Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

jeremys new tank build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: jeremys new tank build
    Posted: September 15 2010 at 9:49pm
Welp i did it... I moved, sold the 90 gallon tank, bought a 180 and then started to.... WAIT nope I didn't set it up I set it in the garage. Got settled in our new house, and THEN BAM a great deal on a 210 gallon tank including stand and canopy. So got it, painted the stand/canopy black to match the house. Still setting up but here are the pictures.

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 9:53pm
Ill keep adding pictures. But this is what Im going to be running, Im going to run a mag12 maybe 2 of them as a return. asmg2 skimmer ... times 2....... Calcium reactor as you see in the pictures. Not pictured is my UV sterlizer and two little fishys reactors. Im not running a fuge... I dont believe in them on large tanks... I will run several powerheads in the tank probably the korillas that I have for now but eventually mp 40s. Other than that the 2 lumaric 250 w MH maybe a third in the middle, we will see about that when I get them set up. It depends on the look. And then retro t5s on the front side and back side for actinics. Let me know what you all think. Oh I have about 100 lbs of live rock in my bosses sump and in my work tank. I will be taking some live sand from both as well when I get water in this beast!
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 10:03pm
I LOVE the no fuge part! Good skimming and let your DT do all the bio work. Looks good so far. Where did you move to?
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 10:09pm
curious, why do you not like a fuge for a larger tank?  What is the purpose of the sump then?  A RDSB?  Just increased amount of water?
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 10:32pm
I'll probably get burned alive for saying this but Refugiums from what I have been told by experts and what I have read are actually more harmful than beneficial for a reef tank. The biggest purpose for a sump is to hide all of the ugly things you put in your tank to keep it healthy (skimmers, heaters, filtration.etc) I know there are a few things that a refugium section can help with but other than that it is just wasted space that you could be using for more water volume.

After doing some talking to people I know that have been doing this a long time, I decided to pull all the baffles out of my 20g high and just run it with the return, a filter sock that is changed once a week and my return pump.

Now that my tank has been running for a month i'm going to be ordering a skimmer this weekend before my trip to Cali.

Edited by Ahanix - September 15 2010 at 10:42pm
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 10:33pm
Forgot to mention that even though I took out the baffles, I still put a piece of acrylic in my sump to trap any microbubbles. i'll probably silicone it in, or silicone one in my 20g long if it will fit in my stand

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Chris Scott Chris Scott wrote:

curious, why do you not like a fuge for a larger tank?  What is the purpose of the sump then?  A RDSB?  Just increased amount of water?

I don't really care for fuges on any tanks. I think they can be beneficial but have to be large IMO. These little 10 gallon fuges people put on their tanks really don't do anything IMO.

Sumps are great for many things. In sump skimmers are way better than HOB. Plus you can put heaters, filter media and probes all in the sump to hide them. You also get more water volume which is always a good thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Ahanix Ahanix wrote:

Forgot to mention that even though I took out the baffles, I still put a piece of acrylic in my sump to trap any microbubbles. i'll probably silicone it in, or silicone one in my 20g long if it will fit in my stand

You need to make sure that your water level in the sump stays constant where the skimmer is.

I have one baffle in my sump. The skimmer sits on the side that the return from the tank goes into and the other side has my return pump. The return pump side fluctuates daily but the other side is constant.

Skimmers do best when the water level is constant for them.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 11:17pm
I think fuges are fine. Cheato does a pretty good job of sucking up bad stuff. I do agree with Ryan though that you can let your DT do a lot of the job, just give your DT a 3-6 inch sand bed and your DSB is way bigger then anything you could do in a fuge. I've never read anywhere that they can be harmful though. I suppose if you let your cheato die that could re-release nutrients into the water. Remember folks it's only a nutrient export if your REMOVE it from time to time.

Really though cheato is a pretty cheap solution to a ton of problems and you don't necessarily need to have it in the sump. I know tons of people who don't run fuges who have used it in their DT to clean up the occasion excess of nutrients from say a fish dying.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 8:30am
Ok so I agree with all the above to a point. I think that a fuge has its place but in a tank this large no way. I do take care of my bosses 220 gallon tank and I have put cheato in there occasionaly if I see numbers start to get out of wack. It helps me bring things back naturally. But that has only happened 1 x maybe 2x in the last year.

The sump is for the skimmers, uv, carbon and for my main thing moving the water. I love that it moves and oxygenates the water.

I have just seen more tanks my size without a fuge than with one. AND THEY LOOK AMAZING! Go down to Aquatica, ReefRunners, I think even Erics show tanks all run with out the Fuge!

Ryan I bought a home here in PG so just up the road from my old place
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 2:20pm
Welp filled her up with wate put salt in it. Got the skimmer working. Had some problems at first with the water gurgling coming down the drain but it seems to have stopped. Other than that it looks really good I will get some picture of it up when I get the canopy up and lights installed.
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I don't really care for fuges on any tanks. I think they can be beneficial but have to be large IMO. These little 10 gallon fuges people put on their tanks really don't do anything IMO.

Based on personal experience, I have to disagree to some extent about the statement above.  While my system (120G tank / 150G volume) is not necessarily considered a large system (over 180), it has undergone quite a change over the last year.  For several years, it was just mainly a softie/LPS tank with no fuge, but last year, I decided to ramp it up.  As my sump was already full, the only way I could add a refugium was to do it remotely, in another room behind the wall.  At the time, my nitrates were testing in the 30 - 40ppm levels and, within 30 days of adding the refugium, they fell to undetectable levels.  I haven't gotten so much as even a slight tinge of pink on the Salifert test ever since, even at low range through the side.  Same goes for phosphates.  I've since taken further steps to reduce the possibilty of nitrates and phosphates creeping up by upgrading my skimmer, adding a GFO reactor, etc.  But to say that small fuges do nothing at all, at least in my experience, is certainly not the case.

Just curious about the aversion to refugiums.  I can understand people deciding why they do or don't want to use one...but there's this sentiment with people throughout the community that are really against them.  I've seen signatures like, "Friends don't let friends use refugiums".  What causes people to be so against them?

Just friendly banter here. 

Edited by jcom - September 18 2010 at 10:20pm
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 4:43pm
since I have started using ecobak I'm turning my fuge into a frag tank! I have no phosphate or nitrate problem at all (undetectable) and have taken all macro out of my fuge! I feed my fish 3 times a day and my corals 3 times a week. Lots!!
I have been really sick for the last week and want to apologize to people because I haven't responded on the Ecobak! But I will tomorrow!!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 10:03pm
Ok so here are the updated pictures, cycle went fast as over half the rock was live, used some live sand and water as well. Carbon reactor is set up, UV sterilizer is up and running, skimmer is on and off (got to fix that) socks on the returns... diatoms have come and gone. I just need to put the last 250 watt light in the middle so it may look a little weird right now. Let me know your thoughts

w/flash

w/out flash

Right

Center

Left
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 10:43pm

You guys are nuts. Or i just go the other way. My 200 reef has a 100g+ sump fuge. It has a pukka rock sand bed growing TONS of pods and cheto. (natural food and nutr. export) On my 180/75 I run a 100g sump/fuge as well with a DSB.  I have plenty of room to hide All of the uglies with all of the benefits of a remote space for bugs and cheto growth.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 11:32pm
I don't run a fuge per se right now, but I have a compartment in my sump that holds chaeto... with a good CFL light right above it.

Started with a clump of cheato the size of a golf ball... 2 months later the cheato is close to basketball size now. If nothing else it is helping to pull out nitrates and phosphates from the water column before any nuisance algae can develop in the DT.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 4:49pm
Oh you people and your silly little fuges.. lol

anywho, Here are the fish that Im toying with to put in my tank... not for sure as to if I want all but these are the ones that have peaked my interest want to see what everyone thought, and which ones I should do.
(oh I will have lots of LPS and SPS corals in there. NO SOFTIES though)

2 blue hippos
2 fire fish (red or purple)
Blonde Naso Tang
Sailfin
Some type of Rabbit Fish
Powder blue tang (not sure yet on this one)
Orange should tang
Sohal Tang
Blue Throat Trigger
Dwarf Lion Fish
8 clown fish (these are already in and doing very well)

Now these are a maybe as well
Lubocks wrasse
red head fairy wrasse
blue head fairy
whip fin fairy
scotts fairy
leopard wrasse
flasher
mystery

Let me know your thoughts or if you would add any what would it be. Thanks.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 5:09pm
Awesome tank so far!

Blonde naso and orange shoulder tangs are good choices! I don't think you could go too wrong with the Mystery wrasse or a flasher wrasse either.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 5:12pm
I would do a pair of helfrich's firefish, they are rad!
As for the wrasses here's what I would recommend:
Mystery Wrasse
Exquisite Wrasse
Filamented Flasher
Carpenter's Wrasse
Pink or Red Margin Fairy Wrasse
Peppermint Hogfish (I haven't had any trouble at all with mine)

Depending on your budget these wrasses are AMAZING and pretty easy to keep:
Golden Rhomboid Wrasse
Lineatus Wrasse
Labouti Wrasse

They are all awesome fish!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 5:15pm
I like Helfichs but they are so dang expensive! ...... I like that list of wrasses... hmmm a hogfish eh?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic