Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does Salt brand matter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 8:24pm
I use Reef Crystals, or Oceanic whichever is on sale at the time.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 9:18pm
I've used IO for years. Oceanic has been notoriously high in calcium, magnesium, etc, and when Jon Finch asked- they told him that they were omitting trace elements since they claimed that they "weren't necessary."

I can't say if Oceanic is still this way. IO had a bad batch a few years back. The other thing to remember is that most brands of salt are made by the same company, as I understand it. I just can't keep up with salt brands anymore. I would test for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium of water first made from whatever brand I choose, regardless of other info. You never know when you might get salt from a bad batch...
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 9:24pm
Salt stuff thread with Jon's take

Check it out. The topic of salt comes up yearly, I think. A few searches will help.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 9:41pm
I use Morton brand.  When it rains ... it pours.
jacobwilson222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacobwilson222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Corey Price Corey Price wrote:

Salt stuff thread with Jon's take

Check it out. The topic of salt comes up yearly, I think. A few searches will help.
OOPS, I had no Idea! I should deffinately have done a lil more research before asking this I did not know this was such a highly debated subject. what happens if there is a bad batch of salt?Shocked
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 10:44am

Shane, you made me curious. What is the product that your company makes? Is it a propellent in an accuator device, is it the entire airbag unit or what? Is the company still named Morton? My dad was a rocket Test Engineer at the old Hercules Aerospace in Magna.Smile

I just read a history which tells of two scientists in the 1930's seeking a cheaper anti-freeze when they stumbled onto a product that clogged the drain when they were dumping it. They had invented artificial rubber but it was still more expensive than natural rubber so was used only in specialty applications. Years later someone else found that it made for the best solid rocket propellent so Thiokol went into the rocket business big time. History is cool.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 19 2010 at 10:45am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

I used the Petco brand. Bought a ton of it and it worked really well. I can't complain. I'll probably switch just because there isn't a Petco here and I just ran out with my tank switch. 

I use the Petco brand as well with no problems! I have been ordering online from Petco. If you order the 50gallon size boxes they are usually online special for $12 ea you can get free shipping. I usually order 4 or so at a time.

Edited by arthuriv - January 19 2010 at 10:58am
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 11:00am
Salt brand doesn't matter too much, you just have to know what you are getting and if it is low in ca, alk, or mag, you need to dose to make up for the differences. You can buy a cheapo salt and dose more, or you can buy a little better salt and not have any difference to make up in the chemistry of it. I am not saying you wont have to dose at all, you probably still will, but not to make up the difference in salt quality.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2010 at 11:58am
Mark - we build it all.  Generant, airbag, seat belt, etc., etc.  Morton sold off their airbag interests about 13 years ago.  We're now Autoliv.  Headquartered in Sweden.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 12:17am
Oh yeah, Autoliv, and they make seat belts too? Since HQ is in Sweden, is that why you have spent so much time in Europe?

I wonder if we mixed up Morton pure Sodium Chloride and added enough supplements, would it work? I'll bet someone has tried it.Wacko I figure someone has because I once tried Great Salt Lake water for two consecutive water changes, diluted with freshwater to the correct salinity.Wacko The coral didn't like it. That was before I knew about Seabase and their experience.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I wonder if we mixed up Morton pure Sodium Chloride and added enough supplements, would it work? I'll bet someone has tried it.Wacko 

When I was in school this was one of our assignments.  We had to calculate out each trace element, buy it, weigh it, and make our own salt mix.

Yep, much easier to just buy instant ocean.... which I think was part of the lesson to be learned.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jacobwilson222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacobwilson222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2010 at 5:51pm
ClapHa ha ha what a cool thing to try though!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic