Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 40 Gallon - New Pictures!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:16am
Looks good! What bulbs are you running right now? It looks more 14K to me than 12K.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:19am
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

Looks good! What bulbs are you running right now? It looks more 14K to me than 12K.

ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus

It is definitely 12k if not 10k. The color isn't represented correctly. I played with the white balance but my camera is a cheap point and shoot and only has so many options.

The combo of 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 KZ Fiji Purple and 1 ATI Aquablue is almost identical to a Phoenix 14k that is a little overdriven.
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:24am
did you have to order the vida rock? does the aquarium have a good selection?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:25am
Ryan was it a trochus snail he was going to get in? I have asteras, hermits, nerits, nass. Starfish, cuccumbers, you name it I have it all but trochus snails.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I had originally planned to add some Blue LED's but that isn't going to happen so I need to get a new bulb. I asked Skyler to get me one so hopefully he orders soon. If not I am just gonna do an order myself.

Hey Ryan! Did you ever think to call to see if I had your bulb in? I have it so come get it before I decide to sell it. LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:50am
Originally posted by snailson snailson wrote:

Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I had originally planned to add some Blue LED's but that isn't going to happen so I need to get a new bulb. I asked Skyler to get me one so hopefully he orders soon. If not I am just gonna do an order myself.

Hey Ryan! Did you ever think to call to see if I had your bulb in? I have it so come get it before I decide to sell it. LOL

No I thought you would text me or something! I didn't know you even placed the order.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 10:54am
Originally posted by disneymania disneymania wrote:

Ryan was it a trochus snail he was going to get in? I have asteras, hermits, nerits, nass. Starfish, cuccumbers, you name it I have it all but trochus snails.

That is the one. He just said he would bring some in when he placed an order for them.

I may come get some snails from you but am not sure when I can this week.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 11:02am
Oh and I haven't placed an order for those snails. I will leave your bulb with Jeremy today as well, so you can get it at the earliest time for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2010 at 3:29pm
Well just a quick update on my tank.

Skyler got me the ATI Aquablue a few weeks ago and it really helped with making the tank color up and look bluer. However I am not totally loving it as it washes out colors pretty heavy when all bulbs are on. I love to watch my tank when only the ATI Blue Plus and KZ Fiji Purple bulbs are on.

I am thinking of switching out the Aquablue for a KZ New Generation bulb. I have been told that it is right between the Aquablue and Blue Plus so that should do the trick for me.

I moved the tank on Thursday to my new home and haven't set the rock up as of yet. I plan to mess around with all that tonight and tomorrow when I can. I am glad to say though that not a SINGLE thing died in the transfer. A few things were stressed and lost a little color but things are looking good now and I can't believe the growth I am seeing. The supposedly "slow growing" SPS are growing very nicely. My ORA Pearlberry has almost totally encrusted its plug, same with my Tyree Pink Lemonade.

Well that is all the news I have for now. I will get the rock setup soon and snap some pics when I can.

Thanks!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2010 at 3:59pm
Are you talking about the super blue?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2010 at 5:41pm
No I am talking about the KZ New Generation. It is like a 14-15k bulb that is great for stand alone. It may also be called the Koral Light II.

So I was just looking at the glass on my tank and I have flatworms! I have NO idea where they came from. I haven't added anything to the tank in over a month and I never saw them before the move.

The good thing is they are only on the glass as far as I can see. I studied every coral with my wife and we didn't see them on any corals or moving on any rocks, just the glass. I will still get some Flatworm Exit more than likely and dose the tank just to kill the buggers.

I am stumped as to where they came from. Has any one else ever just had them "pop" up? I mean 2 months in and they just now show? Even when I haven't added a single thing. No new rock, no new corals, I didn't share water, no new equipment even.

My next fish purchase is a yellow coris wrasse. Hopefully it will eat them for me. Maybe my flasher wrasse will eat them?!?
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2010 at 11:38pm
Ryan! post more pics =) 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2010 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Nick801 Nick801 wrote:

Ryan! post more pics =) 

Did you read my above post??? Tongue

I will get some when the tank settles in a little more. I finished the rock work tonight but am not totally loving it. I HATE the big old plugs that ORA uses. I am gonna have to chop up my frags into in micro frags so I can glue them to the rock.
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 4:10am
updates?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:06am
Nothing too crazy.

I took some pics about 3 weeks ago but they turned out like crap. No matter what I do, I can't get good pictures with my crappy camera.

I finished the rock work for now but would like to buy a little bit more to make a lower level in the front of the tank.

All of my SPS are doing great and growing really well. The colors on them are really starting to come out. I actually need to frag up my Green Slimer. It grows extremely fast and has great color to it.

I added a Harlequin Shrimp about a month ago and it killed all of the Asterina stars so I bought it a chocolate chip starfish to eat. Unfortunately the chocolate chip was too big and the Harlequin went for a ride around the tank. It got too close to the Vortech and the Harlequin got sucked in and it killed it. So I had to take the starfish out and threw it away.

I added some frags of my Dad's hammer. It is the bright green tip hammer. He has had it for over 2 years and it has grown from 4 heads to over 30 and we have fragged it twice. I have one frag in my tank and need to sell the other now. I am just letting it grow a little bit before posting it. It was on the under side of the colony and didn't get much light.

That's about all I think. I am still dosing vodka and using Bulk Reef Supply's 2 part plus magnesium. I dose 15 drops of Vodka a day and about 10mL of each 2 part solution a day. My numbers stay solid every time I test.

I run my tank at:

Alk - 8dkh
Cal - 430ppm
Mg - ~1400ppm
Temp - 76.3 - 80 (the summer is really making my temps swing)
Sg - 1.025-26

That's it I think.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:53am
I still need to come see your tank!  Finally picked up my breeder and will be building the stand this weekend (I hope), is there anything you wish you would have done differently with your stand when you built it?

Edited by Ahanix - June 30 2010 at 12:26pm
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 2:40pm
Hi Ryan,

I like the screen you have on top.  I had a glass cover, but my light made it heat up and cracked it within a few days!  :(  

Did you make the screen yourself?  Is it just window screening?

Thanks,
Chris
55g Bowfront Corner Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Ahanix Ahanix wrote:

I still need to come see your tank!  Finally picked up my breeder and will be building the stand this weekend (I hope), is there anything you wish you would have done differently with your stand when you built it?

I absolutely love my stand! The only thing I may have changed is the height. It is like 30 inches or so so you have to lean over to look into the tank. However my tank is at the end of my bed so I just lay down and stare at it, lol.

I wanted a taller stand but I also didn't want to overpower my tank. Tall stands on short tanks look dumb imo. It totally over powers the tank and takes away overall. JMO

You are more than welcome to come check it out. You would find things you like and things you don't.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Chris Scott Chris Scott wrote:

Hi Ryan,
I like the screen you have on top.  I had a glass cover, but my light made it heat up and cracked it within a few days!  :(  
Did you make the screen yourself?  Is it just window screening?
Thanks,
Chris

I'm at work currently so I don't have the link I need. It is not window screen material. It is clear netting that you have buy specifically from a guy on reef2reef. I think that burt here locally may have some. Nick801 ordered mine for me.

You then buy a window screen frame kit from home depot and build it. Extremely easy and very worth it.
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 4:41pm
I have a bowfront corner tank, so making the frame will be a little tougher, but I bet I could do it!  I'll PM Nick801.  Thanks!
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic