Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 40 Gallon - New Pictures!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 40 Gallon - New Pictures!
    Posted: January 22 2010 at 1:49pm
Well the time has come for me to start a build thread on my new tank. This tank has honestly been in the making for probably the last 2.5 years. So I am super excited to get it going.

Here is the equipment list so far:

Tank: 40 Gallon Breeder
Sump: 20 Tall
Stand: Home made
Lights: ATI Sunpower 4x24W (2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue and 1 KZ Fiji Purple)
Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC6
Return Pump: Quiet One 2200 (for now)
Powerheads: Voretch MP10w ES
Plumbing: Herbie style drain with an emergency backup drain
Controller: RK Lite Level 1

My lights will be ordered next week and I hope to have them by next Friday at the lastest. I also ordered my hole saw and some bulkheads and they should arrive next week also. So if anyone can help drill a tank I would love the help!

I will be dosing Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 and Vodka to this tank. I have been dosing vodka in my sump that is curing rock right now and it is incredible how much better the skimmer performs when I dose vodka.

Ok enough of me talking let's get to the next post and I will show the progress so far.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Ryan Thompson - September 01 2010 at 11:15pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 1:50pm
So here is the stand build. I did miss a few steps when taking pictures. I sanded all the corners and rounded them to look a little distressed and beat up. I then painted 2 coats of green and then 2 coats of black. When I distressed it after painting, the green show through very nicelySmile

The stand is roughly 30 inches tall and is perfect height to work in the tank comfortably. I didn't want to get out a stool every time I worked on the tank but I also didn't want back problems from always bending over to look at the tank.

Now for the pics:

The stand with some of the shell put on.

Added some molding....I measured wrong and had to run to Home Depot to buy some moreWacko

First coat of green:

Second coat of green:

That is all the pictures I have for now. I somehow skipped taking pictures with the black painted on. Right now the stand is all finished and has been coated with a protective finish. I painted the inside and sealed it all off with three coats of protective sealer to help with the humidity and water drips inside the stand.

It took me 5 or 6 days to complete the whole thing and I am VERY happy how it all turned out! Big smile

I will get pictures of the completed stand this weekend sometime.

Edited by Ryan Thompson - January 22 2010 at 2:10pm
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 2:04pm
Oh wow looks like a certain place froze over!

You've been talking about this since I got on the board. LOL
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 2:06pm
i just had a small heat attack then I realized there arent pictures so this cant be real! Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by woottonjeremy woottonjeremy wrote:

i just had a small heat attack then I realized there arent pictures so this cant be real! Wink

Jeremy you need to refresh the page and check again! I just put pictures of the stand build.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 2:33pm
You up loaded those 4 min after I posted dork! But hey looks good! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by woottonjeremy woottonjeremy wrote:

You up loaded those 4 min after I posted dork! But hey looks good! 

I know! LOL I reserved the second post for pictures and then had to upload all those.

Thanks for the compliment!
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 3:10pm
Are you going to drill the tank?
Life is good....right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

Are you going to drill the tank?

Yes I ordered the drill bit last night and it was shipped today. I will drill through the bottom for the main drain and haven't decided where I will drill the emergency drain. It will either be in the bottom by the main drain or on the back at the top.

I am gonna build my own overflow box with Burt when he returns from Idaho.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2010 at 10:56pm
Um, not enough drama. The thread needs something, like a difference of opinions...

(looks great)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 2:23pm
Well since I had Monday off I took the time to drill the holes in my tank for the drains and return. Overall it turned out pretty good for my first time ever drilling glass. I did learn some lessons though. I should have drilled opposite of what I did. I drilled from the bottom and into the tank. It chipped the glass where the gaskets will sit so I will have to use some silicone to make sure I don't have any leaks. Here is the picture of it all completed.

I will be getting my bulkheads this week along with the black acrylic to make my overflow box. Also my lights are supposed to be ordered this week!

One step closer.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 2:26pm
Is that a crack on the right hand hole that goes from the whole to the back of the tank? 

Edited by woottonjeremy - January 27 2010 at 2:31pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 2:28pm
No it isn't even though it looks like it. That is the first hole I did and the bit jumped on me and scratched the glass. It isn't as bad as the picture makes it look. When I run my fingers over it you can barely feel it.
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 2:29pm
Going very very slowly with the bit, especially in the last half of the hole will reduce that chipping quite a bit. For the next build, there's always another build. Is this an SPS tank?
Some day, when I grow up,...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 2:36pm
Thanks Mike! That is one of the lessons I learned. Drilling glass is a piece of cake. I just rushed it this time but know now for next time.

Yes this will be probably 80% SPS and the rest LPS. There will be no softies except some Ricordeas (if those even count as a softie).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 6:03pm
Alright well I have some updates for everyone.

I took some pictures of the stand being totally finished. I also took pictures of the overflow that Burt and I built on Saturday.

We made the overflow out of 3/16" black acrylic. Learned some very valuable lessons from the whole thing though. Use at least 1/4" thick acrylic and do NOT heat the acrylic for too long.

As Burt and I were staring at our fine work we heard two loud "pops". Burt and I were totally confused at where the sound came from. Upon further investigation we found 2 cracks running horizontally through one of the bends. As Burt was patching them up, another loud pop and a third crack. huh!!!OMG!!!!SOB!@##$

So I call Eric at Marine Aquatics and ask him what could have caused that. Very first thing he says is "HEAT". So I tell him how we made it and he is 99% sure the cracks were from us heating the acrylic too long. So don't overheat acrylic if bending.

I am simply gonna silicone up the crack so water can't leak through. I have bent and tugged on the overflow to see if I can get it to crack anymore and it won't. I am 99% positive the thing is safe and will still use it. We will find out on the FW test, I guess. LOL

Also my lights are officially ordered and should arrive this week. I changed my mind and went with the 6x24W version instead of the 4 bulb version.

Plumbing supplies are on the way and as soon as I silicone in the bulkheads and the overflow it will be time for the FW test! I am really excited to be to this point.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 6:08pm
Pictures of the last week of progress...

ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 7:21pm
Looking good! 

Edited by ksmart - February 01 2010 at 7:21pm

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 9:28pm
One of my favorite sizes for a tank--has the same width vs height vs length as a 120 one of my other favorites.  I miss mine, but the next one will either be a custom black silicone tank or a 50 gal (same as 40, just a little taller).  

Looks awesome, don't let my wife see it--I'll have to have ryan over to build the stand for me.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2010 at 11:31pm
Man it looks sweet =) what did you do to bend the overflow? just toss it in the oven or?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic