Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 2010 REEF TOUR LIVE BLOG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 5:19pm
Party at Steve's house!!! LOLLOLLOL
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 5:21pm
Well it finished off okay.  I had 6 people.

Edited by WhiteReef - April 24 2010 at 5:36pm
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 5:23pm
We just past 220 and still coming. See you in awhile Glen.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 5:24pm

Ended with 105  Big smile

I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 5:37pm
We got 6 at the end for a total of 15.  Not as many as we had expected or hoped for but it was good to see everyone who came out.  I am pulling the sign down in about 30 minutes, if anyone as a host wants to stop by let me know, we should be here for a little bit longer.

An idea my wife brought up for next years tour would be to divide up the areas like UT County from 10-12, SLC 12-2 and Tooele and Ogden 2-4 so you could still see some other tanks and still be a host.  Just a thought. 

She snuck out and saw Tilemans tank and loved it, now I wish I had gone earlier this morning. 

Great job Tooele guys, sounds like a heckuva party!!!
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 5:46pm

This reef tour was awesome. I appreciate everyone who came out to see my tank.

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 5:53pm
My last guests just left...

Should be the last, anyway - since it is almost a quarter to 5 Wink

Here's a few more people shots (when I remembered to stop and take a picture):

Totalled right around 35 people Clap

Even better, I even got a gift Shocked - can you say "awesome kalwasser substitute"? (Thanks again Peter!!!)

All in all, quite a sweet day StarStarStar !!!

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 5:55pm
My last visitor just left. Wound up with about 30 for the day. Next year we need a few more Utah County Tanks and a Bar-B-Que to compete with Steve and the Tooele croud. Those were some amazing numbers guys.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 6:03pm
Just pulled the welcome sign and ended the day  with a living room full of people.  Last count was 237.  We really had great time and thanks to everyone who came out.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 6:11pm
I  ended up with about 30.  Just had the last neighbor and its 5:00  Pulled down the sign a minute ago.  It was a good day.  
Linda Spencer
West Jordan
From My little corner of the sea
utahquailguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahquailguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 7:05pm
I just wanted to thank all of you for holding this reef tour. I was very impressed at the opportunity I had to talk to some of you and I learned so much from everyone that I visited. I now have alot of information to start a really nice aquarium and I cannot wait until the next one already!  Thanks again!
Darren-Utahquailguy
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 7:15pm
Well just had my last group leave at 6pm... it was insane all day starting right around 11am

Thanks again for everyone who stopped by sorry it was so crowded most the time =)

If you didn't get a chance to see it or if you where on the tour feel free to stop by tonight or tomorrow
just give me a call first
801-680-4676
9820 s 3100 e
Thanks - Nick

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 7:30pm
So, another Reef Tour has come and gone Smile

Interesting how predicting Reef Tour turnout is kind of like predicting the weather...

You can analyze data and use logic to put together a pretty good forecast; but, in the end, it does what it is going to do, regardless of what you thought would happen.

Sometimes you are right, and sometimes you get soaked.

Historically, the 'core' areas in and around SLC tended to be the homes reporting the most traffic; as you move further out attendance usually tails off somewhat.

This year, it was almost in reverse.

Looks like the guys in Tooele took top honors this year! Star 

- Steve, you may have set a new record with your 237+ Shocked; Glen got over 100 (!!!) and although I didn't see a number from Art, I'd bet he did real well, too!...

Let this forever put to rest the false notion that "no one outside of Salt Lake County ever does well on the Reef Tour, because no one will ever come... so that's why I'm not signing up..."

You paying attention, all you Utah County Members? These guys in Tooele are the furthest away; but they worked hard, advertised locally, stayed positive, and - most of all - stayed in it as a group... and they were ALL tremendously successful!

Outstanding job, gentlemen!!!  ClapClapClap 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Now, the northern guys in Davis and Weber went more along 'traditional' lines; it looks like the farther north from SLC the Tour home was, their traffic numbers dropped off accordingly

- Burt and I did OK, especially considering we were the only UT County homes Confused... I also noticed that the W. Jordan crew all got very similar numbers to us. Many of my visitors commented that they were going to the Jordan homes next (after Burts) ; I'd bet we all got many of the same people...

- Interestingly enough, it looks like this year the SL County homes may have had the lowest average attendance of all the counties. That may be a "first" for the Tour, considering they are usually the 'stronghold'.  Maybe not, but it sure suprised me!  

Other things that surprised me today:

- I thought Rich in Magna would have gotten more of the 'outflow' from the big turnout in Tooele

- I thought the Dinchak's eel tank would have drawn more people, based on how many people commented on how they wanted to go see it

- The number of new, non-WMAS people  touring was very high in many places (maybe that will translate into a bunch of new Members?)

Feedback I got from my guests today:

- Many commented that they weren't going to be able to see as many tanks as they first thought, because they were spending more time at each house than they expected to (because there was so much to see and talk about at each stop!)

- They liked the idea of a spring tour better than a fall tour, mainly because the weather is nicer

- They got to see a wider variety of tank systems and setups, as well as diverse livestock, this year

- DIY ideas and saving $$$ was on alot of minds this year

- Interest in frag and equipment swap meets as Club meeting events

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
gobbly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gobbly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 7:34pm
Thanks to everyone who opened their homes!  I had a great time, and only wish I had more time to see more.
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 8:13pm
My official day end total was 258. I had people still coming in at past 6. The last people just barely left. So us Tooele folk are off to dinner to celebrate a successful tour.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 8:27pm
"- Many commented that they weren't going to be able to see as many tanks as they first thought, because they were spending more time at each house than they expected to (because there was so much to see and talk about at each stop!)"

I heard that as well, that people enjoyed the quality over the quantity. 

I also heard the enthusiasm for restarting a tank or looking into getting a tank.  Was fun to see. 

"- I thought the Dinchak's eel tank would have drawn more people, based on how many people commented on how they wanted to go see it"

We were a surprised too, I guess the people who wrote they wanted to see it were tour hosts themselves.  The funny thing is the majority of our guests didn't even know we had an eel tank :D

Also the tanks (Nick and Tileman - I am really wanting a pipefish now) we did see were pretty humbling, it was great to see such amazing tanks, I guess it can inspire us with our future 180g (far future)
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by CapnMorgan CapnMorgan wrote:

Just past 200,   having a gooood day.

Tank was awesome.  Please thank you folks also for having us.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by bfessler bfessler wrote:

My last visitor just left. Wound up with about 30 for the day. Next year we need a few more Utah County Tanks and a Bar-B-Que to compete with Steve and the Tooele croud. Those were some amazing numbers guys.

I loved the Automation you got going.  Awesome tanks. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 8:42pm
Bob, darn I thought you were making pickles.

I"ll drop you a dime when it's time for my tank to get started.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by PhotoGlen PhotoGlen wrote:

Ended with 105  Big smile

Awesome setup you got there.  Loved it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic