Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ahanix's 40g Breeder 2.0 - 10-31-10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 10:51pm
update?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 11:52pm
update?

I haven't seen him on here in a while. Hopefully all is okay!
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2010 at 12:20am
Well, here goes. I know it's been a while since I have updated this, but I finally am getting things back in motion. Got my skimmer going and my rock in the tank, I probably will hunt for one more piece of live rock, but that will come later, I finally have room for coral

Here's my skimmer after two days, I had emptied the cup once due to over-tuning and pouring a bunch of clean water in the collection cup, so this was about a day and a half worth of skimming with the skimmer still breaking in.

And here's a picture of my new rock, I'll get some better pictures as soon as I clean the glass up and move a couple more rocks around. Need to remove the diy jawfish house too, if I can ever get my blenny to come out of it for more than a minute.

Edited by Ahanix - September 28 2010 at 10:05pm
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 10:05pm
Bump, here's the first update in a long time, finally starting to get somewhere

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 10:30pm
I like the new scape! That rock looks nice, thats probably what Ill use when I upgrade after the holidays.  Skimmer looks like its working well, whats your impressions of it? Is it quiet?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 10:44pm
I love the new skimmer, it's extremely silent, I had my return pump off and I had to try really hard to listen for it. It actually officially broke in about 10 minutes ago so i'll post some more pictures tomorrow of the skimmate

Edited by Ahanix - September 28 2010 at 10:45pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 1:01am
cool looking forward to seeing it
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 2:05am
Looking good Clap
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2010 at 7:00am
Looks great! Clap
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 9:17pm
Here's a couple pictures of the skimmate I pulled. I dumped out the skimmer right after I took those pictures, and this was up until about an hour ago.

Please note that the "bubble line" was about 65% the way up the neck, so it was an even skim, not too dry, and not too wet (from what I understand)

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 10:28pm
That looks really wet to me. Mine doesn't pull out an inch of gunk in like 7-8 days but it coats the collection cup lid and neck with a thick slime. I would lower where the bubbles break if that makes sense.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2010 at 10:38pm
Makes perfect sense, I need to figure out a good level though because with how low the bubbles were the neck is completely black    I lowered it a little more though just to see what it would do since that seemed really wet to me too

Edited by Ahanix - September 30 2010 at 10:38pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

That looks really wet to me. Mine doesn't pull out an inch of gunk in like 7-8 days but it coats the collection cup lid and neck with a thick slime. I would lower where the bubbles break if that makes sense.

That is how mine is as well.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
jmorrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2010 at 12:09am
the skimate in my collection cup is as thick as mud!

Edited by jmorrell - October 02 2010 at 12:09am
ejcatmul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejcatmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 4:56am
Nice stand looks very clean and neat. I just got a 40 Breeder and was wondering if you had the measurements that you had home depot cut for you or any build plans I might be able to use to do the same stand? Thanks for sharing tour tank thread!

"Noob"

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 9:54pm
Well, with great excitement and a bit of sadness, I will be moving forward with phase 2 of my tank.

First thing worth mentioning is that I took a trip to San Diego and trusted a friend to take care of my aquarium while I was gone. I ended up coming home to all of my fish dead except for one (Which were all left in my tank for however long they were dead), glass I could not see in, and a skimmer that was 75% full of black tar. I'm glad that my Skimmer at least saved my corals if anything, but now I am down to one extremely small clown, and the rest of my inverts. So out with the old and in with the new. I guess if anything I can really stock my tank with the fish that I truly want.

This phase will be correcting any previous things I did not like about my tank (this includes things that my wife wanted changed as well)

My stand didn't turn out exactly how I wanted it, the paint job is pretty horrible and I will actually be selling this or pretty much giving it away for someone that wants to spend the time on it as soon as everything is moved over

Without further ado, here is my list of improvements for my tank

1- I purchased flex PVC for my drain line, this along with a couple of other things will make my tank extremely silent.

2- I purchased a new stand

3- This one is a possibility, but not really a necessity. I may be changing my 20g High Sump to a 20g Long, but thats only if I can find one by the time I switch everything over, which will be Thursday

4- And for the last thing, I purchased a new light, I absolutely loved my fishneedit fixture, but it wont fit in my new half canopy (All sides and a partial top), this brought a perfect option into the realm - The 6 Bulb 36" Tek Elite, which should be here on Thursday.

So pretty much I just need to buy a few pieces of PVC from Home Depot, find a bulb combo I really want, and push forward with the rest of the plans. I'll post pictures of everything when I am done, and also post the ad for the Stand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 10:29pm
Pm sent about your old stand, I am interested. Sorry to hear about your fish dude.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 12:35am
not a very good friend... sorry to hear about the tank
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 12:45am
Oh that sucks, sorry to hear:(
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 10:28pm
Well, off to a new start, spent the majority of my day yesterday, and a little bit today (Re-Aquascaped twice ) working on my tank.

Anyways, I got my stand done, plumbing complete, Tek Elite 6x39w Fixture installed, and everything moved over, these shots are a little dirty, and were taken with a cellphone, but i'll take better shots as soon as my tank clears up completely.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic