Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sea Urchins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sea Urchins
    Posted: October 15 2004 at 12:35pm
So, does anyone have strong feelings about sea urchins?  Good, bad, or indifferent?  Tell me the scoop! 
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2004 at 12:42pm

I personally think that they are awsome.  and look great (also very tasty)  The only thing ive heard is they can knock things over, but what cant really,  i mean come on,
right?

1 vote for sea urchins.  
They all talk fast, but they all think slow.
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2004 at 1:12pm
I have one.  They can be VERY destructive to your rock structure.  They get between two rocks then expand knocking the rocks over.  They are suprisingly strong.  I ended up moving mine to my refugium where he has done very well.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
kingsspot1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsspot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2004 at 1:19pm
I have a Tuxedo. He really is one of the coolest things in my tank. He is alwways roaming the tank with a yellow feather duster attached. My structure is fairly stable or rather it is just stacked well. There are times when he picks up my really cool purple mushroom and takes him to the back of the tank, where noone will see it. Or, he enjoys prying my torch and hammerhead coral out of the holes they are in, just to drop them at the bottom of the tank. But I have never regretted adding him to my Nano.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2004 at 1:26pm
Renee,

I added a pencil urchin several months ago and removed it a couple months ago. He at coralline like crazy. Faster than my tank could recover it. He now lives in 29 gallon tank in the basement with a bunch of live rock. He is a pretty good grazer, but I wouldn't add another to my display tank.
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2004 at 1:29pm
I had a very pretty dark purple spiney urchin who I liked very much. It came on my live rock and quickly grew (started out the size of a dime). As it got bigger though it took out quite a bit or coraline algea and always knocked over new frags. Then it chewed on the side of one of my acropora frags. I wasn't sure it was him until a week or two later when it was in the process of chewing off the top of a small purple acro I had (the same one). After that I put him in the refugium for a month. I put him back in the main tank and after eating a huge amount of coraline and finishing off the same frag I sold urchin. So yes, they can be bad.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2004 at 11:32pm
I have 2 green/white pin cushion urchins in my 90 gallon.  They definetly have pros/cons to them.  Pros: I think they are very cool to look at and watch them move around while they put shells onto their back.  I've even seen them pick up a hermit crab with the little hermits dangling out the side.  They eat coralline algae, in which I think helps my live rock "breathe."  They are very sure footed.  There definetly the best grazers in my tank.  I have never seen them bother any of my corals and I have a mixed reef.  Cons:  They eat coralline algae, but my coralline is able to keep up with them.  They knock over rocks/corals that are not securely fastened.  I have now gotten to know exactly what I can and can't do as far as placing rocks and attaching frags so that they no longer tip anything over for the most part.  Overall I think they are just a cool animal to have. 
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2004 at 12:20am
Got mine 5 years ago... been in the sump for 3... bulldozer.
www.captivereefing.com
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2004 at 7:33am
Hmm.... so 2 of you that have posted have seen my aquascaping.  It's very open - lots of caves, but the LR is not glued or permanently connected in any way.  But I have so much corraline!   Anybody want to have a scraping party with me?  I scraped it for all 4 days last weekend (Yeah, it sounds pathetic.  But I didn't have a single other thing to do.)  and it's still really thick in a 5 inch band along the bottom.  I don't mind something munching a coral once in a while, because I would hope they would go for the easy crunchies along the acrylic wall.   Hmmm...
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2004 at 8:27am
IMO, the way your rock is scaped and stacked, could send a lot down if one key piece were moved...
www.captivereefing.com
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2004 at 9:30am
Renee, You should try one and see if you like it. It's easy to remove. The Pencil urchins seem to be more destructive and the collector urchins are the most fun.

Start by putting it on the glass to help with coralline removal. It makes neat scraping patterns on the glass with its 5 teeth.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2004 at 9:33am

Will their teeth scratch acrylic?

Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 3:52pm
Will their teeth scratch acrylic?  That was a serious question, right?
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 5:11pm
Let me know if you train that urchin to eat coralline off the tank. Mine left a nice white trail wherever it went (and it never ate anything off the glass).
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 5:29pm
yes that was a serious question.  If a critter has a mouth and teeth that can crunch up coralline algae they might be able to scratch acrylic too (as they eat algae off the acrylic).  But it is a question, cause I don't know?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 5:49pm

I have an urchin that I've had for years.  He is way destructive to the rocks.  But since I caught him (I say that like he was racing away from me in the water) years ago I just can't toss him out.
I don't think they harm acrylic.  I've never even seen mine on the acrylic, just the rocks.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 6:22pm
So possibly a collector urchin, and we're not sure if they could harm acrylic.  And it appears that Adam has a crab & urchin that are captured and separate from the corals (?)  
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic