Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs anyone here a Marine Biologist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
tycallsky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 7:53pm
I give you props.   I wanted to be a doctor until I worked in a surgical center and spent time around those doctors. Many of them are great guys. But the few that were in charge...
-Tyler C.
[email protected]
undersea-lab.blogspot.com
tycallsky.deviantart.com
tycallsky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 7:55pm
This website has lost it's interest...
-Tyler C.
[email protected]
tycallsky.deviantart.com
Luckedout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 8:03pm
You have to narrow down what you really want to do. There are usually a number of degrees that will allow you to do a certain job. It also goes the other way.... some degrees are broad enough that you have lots of options. Ie: Biology is a good degree then you can specialize in certain areas, get training certificates, work experience etc in the field you want.

Good resources are school advisors. You can talk to them for free at pretty much any school. Make an appointment. You don't even have to have interest in the school. Try UVU, BYU, Steven's Henegar.

Contact places you want to work and talk to heads of departments and ask what kind've schooling you'd need to work there. I shadowed chiros before I decided on it and it made a huge difference.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

tycallsky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 8:11pm
thank you very much for your information. I will do that.
-Tyler C.
[email protected]
tycallsky.deviantart.com
bugzme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 8:12pm
This is not a website to help you get a job. Let's just talk reefs
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Luckedout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 8:33pm
It's a website to help you with the reefing hobby, but that can include how to professionally be involved in reefing or in marine biology. I'd say this discussion was highly relevant before it was side-tracked with off-topic flaming. A good portion of those who read the site are professionally involved with the hobby or with marine life in general. You don't have to follow this topic, so let the guy try and find some advise.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 8:33pm

I have a degree in Marketing.  I work as a regional quality manager for an automotive safety supplier. (Crystal, you can look it up).  

Many, many of the people I work with have degrees that don't necessarily relate to their job.  We have plenty of process engineers, design engineers, and quality engineers that don't have engineering degrees.  I worked as a quality engineering lead for years without even having a degree. Hell, I was even a member of the society for manufacturing engineers for a couple years. Degrees do not always equal title (at least in my profession). 

It may be different in the world of biology.  

Ty - from the programs you listed there are several that may be more diverse than others. Meaning more opportunity for jobs that pay well.  Not sure how old you are, but you might consider going to a university extension or other "working adult" oriented school.  

Don't let this thread steer you away from this site or message board.  It is unfortunate, but there are bad feelings between some people who frequent this site.  Given a chance we seem to want to jab at one another instead of just getting over it.

Good luck!

bugzme View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 8:57pm
Shane will you please close this thread? We want to concentrate on our hobby not our jobs
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 9:04pm
Jeff - sorry.  I'm not an admin.  And, I think this thread is appropriatly placed in the General Posts section.  It could be moved to off topic maybe.

BTW -  I agree.  More time on hobby, less time on job is always a good thing!

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 9:17pm
Tyler I am an aquatics biologist for the state of utah in cedar city. What I can tell you. About being a biologist is that it is a blast... I've tackled antelope... Shocked fish out of mountain streams, and my job regularly includes going fishing... But it is a thankles job and I and my counterparts are not paid well. I make 15.64 an hour (all state empoyee salaries are listed online) and have 60k in student loan debt. The public likes to drive around with piss on fish and game stickers and hate our agency for putting bag limits up but we as a whole work very hard at what we do with no overtime pay.

As far as marine biology I did look into it when I wa in school and my advisor (who is a marine biologist) suggested against it... Jobs are usuallty via research grants at universities. There are fewer jobs with agencies like USFWS and US sea grant... They are very competitive and usually require phds to be competitive which was not spomething I was wanting to pursue at the time. I would suggest working on a biology degree with an empasis on water resources and than planning on also pursuing your MS degree if you want to be competitive in the job market. People that work in these fields love their jobs and become lifers... Working 30 year plus terms... So when jobs do become availabe there is a lot of competition... Whenever we have job openings we get 200+ applicants and all the people who get to an interview hav e masters or more
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
tycallsky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 11:25pm
Thank you for that information, Crystal. To the others: Was that so hard?

The information that you have provided is MUCH appreciated and I will continue to look into Universities and search for more job postings and work with that. Thank you for being a resource for me and please know that although some people may not appreciate what you do, I for one do. Fishing has always been a large part of my life and if it weren't for people like you, I probably wouldn't have the opportunity. So thank you for what you do. I'm sure that my father, grandfather, several brothers and several of my cousins would say the same.
-Tyler
-Tyler C.
[email protected]
tycallsky.deviantart.com
tycallsky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 11:32pm
Oh. To Shane and Jeff: I want to make this hobby a career, and I feel like this post is justified. If you do not wish to be a part of this thread or concentrate on something else, please feel free to take your reading and posting somewhere else. I love this hobby as much as the rest of them, which is why I made a post asking how I could make this hobby a career. So maybe you don't like your jobs and have to have some kind of escape into another world, but I would like to combine the two. It is not so much to ask that I have my questions answered without being verbally attacked by some of you. It is uncalled for and rude that you, Jeff, say such rude things on a post where I so innocently asked for advice in this hobby. (how to make a hobby a job a.k.a. is anyone here a marine biologist?) Please post on some other thread about something else if you don't have any pertinent information to give me. It is not "off topic" it is a general question about the hobby and I deserve to be able to use this website full of reef goers as a resource for my personal life. Again, if you don't like it, please don't post.
-Tyler C.
[email protected]
tycallsky.deviantart.com
Goonter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 12:05am
In Adam's defense, He made logical sense and gave good advice when i talked to him last night. I don't see what the big deal is if he doesn't have a degree. I mean think about it. We all get intrigued by something and we research it. If we research something enough, we start to know the subject really well, and in doing so we gain experience. What makes a hobbyist an 'advanced' hobbyist, as most people claim they are anyway. It is ultimately experience. The ability to know what we would have done differently had we not chosen to do something the way we learned was ineffective.

Tycallsky- i obviously haven't tried personally, but from a business aspect, you could always work on breeding fish, doing maintenance, or propagating corals. I was considering it and did a LOT of research on it. Just in case you haven't considered those 3 businesses. (i haven't actually started one). :)

Edited by Goonter - May 08 2010 at 12:08am
tycallsky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 12:47am
I have given much thought and I have spent the last four months with my noes in a book researching. I am currently working on several research projects *if anyone is interested in working with me, send me a PM* and I will try publishing those research articles in magazines that relate to this hobby. I have also talked to a few people who own online coral businesses and I work at an LFS so I'm well on my way. I would like to start a business, but I need to save up some money for some more high end corals that people want, but to be completely honest, I don't think that online coral propagation could serve to pay the bills, though it probably would not detract. So in short, I am currently working up to the coral propagation and LFS management. I also found an interesting degree while searching online. Here is a link if anyone is interested in obtaining a Masters in Zoos and Aquarium Management. I still have research in this school to do.

http://mais.gmu.edu/concentrations/show/LA-MAIS-ISIN-ZAL

-Tyler C.
[email protected]
tycallsky.deviantart.com
Irish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 1:29am
Originally posted by EagleEyez5 EagleEyez5 wrote:

Irish,

I always thought he did have an degree in Marine Biology because of the descriptions given on the MAX, MACNA, 120 gallon reef podcast and many other sites were it states that he does.

I just asked where he got his degree because if there is a way to do it locally, I would be interested.

Hmm that's odd, I just looked up his profile on those sites and I couldn't find anywhere that said he had a Marine Biology degree. The profiles I saw listed two of Adam's degrees and said what they were. Which was the same description he gave here on the board.
IrishSis   "Tough times don't last, tough people do"
Irish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 1:31am
Originally posted by tycallsky tycallsky wrote:

Adam, If you do have a degree, then let's chat about what you do for a living, how I can make a living and support my four kids and wife. Now please understand that this is NOT A CRITICISM, but if you do not, then I really don't have the time of day to waste. If you work in the marine biology field doing experiments and you fly out to the reefs and collect samples and test levels or you are working with Sea world and helping them keep their live stock alive and stuff like that, Then we should talk. If you are not actively involved in the marine biology world then let me go find someone else who is. I honestly don't care who I talk to, I just want to figure out what schools, where, how much, and how quickly I can get a career.   Again, keep in mind that I am not making judgments on any of you who say he does or doesn't have a degree, I'm not saying Adam does or does not have a degree, and I'm not trying to start a fight, I just really want to know what I have to do to get a good paying job working with fish, corals, and reefs. So I am inviting any of you who write articles, any of you who sell fish or corals, any of you who own fish stores, work for marine labs, make fish tanks, or just work at a LFS to send me a PM so we can talk about my options.   I've been a Nurse Assistant for the past SEVERAL years and I'm sick of working graveyards getting paid jack to take crap from people who are pissed off and having a bad day. I want to do something that I love and can enjoy. This is one thing that I enjoy very much. My other considerations are Aviation, Regular ol' Bio-Chemistry, Business Management, and college level teaching of sciences or art. If you don't have anything good to say, please, post your comment somewhere else.

This post is confusing, Adam has already explained what his degrees are in and explained some of what he does for a living, he's also stated many times if you want to know more you can call him anytime. That seems pretty self explanatory.
IrishSis   "Tough times don't last, tough people do"
sterling18 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 1:33am
Tyler, best of luck to you on whatever you decide you want to do.
tycallsky View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 2:17am
Thank you sterling.
-Tyler C.
[email protected]
tycallsky.deviantart.com
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 5:18am

FWIW, I know that Adam has knowledge, experience, and credentials in the marine biology field. He also is a very enterprising person. He worked with professors of biology to build his own educational path which sent him to various ocean locations to research and learn marine biology. Schools in Utah have little reason to offer Marine Biology degrees, but that does not mean a person cannot go elsewhere to receive pertinant education and training and then be educationally certified through a Utah school. Adam did it.

Adam then chose to stay in Utah even though he could have easily found employment at marine institutions around the world. I know that portions of his employment here in Utah has involved marine biology and that he does his best, through his research and publications, to add to the technical knowledge base of the marine aquarium industry around the world.  

I earned an MS degree in Human Resources Management from the University of Utah in 1981. My degree was all about employment! I worked in Human Resources until 1992 when I found that I could make more money as an Executive Recruiter. So for 12 years my entire focus was to find and place experienced Ph.D. Scientists and Engineers in staff and management positions in the Biotechnology industry. In the course of my recruiting I spoke with Biologists and Zoologists that were employed at organizations which were doing things with marine organisms. 

Additionally, I have many years of experience growing coral for profit. I have a few years of recent full time experience at an LFS and up until 3 years ago when I moved away from SLC, had been very involved in the WMAS since helping found it in 1995.

Please feel free to call me to see how I can help you in your career search. I won't be calling you. You will have to find my number and call me.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 9:18am
Oh. To Shane and Jeff: I want to make this hobby a career, and I feel like this post is justified. If you do not wish to be a part of this thread or concentrate on something else, please feel free to take your reading and posting somewhere else.

Tyler - you may want to re-read my posts.  I thought I was defending your thread and its placement on the forum.  One last word of advice;  often when you convert your hobby into your job, your passion for the hobby declines.  It is no longer a choice or a pleasure.  It becomes a routine and, well work.  This is not the case for all, but IMO, for most.  I don't hate my job, but I'd sure rather be playing reef.

Anyway - good luck to you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic