Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Good place for camera deals and recommendations?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good place for camera deals and recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good place for camera deals and recommendations?
    Posted: August 16 2010 at 5:42pm
Hi All,

I'm looking to get a decent camera.  Not top of the line, but better than a point and shoot.  Looking to spend somewhere between $300-500.  Know of a good site for good deals?

What should I be looking for in a good camera for fish tank shots?

Thanks,
Chris
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 6:21pm
I would look on e-bay. There are alot of good deals on there.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 6:28pm
Are you wanting an SLR or just a nice point and shoot?  I really like the waterproof/shockproof/bombproof/nukeproof olympus point and shoots.  I own the nikon D3000 DSLR and love it!  you may be able to find a used one with a lens or wtwo for around $500.  adorama.com and bhphotovideo.com aresome good places to find deals.  They also have some used stuff on there and refurbished stuff as well.  Hope that helps.  Tell us what you want out of it and we can help you better choose something that fits you.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 6:34pm
Thanks I'll check out those sites!

I think I want more than just a point and shoot (although I do like their mobility), unless some of them have gotten good enough to take good pics of a tank (is it wierd that I'm basing my purchase on what will look best for my tank? LOL).  I'm starting to read about these "Interchangeable Lens" cameras.  Which seem to be smaller than dSLR's but with nice lenses (but they're pricey).  But yea, maybe I'll just go with a used dSLR off of ebay or something.

55g Bowfront Corner Reef
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 6:38pm
I would love a camera that I could use a macro lens with
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 6:40pm
Nick was selling his slr a little while ago  Canon Xsi.   I don't know if he sold it.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 6:59pm
Personally I would spend a little extra for a dSLR.  It is a little more up front but it will last you forever and save you money in th long run.  Lenses for those interchangeable cameras are really pricey and you can enjoy the benefits of an SLR for just a little bit more money up front.  But those little cameras do take some nice pictures.  But that is just what i would do.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

Nick was selling his slr a little while ago  Canon Xsi.   I don't know if he sold it.

I still have it but I decided to hold on to it for a bit its a great camera, I just thought I could upgrade to a t2i or something (For video) and for some reason I was thinking they where like $750 or so but they are more like $1250

PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2010 at 9:29am

I bought a Cannon G-10 for my wife and I have been very impressed.  I shoot a Nikon D-300 and I have compared the two.  This "point and shoot" stood up and gave an excellent comp to my DSLR.  The G-10 sells right around $500 new and if you buy it at Pictureline their Warranty Dept. is awesome.  Call Marcus and he will match any price you find on new equipment.

I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 6:29pm
Is the nikon d-3000 a good camera?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by bugzme bugzme wrote:

Is the nikon d-3000 a good camera?

Nikon are great cameras. When I upgraded at the beginning of the year I went back to Canon and got a Canon 50d and love it!!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 1:02am
Newegg for sure

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 2:51am
I own the d3000 and love it.  It is a great DSLR. There are nicer cameras out there but I do not think you can go wrong with it for the price.  It just all depends on what you want to use it for
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 3:41pm
How about a cannon eos rebel xs? Good or bad?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 4:00pm
jeff Id start at like xsi I think they discontinued the xs? but I could be wrong?
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 4:08pm
I found a new 1 on ebay. good price! any drawbacks that you know of?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 4:15pm
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 4:35pm
The Canon EOS is a good series, I had one a few years ago and now my parents have it when I upgraded. Also the person that auction is through is great to work with I bought my Nikon I had through them a few years ago.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 4:42pm
Jackie, Is that camera easy to run? I know nothing about cameras!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by bugzme bugzme wrote:

Jackie, Is that camera easy to run? I know nothing about cameras!

I think it is;) I loved my Rebel.
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic