Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Large zero/infinity edge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alexmetal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexmetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large zero/infinity edge
    Posted: April 26 2010 at 3:56pm
As I'm getting ready to start my next (and first in a long time) tank, I really want to do a zero edge tank. However, I want a larger tank, 120gal or so. So, before I seriously consider doing a zero edge this large, I'm thinking about things I need to take into consideration other than a high price tag for a zero edge that big. First thing would be flow. From what I understand, the hex zero edge at Marine Aquatics (I would probably have Eric build this tank) that is about 40gal has a Dart, moving about 1200gal/hr to get the water to flow evenly over the edge. That being said, with a tank three times the size, I would need about three times the flow, or 3600gal/hr. The problem this brings up is the effectiveness of a skimmer or UV sterilizer. Obviously I'm not going to be able to have (much less afford) a giant skimmer in the sump that could do even half that per hour. I'm looking at keeping mostly SPS and zoas in the tank. Would the flow from the returns possibly be too turbulent?

What other problems could you guys think of with doing a zero edge this size?

Edited by alexmetal - April 26 2010 at 4:00pm
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 5:06pm
Our dart is wide open its more then 1200 gph 
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 5:07pm
There very little draw back other then cleaning both sides of the glass which really isn't that big of a deal.
[email protected]

alexmetal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexmetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by FIRE SHRIMP FIRE SHRIMP wrote:

Our dart is wide open its more then 1200 gph 

Oh boy. So I might as well install a pool pump? Haha.
Reeflo Hammerhead, maybe? 5500gph at 4ft?
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 7:37pm
Maybe depending on the size of the zero edge tank, Let me know if you have any questions on it.
[email protected]

EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 10:46pm
To answer your question, I run a Dart 3600 on my tank as the ONLY return. I do have two overflows though. One bypasses my skimmer chamber, while the other runs directly into the skimmer chamber. This allows me to optimize the skimmer by adjusting the flow rate feeding the skimmer chamber.

It all depends on how you plumb the overflow lines, you can even put in a T and ball valve to minimize the amount of water feeding your skimmer chamber.

Oh I use TWO 2 inch overflow lines, one runs as a near siphon to keep it quiet. We should really chat if you are going to use a huge pump pushing serious water as a return. I can explain some of the things I have learned from doing it, as well as learned talking to the owners of the 'big flow companies'.
alexmetal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexmetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 2:40pm
That's actually a good idea. I was under the impression it's not best to have raw water going to a refugium though? Isn't it best to have to go through the skimmer first, then to the fuge? Or would I put the second return after the fuge? I'm not sure how I want to set up the sump yet.. I was thinking sock filters>skimmer/UV/calc reactor chamber>fuge>bubble trap>return pump.

For the skimmer I've been looking at an AquaC EV-240 with a Mag 12 on it. I'd really like to make my own, but I don't have access to the tools I would need to do such a thing. Any better (cheaper would be nice too) alternatives?

Another big concern with that much flow is how turbulent the water is going to be. I'd like a nice big carpet anemone, with some black percs.. Would 4500-5000GPH coming from 3-4 return lines in the center be too much for an anemone or anything else to handle?
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 3:24pm
I run water straight from the tank into the fuge on one drain and to the skimmer on the other.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
alexmetal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexmetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 5:44pm
Good to know I was mistaken. :)

Another issue, what about ripples on the top? It seems like this much flow would cause a lot of ripples, or does the zero edge eliminate that?
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 5:51pm
Come and look at our tank at the store, I can show you how it works

[email protected]

Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2010 at 11:04pm
I've never seen a "zero" or "infinity" edge aquarium before.  I gotta see some pictures.
90G Mixed Reef
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2010 at 8:44am
Make a trip down to Marine Aquatics, And you can see one first hand...
[email protected]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic