Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 40 Gallon - New Pictures!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 40 Gallon - New Pictures!
    Posted: December 14 2010 at 10:01pm
Ryan, it looks like it would work fine to me. For 300 GPH you need a linear overflow of 5 inches. How big are those holes?

Edited by tcfab - December 14 2010 at 10:02pm
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 11:14am
yeah if I was to do it over again Id go herbie...

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 10:44am
Originally posted by thathiep thathiep wrote:

Looking good.  Can't wait for the build thread.

This is the build thread! LOL

I will take pics of the setup when I move the tank and things settle down.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 10:43am
Originally posted by tcfab tcfab wrote:

Looks good RyanThumbs Up

Thanks Tyler.

Do you know if my overflow holes will allow enough water through them? I figure my pump will only put out about 300gph with the plumbing setup I used on the return.
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 1:49am
Looking good.  Can't wait for the build thread.
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 1:08am
Looks good RyanThumbs Up
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 1:00am
40 gallon breeder
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:54am
how big is the new tank?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Nick801 Nick801 wrote:

interesting overflow =) also what drain type are you going to be using this time>? is it the same size as your old tank or?

Same drain setup. Herbie drain with an emergency drain. It is the best overflow on the market. I love mine that I have now and this will be setup the exact same way.

The tank is the exact same size, 40 gallon breeder.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:17am
interesting overflow =) also what drain type are you going to be using this time>? is it the same size as your old tank or?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:02am
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

Looks good! I think I liked your old stand better . . . this one looks a little makeshift!

It is an open concept stand! Plenty of air flow and very easily moved if needed.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 11:39pm
Looks good! I think I liked your old stand better . . . this one looks a little makeshift!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 11:00pm
Here is a little sneak peek of the new tank! I have been working on this for the past 5 or 6 days, for a couple hours each day.

Do you know how hard it is to plumb something when you don't have everything??? I had this tank and that is all! I had to measure everything and I hope it is right. My tank now is in Provo and this tank is in Lehi.

I am moving my tank on the 15th and am super excited. I have a whole new plumbing setup, new lights, and a ton more space in the tank with a smaller overflow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Sahin Sahin wrote:

Hi Ryan! Smile I joined here because of your tank!  Your tank looks very nice.  I now see what you mean about the camera...hopefully Santa will get you a Nikon D60.Are the coral colours as good as they ought to be?  - Silly question, but what I mean is this: Most of the beautiful coral colours are seen with tanks that run 8 to 10 T5 tubes.  Obviously you dont have the tank depth to use more tubes, so with 4 tubes do you feel the colours are as quite good, or do you feel colour is lacking.I wish your camera was good at taking photos because I could have simply seen the actual colour from the photos.I am setting up a 30L x 20W x 18H rimless with starfire glass, BM NAC6 Skimmer, ATI 6x24watt Sunpower and 2xVortech MP10's for flow.  Its sort of similar to your tank.Last question; do you get thick dry dark skimmate from the NAC6 Skimmer?  I read good reviews of this skimmer, but not seen any photos of the skimmate when its properly run in.Thanks for your reply.Do post some new photos in 2011 once you have your new camera...shout to Ryans wife/girlfriend: get him a new Camera for Xmas!

I don't think you need 8-10 bulbs. I can't even get 8 over my tank. I get great color with 4 bulbs but think that 6 would improve things a little bit.

While 6 bulbs may not improve things much it will certainly improve the overall coloration of my tank and that will please me.

I really like the Bubble Magus skimmer I have. It has been good thus far for me. I would really like a new ATI Powercone skimmer but there isn't really a need for one right now.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 12:36pm
Your tank looks really sweet, Ryan Clap

I have the same camera problems as you - my corals look 10X better in person than in photos

I'd love to find a camera that gives decent white / color balance and has a good, crisp closeups feature that doesn't cost $500 - $1000+ Ouch

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:46am
Your tank is looking really nice Ryan.  
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Sahin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sahin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:43am
Hi Ryan! Smile I joined here because of your tank! 

Your tank looks very nice.  I now see what you mean about the camera...hopefully Santa will get you a Nikon D60.

Are the coral colours as good as they ought to be?  - Silly question, but what I mean is this: Most of the beautiful coral colours are seen with tanks that run 8 to 10 T5 tubes.  Obviously you dont have the tank depth to use more tubes, so with 4 tubes do you feel the colours are as quite good, or do you feel colour is lacking.

I wish your camera was good at taking photos because I could have simply seen the actual colour from the photos.

I am setting up a 30L x 20W x 18H rimless with starfire glass, BM NAC6 Skimmer, ATI 6x24watt Sunpower and 2xVortech MP10's for flow.  Its sort of similar to your tank.

Last question; do you get thick dry dark skimmate from the NAC6 Skimmer?  I read good reviews of this skimmer, but not seen any photos of the skimmate when its properly run in.

Thanks for your reply.

Do post some new photos in 2011 once you have your new camera...shout to Ryans wife/girlfriend: get him a new Camera for Xmas!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:19am
Time for a quick update! These pics are a little better but still not great. I used the white balance and it took out all of the blue so I added some blue back in with Picasa.

Was told this is a Blue Tenius but I know it isn't. Any other ID would be great.

Green Tenius

Lobophyllia

Orange Milli from Aquatic Dreams! I now have pink, blue, orange and green millis. The greens are tan and ugly though.

AD Strawberry Shortcake from Australia. Got this from Ryan at Aquatic Dreams as well. Probably my favorite piece when you see it in person.

This is a test coral. It should be blueish with some pink but lost all color when I lost it in my rockwork. I found it the other day and am now coloring it back up.

Tyree Pink Lemonade - washed out because of camera

That is everything for now. Hoping Santa brings me a nice Canon DSLR camera for Christmas.

ejcatmul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejcatmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 11:05pm
Reefguru huh, interresting user name!

"Noob"

reefguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 7:48pm
cool tank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic