FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 40 Gallon - New Pictures!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 4:54pm
Hey Ryan did any ever tell you that you have scratches on your stand and that you need to repaint it?
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by snailson snailson wrote:

Hey Ryan did any ever tell you that you have scratches on your stand and that you need to repaint it?

LOL
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 11:22pm
Well I took a couple pictures tonight real quick. Actually the wife did for me. Thought I would post them on here.

My new bulbs are in town and I am just trying to set up a time to meet Skyler. Only took 6 weeks! LOL

ORA Green Birdsnest

Green Slimer - grows like a weed and is in 2 spots in my tank.

Orange Slice Acans - color is hard to pick up with just the Fiji Purple and Blue Plus on. They really are orange.

Tri Color Acro

Edited by Ryan Thompson - September 01 2010 at 11:24pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 11:41pm
I really like that birdsnest! One of these days I will have to get me one:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 1:42am
Figured it was time for a small update.

I got another Vortech MP10 in the tank. These powerheads are amazing! I thought one was nice but two is way better. I have them both run around 60% or so and they provide plenty of flow for my tank.

I have been fighting Red Bugs for quite some time now. I originally took out all affected corals and dipped them in Revive. This initially worked but they came back. I then found a vet to sell me Interceptor. I did the three week dosage and killed 99% of them. I lost all my crabs and my sexy shrimp during this. Well that 1% made a come back and switched corals to attack. I just dosed 10x the recommended amount (a full pill on 50 gallons of water volume) and it knocked them right out. Since red bugs have a 5 day life cycle, I will dose again next week to kill any new hatchlings. I will dose a 3rd and probably 4th week to make sure these buggers are gone for good this time.

I took a couple quick pictures to post. The color is TERRIBLE! I didn't focus white balance or anything. I had about 30 seconds to take the pictures before I had to leave for a party. If anyone has ANY tips on how to get better pics please let me know. The point and shoot I have is garbage. Would love a Nikon D60 or something but would have to sell the tank to fund one! LOL

Anyway here they are.

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 2:39am
Looks great man =)

Edited by Nick801 - October 31 2010 at 2:40am
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 5:16am
Tank is looking great, corals are growing in.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 10:45am
Fantastic Clap
90 gallon mixed reef
reefguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 7:48pm
cool tank
ejcatmul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejcatmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 11:05pm
Reefguru huh, interresting user name!

"Noob"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:19am
Time for a quick update! These pics are a little better but still not great. I used the white balance and it took out all of the blue so I added some blue back in with Picasa.

Was told this is a Blue Tenius but I know it isn't. Any other ID would be great.

Green Tenius

Lobophyllia

Orange Milli from Aquatic Dreams! I now have pink, blue, orange and green millis. The greens are tan and ugly though.

AD Strawberry Shortcake from Australia. Got this from Ryan at Aquatic Dreams as well. Probably my favorite piece when you see it in person.

This is a test coral. It should be blueish with some pink but lost all color when I lost it in my rockwork. I found it the other day and am now coloring it back up.

Tyree Pink Lemonade - washed out because of camera

That is everything for now. Hoping Santa brings me a nice Canon DSLR camera for Christmas.

Sahin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sahin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:43am
Hi Ryan! Smile I joined here because of your tank! 

Your tank looks very nice.  I now see what you mean about the camera...hopefully Santa will get you a Nikon D60.

Are the coral colours as good as they ought to be?  - Silly question, but what I mean is this: Most of the beautiful coral colours are seen with tanks that run 8 to 10 T5 tubes.  Obviously you dont have the tank depth to use more tubes, so with 4 tubes do you feel the colours are as quite good, or do you feel colour is lacking.

I wish your camera was good at taking photos because I could have simply seen the actual colour from the photos.

I am setting up a 30L x 20W x 18H rimless with starfire glass, BM NAC6 Skimmer, ATI 6x24watt Sunpower and 2xVortech MP10's for flow.  Its sort of similar to your tank.

Last question; do you get thick dry dark skimmate from the NAC6 Skimmer?  I read good reviews of this skimmer, but not seen any photos of the skimmate when its properly run in.

Thanks for your reply.

Do post some new photos in 2011 once you have your new camera...shout to Ryans wife/girlfriend: get him a new Camera for Xmas!
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:46am
Your tank is looking really nice Ryan.  
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 12:36pm
Your tank looks really sweet, Ryan Clap

I have the same camera problems as you - my corals look 10X better in person than in photos

I'd love to find a camera that gives decent white / color balance and has a good, crisp closeups feature that doesn't cost $500 - $1000+ Ouch

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Sahin Sahin wrote:

Hi Ryan! Smile I joined here because of your tank!  Your tank looks very nice.  I now see what you mean about the camera...hopefully Santa will get you a Nikon D60.Are the coral colours as good as they ought to be?  - Silly question, but what I mean is this: Most of the beautiful coral colours are seen with tanks that run 8 to 10 T5 tubes.  Obviously you dont have the tank depth to use more tubes, so with 4 tubes do you feel the colours are as quite good, or do you feel colour is lacking.I wish your camera was good at taking photos because I could have simply seen the actual colour from the photos.I am setting up a 30L x 20W x 18H rimless with starfire glass, BM NAC6 Skimmer, ATI 6x24watt Sunpower and 2xVortech MP10's for flow.  Its sort of similar to your tank.Last question; do you get thick dry dark skimmate from the NAC6 Skimmer?  I read good reviews of this skimmer, but not seen any photos of the skimmate when its properly run in.Thanks for your reply.Do post some new photos in 2011 once you have your new camera...shout to Ryans wife/girlfriend: get him a new Camera for Xmas!

I don't think you need 8-10 bulbs. I can't even get 8 over my tank. I get great color with 4 bulbs but think that 6 would improve things a little bit.

While 6 bulbs may not improve things much it will certainly improve the overall coloration of my tank and that will please me.

I really like the Bubble Magus skimmer I have. It has been good thus far for me. I would really like a new ATI Powercone skimmer but there isn't really a need for one right now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 11:00pm
Here is a little sneak peek of the new tank! I have been working on this for the past 5 or 6 days, for a couple hours each day.

Do you know how hard it is to plumb something when you don't have everything??? I had this tank and that is all! I had to measure everything and I hope it is right. My tank now is in Provo and this tank is in Lehi.

I am moving my tank on the 15th and am super excited. I have a whole new plumbing setup, new lights, and a ton more space in the tank with a smaller overflow.

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 11:39pm
Looks good! I think I liked your old stand better . . . this one looks a little makeshift!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:02am
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

Looks good! I think I liked your old stand better . . . this one looks a little makeshift!

It is an open concept stand! Plenty of air flow and very easily moved if needed.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:17am
interesting overflow =) also what drain type are you going to be using this time>? is it the same size as your old tank or?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Nick801 Nick801 wrote:

interesting overflow =) also what drain type are you going to be using this time>? is it the same size as your old tank or?

Same drain setup. Herbie drain with an emergency drain. It is the best overflow on the market. I love mine that I have now and this will be setup the exact same way.

The tank is the exact same size, 40 gallon breeder.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic