Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Noisy Drainage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noisy Drainage
    Posted: August 27 2010 at 10:39am
I'm looking for tips and tricks to make the drainage system on my tank quieter.

I've just got my durso dialed in so it's not flushing but now it's really noisy. It makes a constant gurgling sound. I've tried adjusting the flow rate on the returns and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Even worse than the durso is where the drainage pipe drains into the sump. The bubbling noise is really loud. I tried running the pipe deeper into the water but that seemed to make it worse. Currently I have it about 2" below the water level. The pipe is a straight shot from the bulkhead to the sump. I've thought about putting a couple 45's or something in to reduce the speed of the water entering the sump but I figured I'd check with the experts here first.

Info on my durso: 1 1/2" pipe and fittings on the top end reducing to 1" at the bulkhead. 1" pipe from the bottom of the bulkhead straight down into the sump.

Thanks in advance for any help.
21G Reefer Nano
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 10:54am
How big is the hole on top of your durso cap?
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 11:33am
I read that it was easier to fine-tune by using multiple smaller holes. I started off with one 1/16th hole. I slowely worked up until I ended up with 5 1/8th holes. That's the point where it stopped flushing.

Edited by Shayne - August 27 2010 at 11:34am
21G Reefer Nano
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 12:38pm
I added filter socks to help with the noise mine was making when hitting into the sump. 
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 12:54pm
Filter socks work great for the sump problem. You could also use foam to line your stand to dampen the noise. Instead of using 45 deg elbows why not install a ball or gate valve to adjust the flow? It could be that the water is just flowing too quickly for the durso to handle all the air getting into the pipe.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

It could be that the water is just flowing too quickly for the durso to handle all the air getting into the pipe.
That's what I suspect was happening but I wasn't sure.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Feel free to keep them coming.
21G Reefer Nano
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 3:33pm
My Modified Durso can draw water close to as fast as without it, yet it is very quiet.
It sounds like it's the way the water drops that is causing the problem. Place a long length of flexible corrugated pipe (thin walled sump hose available at HD and Lowes) at the end of the drain pipe. Begin with a length of corrugated pipe long enough to make a full curl underwater.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

My Modified Durso can draw water close to as fast as without it, yet it is very quiet.
It sounds like it's the way the water drops that is causing the problem. Place a long length of flexible corrugated pipe (thin walled sump hose available at HD and Lowes) at the end of the drain pipe. Begin with a length of corrugated pipe long enough to make a full curl underwater.
I'll give it a try. Thanks Mark!
21G Reefer Nano
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 5:04pm
To further explain, the straight drop to the sump is drawing too much air with the fast falling water, almost like an open waterfall.
Another thing that might work is to slip a ball valve on the end of the drain and give the valve an adjustment which backs the water up just a little, making a puddle in the pipe and stopping air from rushing down into the sump. The corregated tubing method is much safer because sometimes snails end up going down the drain and a big one, if caught at the ball valve can seriously jeopardize the drain.
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2010 at 5:16pm
Yeah, I thought of that same thing with the ball valve idea. I'm going to pick up some corregated tubing tonight.
21G Reefer Nano
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2010 at 7:02pm
Looks like the corrugated pipe idea worked. Everything is much quieter now.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
21G Reefer Nano
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2010 at 7:34pm
I had a bunch of extra pvc and an afternoon to kill, so I made a Hofer Gurgle Buster. It took some time to get everything adjusted correctly, but it is really quiet.
Before I had the HGB I also put a ball valve on the drain and that helped a lot as well.
I like the HGB because with the tubing you can raise and lower the point that the air enters the drain, making it very quiet, without needing to dial back the drain speed.

Here's a link with instructions.
http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB

Now I just need to figure out how to make my skimmer a bit quieter and my system will be nearly silent.
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2010 at 7:45pm
I was actually planning on making one of those originally but a few people pointed out how it would be easier for it to plug up so I decided against it.
21G Reefer Nano
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2010 at 8:01pm
I used the gurgle buster for a while and it works well. I prefer my durso though. And you're right I did have to check the HGB from time to time to make sure it was running clean which I don't have to do with the durso. HGB's are great for tanks that have little space in the overflow.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2010 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

HGB's are great for tanks that have little space in the overflow.
The Modified Durso I developed solves that space problem and doesn't clog up.

laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2010 at 10:51pm
Hey smacky tcfab can make silencers for skimmers hit him up! Also silencers for dursos!

Edited by laynframe - September 03 2010 at 10:51pm
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 10:34am
Awesome. I'll ask him about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic