Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

125 to 210 Build (Updated w/pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
swiftra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swiftra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 10:55pm
Banshee's are for sissies! LOL J/k Bikes look awesome, tank looks awesome very nice build. Ever ride in cherry creek? That's where we spend most of our time, perhaps we should hook up one of these days?
If you make it idiot proof, someone will find a better idiot!
Well 100g crashed when I moved it. Starting a 50g cube now.
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 4:00pm
LOL Thanks! I mostly go up to St Anthony's. We make it down south about once or twice a year though. Thanks for the compliments on the tank too!
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
LostCauseZ06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostCauseZ06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 10:40am
wow i like that alot. yeah jason (kims nephew) has been one of my best friends for ever. les/kim and the whole bunch are a great group of people.

i still cant believe how bad that accident ended up, definately made me reconsider how i ride and the un necessary risks i take sometimes.

my bike looks a bit different than that picture now but the paints still the same. i really like the airbrush work on most of K&T's stuff. the eyeballs arent my favorite sometimes but i know those guys go crazy for em LOL

cool to see guys with the same interests. keep an eye out for me out at the dunes.

here are a couple more shots and a pick of my truck, keep an eye out for me. hopefully it will be pulling a 40' raptor hauler this season, we will see how that goes though LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostCauseZ06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 10:42am
yeah im a st anthony kinda guy as well. jericho gets too crowded most the time. st anthony is just alot more open and i like the sand alot better. seems really hard to judge the weather up there. it has rained EVERY trip ive made..... Dead

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostCauseZ06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 10:43am
ps, preston kapp as in kapp construction?
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 10:51am
Looks good! Gary is my dads cousin, he owns kapp construction. We are kapp auto sales, just up the road.
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostCauseZ06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 11:31am
ahhh, got ya.

so i think you know my buddy skyler combe and a bunch of my other friends. skylers always at the auctions and has bought a few trucks from you guys i think lol.

small world.  have a facebook? add me and we will go riding sometime.

P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 4:57pm

Its been a while since ive updated anything, Ive been wanting to get my sister in laws camera to try and take some decent pictures. She didnt come over to show me how to use it, so i just kinda winged it. I love build threads with lots of pictures, so I just took a bunch. They arent the best pictures, and the color is off a little bit, but it was fun trying to get good shots. I also finally finished my stand too, so here we go;

my blue tang got sick when it was really small, like 2", and its tail got fin rot or something and grew all back except the one notch there. Not sure why...

Dad watchin his babies

The newest parent in the tank, my male cardinal has a full mouth

Feeding time

Tried getting some pics of my male flame wrasse showing off for his lady. Some are kinda blurry...

Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 6:11pm
looking good Preston. Its come along way since I saw it last : )
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 6:32pm
Thanks Tyler. Still a little bare as far as coral goes, but im trying LOL
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 4:27am
Nice,  
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2011 at 10:50am
I havent posted and updated anything in this thread in a long time. There have been a few ups and downs with the tank, and Im hoping I learned a little from it. After I had this tank for about 6 months I would always think about how great the extra 6" of depth would be that a 180 or 210 would give me. So when the chance to buy a complete 210 gal setup came up, I jumped on it. Its been a few months since I bought the 210, and I have been kinda dragging my feet getting it ready to set up. I have soaked the main tank and sump in vinegar and bleach several times, and they are now clean enough for me LOL. I also refinished the stand and canopy, and replaced some hardware and its ready to go too. Now that those are finally done Im getting a little more excited about it and want to get it running. The 125 was great, and I learned a lot from it, but I want to do some things different with this one that will accomadate to me and my lifestyle better. Thats where I need help Embarrassed. Im going to try to take it subject by subject so I can keep track of everything, and apply it as I go. Thanks in advance for any help!! (Pictures coming)
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2011 at 11:01am

Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2011 at 11:18am
my first question is about the bracing on the main tank. when I bought it, it had about a 2ft wide piece of glass in the middle for the brace (besides the plastic brace around the edges) but I took that out because I want to be able to access the middle of the tank without going in from an angle. Would I be able to get two 6" to 8" wide pieces of glass and put them a couple of feet apart and divide the tank into thirds like a factory brace? Or do I need to rip off the plastic brace and do a full glass eurobrace? Id really like to keep it as simple as possible if I can... 
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2011 at 12:53pm
That method would work fine. You could tear off the original brace and do a full glass "euro" brace, and although they're nice, that is a lot of work. I would not attach to the plastic brace but to the glass below it. In fact, you could do fine with just one 6" wide center brace. The key is the silicone job. When I worked for Mountain Shadow Marine we used a high strength silicone for that type of thing - it's both strong AND chemically safe). I can't remember which kind it was, but you could call them
90G Mixed Reef
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 9:52am

Would it be stronger to just do the one in the middle, or to do two of them a couple of feet apart? While I have the silicone and im doing all that anyway I wouldnt mind doing a couple of them. I just dont want to have to rip off the plastic and do all around the tank...

Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 6:27pm
After thinking about it for a little while, this is kind of a rough draft of what I would like to be able to do (picture is not exactly to scale LOL). I am planning on doing the herbie method with my drains and using all four bulkheads for that, then run the returns up the back. I also plan to build some 1/4 in clear mesh screens to keep the fish in, and dont want to have to build them around the returns. So my idea is to drill holes in two braces and run them through the holes. 

Ideas or suggestions?

Edited by P.Kapp - November 02 2011 at 6:45pm
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 7:15pm
That sounds like a great idea. As far as doing one vs. two braces, it's really personal preference, and depends on the amount of accessible area you want at the surface. You might take that into consideration especially if you're going to have a hood. Without a hood it doesn't really matter if you have two because you can access the water from any angle.
90G Mixed Reef
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 5:43pm

Im probably going to be ordering the glass for the braces pretty soon. Whats a really strong silicone, and where can I get it?

Ive also been working on the plumbing and trying to figure out how Im going to do it and what I need. Hoping to really get this thing rolling.
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 8:45pm
I would call Randy at Mountain Shadow Marine and ask him what silicone they use for glass tanks. I can't remember what it is.
90G Mixed Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic