Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ID HELP, Are these ISOPODS?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ID HELP, Are these ISOPODS?
    Posted: March 27 2010 at 2:36am
I have a 15G that has been set up for two years, It housed a few fish until two weeks ago when I turned the pumps off to feed and got distracted and forgot to turn them back on. Both fish perished  so I just left the tank alone for a few weeks.

Today I turned the light on and there are TONS of little bugs on the front glass. They are not the regular pods I am used to seeing, and I am worried they are isopods.

My question is the tank has had NOTHING added to it for several months, I have never seen them before and the fish were healthy and happy till the pump incident, so where would they have came from if they are isopods

I tried to get a picture, but my camera sucks for closeups and they are just too small.

They look ALOT like this, but maybe a few more legs, and not the noticeable black eyes.

45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2010 at 2:46am
I would bet they are amphipods. If so they are just another part of you CUC
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2010 at 2:53am
The pics I have found of Amphipods are what I am used to seeing in my tanks, Like tiny tiny dinner shrimp...

These are flat, almost rectangular in shape, and look nothing like the standard pods you see everyday.

45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2010 at 3:02am
I've always had isopods. Algae eating isopods. They are good for the tank. They sometimes seem to be gone and other times seem to be almost the only pods. I'm not sure if amphipods eat them but when I have lower numbers of isopods I see more amphipods. They are not the same type of isopod that hang out on fish eating their blood. I've seen many types of fish eat these isopods so it's free healthy food. If they are the same as the ones I've had, they are all good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crzyfshguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2010 at 3:05am
Cool, that seems to be what they are, they are munching on algea on the glass
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic