Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Needlewheels are for sissies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Needlewheels are for sissies
    Posted: September 01 2010 at 11:50pm
I got the itch to try something different for a skimmer. I worked on a few for members here, hope you are all still satisfied. And I made a couple for myself, but they were all needlewheel skimmers. At work a little while ago I started playing with a huge, dual beckett skimmer and decided to make a smaller version.

Becketts and downdrafts are awesome skimmers, the only problem is that they require large, powerful, pressure rated, expensive pumps that take up a lot of space and use a ton of electricity. This is still in the planning/r&d phase, but it looks really promising. I am using a mag7 pump to run it, 65w, not much bigger than your fist. I don't think a 65w pump on a skimmer is excessive. Tonight I put the airflow meter on it for the first time and was a little surprised.
The numbers are a little hard to read, most of the time it pulls between 40-45 scfh on the meter.
The body is just a 4 1/2" tube with no bottom, and a 3 1/2" neck. This thing easily pushes foam all the way out the top, so I am getting about a two foot head of foam. I wish I had an orp meter so I could see how much it affects that. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I will have it finished and have a better idea what it will do. I will leave the pump in the sump and plumb it externally, the Mrs. will love seeing another piece of fish equipment in the office.
Some day, when I grow up,...

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 11:57pm
mike your crazy =)
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 9:38am
Nice mike, My ASM G2 is still doin awesome!
Chance Evans
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 12:37pm
How big are the bubbles if you cut a bubble in half its there is twice as much air surface area meaning you need half as much air to do the same thing
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 11:19pm
have you seen the new "gridwheel" that ATI is putting in their new skimmers?

They are going to be a total needlewheel killer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 11:20pm
The bubbles look big in the video, for some reason when I had the flow meter on it, the bubbles got bigger, and the head collapsed a little bit as well. Don't take the title too seriously, I am still running my other skimmer with the needlewheel and it's doing a great job.

I know bubble size is a big issue in any skimmer, I also know that becketts and downdraft skimmers process a lot more water than any other type. I have also seen them increase the oxygen level in the tanks they are on by quite a bit. My main purpose is to see if you can make one work well with a much smaller pump than is used traditionally. Most of what I have read recommends a pressure rated pump that will do at least 1000gph at about 8' of head pressure, I think the mag7 only does around 350 at that height.

Edited by fishoutawater - September 02 2010 at 11:22pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 11:30pm
That looks really hard to diy, lol. I'd love to see the inside of that air intake on the volute. That looks radically different than the usual venturi as well.

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 11:32pm
I don't want to take this thread too far off topic but I figured it fit.

The new ATI skimmers look really sweet to me! The whole design is awesome.

Edited by Ryan Thompson - September 02 2010 at 11:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic