Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting back into salt (20 long)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting back into salt (20 long)
    Posted: April 08 2010 at 4:28pm
Hello everyone!
its been well oner a year since ive posted here, but ive recently gotten the bug to get back into salt.

So my plans are to set-up a small nano-reef in my bedroom, a 20 gallon long tank with a 10 gallon sump.

from my last set-up, i have a octopus110 in-sump skimmer, and 2 little giant, 500 gph pumps that im going to put to use one as return, one as closed loop.

this is going to be a fun, low-cost build that I plan to stock with a pair of misbar true percula's and an anemone for them, along with a bunch or corals and maybe a goby or other small fish(suggestions welcome)

oh i forgot to mention, lighting will be a single 150W HQI diy pendant, with some LED moonlights

im open to suggestions and help, and will be posting my progess here as i make it (dont expect anything to speedy, i dont have much money to work with)
Must be an optional hallucination (some people unknowingly call this an optical illusion-Mike Savage

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 4:41pm
That is great news, just dont forget to cycle your tank Smile
Aspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 4:44pm
I wont!
I'm using dead rock from the old tank(boiled and cleaned)
but I plan to cycle with a raw shrimp...or buy a couple lbs of live rock
Must be an optional hallucination (some people unknowingly call this an optical illusion-Mike Savage

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 4:46pm
cool keep us posted on your progress
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 4:55pm

since you are doing only a 20g long I would suggest instead of the whole shrimp thing to just get some live sand 1-2 peices of live rock, and see if someone is generous enough to give you 10-15g of water out of their tank from a water change, leave the lights on for 24 hours straight and you will be good to go in no time.  Rather than the shrimp cycling idea anyways, this might be easier to get your levels not only down, but stable.

Oh, my actual only point of this whole post was to give you a suggestion to build a jaw fish condo, that and you should get a pearly headed jawfish, they are awesome.

Edited by Ahanix - April 08 2010 at 4:58pm
Aspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 5:08pm
a condo? im not familiar with it...dont jawfish need alot of sand for burrowing?

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 5:16pm
Well, people have found out that you can take PVC and actually make them a burrow, that way they feel safe, you dont get sand blown all over your tank, plus its kind of a fun project.

Aspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 5:23pm
hmm...interesting idea, i guess it depends on if i find a jawfish around here, or one cheap online. they are a cool looking fish...what are the care requirements?

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 6:01pm
They seem like they are pretty hardy fish, every one that I have seen had fed like any other, will usually swim a little bit from their burrow to grab food (but most people suggest feeding near the pvc condo so they stay put)  and there are some orders that are placed around here where the jawfish run around $20 for the Pearly and $60 for the Blue Spot
Aspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2010 at 6:54pm
thanks for the info! ill definatly keep it in mind

Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 12:58am
If you make it down to salt lake fish4u consistently has jawfish.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 2:34am
I can get you a jawfish (and pretty much any other fish) for a great deal. Just let me know if you're interested.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Aspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 2:48pm
makin the first home depot run today, hoping for water by 4 this afternoon!

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2010 at 2:53pm
Nice to have another reefer in Cache Valley!

I have a couple of easy starter corals that you can have if you want.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2010 at 12:48am
I'm just curious about your circulation plans.  I'm not at all an expert so help me understand... isn't 1000 gph (from your return + closed loop) a whole heck of a lot of flow for 20 gallons?  Maybe it's not and it would be great for sps or something.
90G Mixed Reef
Aspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2010 at 8:43am
its about 50x the water circulates, so yeah its a bit high. i doubt I'll run the return pump wide open, its just gonna be an experiment on flow when i start it up

Aspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2010 at 10:36am
hey, is there a source of bulkheads in cache valley?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic