited by Davidwillis - November 05 2010 at 3:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2010 at 8:48pm
I have been noticing my flame angel seems to be getting HLLE.  I thought I could see something a few weeks ago, but now I am sure it is getting worse.  It is probably due to me not feeding very well.  I have just been feeding some flake food.

Does anyone have some good suggestions for food a flame angel would like that will provide better nutrition than my cheap flake food?

Thanks
David

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 5:31pm
I just added 17 coral frags to the tank, so I decided it was time to get testing kits.  I got a calcium, and phosphate.

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">
Temp: 75deg
specific gravity: 1.025
Alk: 12
calcium: 300
ammonia: 0 
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
phosphate: 0.5

It looks like my calcium is a little low, and my phosphate is high....

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 6:48pm
Calcium is your bigger concern of the 2. Either do some big water changes or start dosing.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic