Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mad Dawg's 14g nano

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 12:59pm
Looks very good!  Like the aquascape. 

Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 2:59pm
Ditto on the rocks.  I like having at least a few right up next to the surface.
90G Mixed Reef
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 4:09pm

Looking good.  Let me know how the stuff does that you picked up from me.

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2010 at 5:51pm
Thanks for the input! 

@Ahanix- No, the clowns are not friends.  The one still chases the other all over.  The stick method works if I've got the stick in the tank, but otherwise he just does as he pleases.  The less aggressive one has been hanging out by the rbta so maybe it's getting the urge to host.

@WhiteReef-  Everything is doing great!  I had to break up the bigger rock to get it all to work.  I love all the life on these rocks.  How do I tell if a sponge is happy?  The red mithrax is shy but I see it occasionally so I guess it's doing well.

Todd
14g nano mixed reef project
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2010 at 8:54am
I am not certain how to tell if a sponge is happy, but if they are not you will see them shrink in size and have algae or white spots on them.  Great to hear things are going well with all of it.  Now if I could just get a decent trap going so I can catch some of the nasties out of the tank.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2010 at 11:53am
I built a trap out of a plastic bottle.  I saw it on a post here somewhere.  Took me 10 minutes.  I didn't catch anything but I don't think there was anything left to catch.  
Todd
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 12:45am
So I now know a couple tell-tale signs of a happy sponge.  First I noticed that the holes/vents opened up quite a bit.  Then I noticed that it has started attaching itself to all the rocks it was touching.  Thanks for the happy healthy sponge!

You catch that mantis yet, Richard?
Todd
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2010 at 4:58pm
Not yet.  Great news on the sponge.  I found a different trap that I think I might use instead.  It is just hard the way my tank is setup to set a trap of any size.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 6:19pm
It's been a while so I thought I'd post an update.  I had a gloves-off battle with red slime for three weeks that ended up killing a couple corals and a few fish.  I tried all the natural methods listed in the help forum to no avail.  It looked like it was working but as soon as I resumed feeding and lighting it all came right back.  Chemiclean is what finally cleaned it up and no red slime for over a week now.  Wish I had used chemiclean first.  Maybe I wouldn't have lost close to $100 in livestock.

I think my brittle star may be eating fish.  Anyone have problems with this?  If I feed the brittle star chunks of shrimp, will he be satiated enough to leave the fish alone?  Or do I need to get rid of him?

flash:

no flash:

Todd
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 6:25pm
Wow, that looks awesome! you must have a ton of flow going through your tank, no? did you ever have any luck growing SPS corals in the tank with your light upgrade? (trying to justify a purchase of a 50/50 or another 10k bulb instead of my actinic)
Mad Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2010 at 8:14pm
Thanks!  I'm really happy with the rockscape and the flow.  Did you notice the sexy shrimp?  I love that guy!

What's nice about having both nano powerheads pointed toward each other is that I get a lot of turbulent flow but it's not too strong.  No, the SPS were just hanging on to life.  Then the stress of the red slime treatment knocked them out for good.  I'm still thinking about getting a strip of LEDs (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21598).  If I get those I will try another SPS frag up top.

I also built a media basket for the first chamber.  I have chaeto in one chamber and nothing in the other yet.

Edited by Mad Dawg - May 18 2010 at 11:29pm
Todd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic