Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My tank is cracking!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My tank is cracking!
    Posted: September 18 2010 at 3:48pm
Well, it hasn't cracked yet, but I want to avoid that. I hope I got your attention.

Glass tanks are usually built with the side panes sitting on the edges of the bottom pane. I have to set up a tank that was built with the bottom glass (green) centered in between the four side panels. Standard silicone was used in it's construction.

What would be the best way to support it, to keep it from cracking or leaking?

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 4:32pm
I would silicone a 1/4 sheet of ABS to the bottom, I put ABS on the bottom of every tank i build as well as leemar.  
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 4:33pm
How big? Whats it sitting on? (Is this the little one in the wall? )
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 5:35pm
Is there a plastic or metal band around the bottom, or is it just the glass sitting on the stand?
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 6:17pm
Mark- tons of tanks are built with the center bottom inside the side walls. It is super common.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 12:02pm
I guess I don't realize that it's common. I just know that every tank without a frame that I have seen has the side panels sitting on a bottom glass panel. This is the wall tank that I am working on. 42"x4.5"x20". They built it with the tank set on particle board secured with a single bead of silicone across the center. This high centered the bottom glass. I feared it would crack so I removed the board and the silicone. These tanks are famous for cracking within a year. I have devised a metal frame for the bottom. I was wondering whether I should just run a bead of silicone around the bottom edge and let it sit on that, but a piece of plastic with silicone between the glass and metal frame sounds like a good idea.
Does the silicone cover the complete surface between the ABS and glass?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 12:16pm
It Doesn't have to you can put small little spots this is just to hold the abs in place

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic