Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

receding brain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fish Mama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: receding brain
    Posted: April 14 2003 at 1:36pm
Please help! My open brain that my husband gave me a few months ago is receing. One side is almost gone. I placed it in an one of my tanks with a new PC 192 watt light system. i regularly dose with calcium. Do I need to specifically feed this brain? If so, how so the fish don't eat the fod. Thanks for any help.
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 1:57pm

Feed it with a turkey bastor right by one of its openings.  Mine will eat Shrimp, krill and so on.  Just me experience.  If you are seeing its skeleton though I don't know?

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 3:18pm
Is it to big to fit in a upside-down plastic strawberry basket? You can put a tube in the openings and feed with a syringe. It drives the fish CRAZY 'cause all they get is the floaties! I have a extra syringe,maybe an extra basket....Suzy and Rob
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 12:20am

You have not given sufficient information for anyone to be able to tell you what is wrong. It's most likely not the feeding but some water or lighting condition.

Can you tell us about 1)the water, 2)the position of the coral (brains like to be in the sand), 3)more about the lights, 4)what other coral are in the tank, 5)what kind of coral is close and how close, 6)water movement moving past the coral, 7)how old the tank is, 8)the filtration method, and 8)has anything else been changing lately or anything else of concern about the tank.

9)Why do you regularly dose with calcium? 10)Do you test Calcium, Hardness, or pH?

I know this sounds like an ominous list of questions but since we cannot see your tank, we need this info to help find the solution. You may also call me for quicker evaluation.

Mark  296-1563 anytime

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 6:58am
I would also add to the list, how large is your tank.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Fish Mama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 8:04am
Ok, I have placed the brain in my 38 gallon tank high up under my brand new 192 watt PC. One side is dead but the other side looks ok today. I suspect the brain was not getting enough food in my 55 gallon tank. Now I can target feed the polyp when the lights go out.i do like the basket idea as the cleaner shrimp has a hardy appetite. Mark I'll just have to call you.

Barbara
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 8:33am

Barbara,

Yep, my very first thought is that you are burning it.

Again, Brain Coral like it in the sand and the light is less intense down there.

What arrangement, number and color of PC light tubes makes up a 192 Watt PC?

Again, it's not a food issue! My advice is that major feeding may not be good at this time. Make this first change and watch it.

At one time I was trying to get to your place to help with plumbing your tank. Is this is a good time to visit? I am heading up near Holladay today to take my daughter to the dentist. Call today if possible so we can arrange for me to come see the tank.

Mark

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 9:16am
Quote: Originally posted by Mark Peterson on 15 April 2003

At one time I was trying to get to your place to help with plumbing your tank. Is this is a good time to visit? I am heading up near Holladay today to take my daughter to the dentist. Call today if possible so we can arrange for me to come see the tank.

Mark Peterson...have tank, will travel

the man never rests...

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 12:29am

So I made a house call to see Barbara's Brain this evening! 

Barbara has some of the oldest fish in the area. A Yellow Tang and a Maroon Anemonefish that are about 10 years old. They are her first marine fish. She donated a 10 year old 9 inch long Hippo (Blue) Tang to Seabase last year. She lost a 7 year old Cleaner Wrasse last year. (Barbara, please correct me if I'm giving wrong info here)

Jon, next time I make a visit would you like it to be your house?

I had tried to get to Barbara's house for some time and now there was a real need. Yes indeed the Brain Coral had been burned, almost to death. She had moved it from a lower position in a tank with old PC lights to the top of the rock in another tank and then added 2 brand new 96 W PC lights.

The lessons here for all of us are:

1) not to change out every light at once but to replace them in sequence so the coral does not get sunburned.

2) understand the needs of the coral. (Brain, Elegance, Plate, Tongue, etc. like the sandy bottom)

3) when moving coral don't sunburn it

4) use this forum to ask questions before the mistakes are made. At least then, if things go bad, you can blame everyone and not have to shoulder all the blame yourself

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 9:36am
Mark,  My doors are always open for anyone wanting to see/talk about my/their reef!  I've run into you a couple times at pet stores, if you're ever down in Utah County checking on Aquatica, Painted Fish or Jay's Jungle, make a stop in American Fork!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic