Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing a sandbed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing a sandbed
    Posted: January 18 2010 at 1:49pm
So my one nano is starting to go down hill. I can't get the red slime under control no matter what I try and Red Bubble Algae is starting to take over. To this date I have tried every possible thing I can to get rid of this red slime. More flow, less feeding, chemicals, better clean up crew, lights out, etc etc! I even sucked out every bit of it that I could find and it still came back! I am SICK of it!

So with things starting to build up, I am gonna take a few hours and do a total tank overhaul. I will be pulling out the rock that has Red Bubble Algae on it and taking it to the power washer and blasting that stuff to hell! I will then be sucking out every last bit of sand that is in the tank and replacing it with new live sand.

Here is what I am going to do:

1)Take out all corals and fish and rock. Place them in buckets with some flow.
2) Try to keep at least 75% of the old water to put back in.
3) With a few inches of water left in the bottom, I am going to stir the living crap out of the old sand.
4) Scoop it all out and suck the remaining water out and discard.
5) Place a 1/2 inch of Utah Sand in and then cover that with caribsea live sand. It will not be sugar sized sand this time. I hate the stuff! I will probably add about an inch of that.
6) Start adding water back into the tank and then add the rock and corals.
7) Put fish back in
8) Call it a day and let the tank stabilize

So does anyone have any other advice or think I could kill my whole tank doing this?

thanks!
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 2:01pm
Just wondering why do you dislike the sugar sand?  So you are going to leave 1/2" of your current sandbed?  Why not just use completely new live sand?  I think if you do use live sand in the swap you will be fine.  I have done this with a larger tank (my 120g) with no problems at all.
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 2:03pm
He probably doesn't like it for the same reason I don't - in smaller tanks it blows around non  stop. I have it in my 45 and there is almost always sand suspended in the water stream. Anytime something kicks up the sand even a little bit it blows everywhere. I hear that this isn't as much of a problem in bigger tanks. Personally I love the look of the sugar sized sand but it is a pain in the butt. 
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 2:07pm
I was just wondering since my new 150g has it.  Currently I am running 2 mp40w's and I havent had a sand blowing issue. Since I dont have any rock in there I do get some nice sand dunes piling up  just below the powerheads because of the undertow

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 2:39pm
That will work.
It's possible that the Cyano found a niche and nothing else has been able to outcompete. If you are looking to do something else before this project, I would replace portions of the current sand with a combination of Utah Oolitic on the bottom and some LS from a good healthy tank that has no Cyano problem. There may be an organism in the new LS that can overtake the Cyano.

As I see it, there is no advantage to using CaribSea packaged LS. It only has some bacteria in it and because of storage in the bag, the amount of bacteria still available in the bag is no more than that existing in a few cups of LS from a good healthy tank.

When we first started using Utah Oolitic, we would place some CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand on top of the Oolitic. After a while I noticed that Oolitic actually sticks together unless blown by a very strong current. Now I recommend making water streams shoot up to the surface instead of down or horizontal. This seems to do the job in most situations and improves pH and tank health as well as reducing Cyano. I've also become more vocal when I see a tank with very of its little sand bed open to water circulation, meaning covered by rock and frags. Clearing the sand bed for water to flow unobstructed across it, was all it took for a recent hobbyist to see Cyano disappearing.

Hope this helps.Smile Feel free to call to discuss.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by chk4tix chk4tix wrote:

Just wondering why do you dislike the sugar sand?  So you are going to leave 1/2" of your current sandbed?  Why not just use completely new live sand?  I think if you do use live sand in the swap you will be fine.  I have done this with a larger tank (my 120g) with no problems at all.

After 2 years and 3 tanks I don't like the look anymore. I am crazy I guess. I like the little bit bigger stuff. I REALLY hate the look of straight Utah sand. I started a Pico just using the Utah sand and I just don't like the look of it. JMO

I will be using ALL NEW LS. I will pull out all the old crap that is in there. I want to put 1/2 inch of Utah sand and then cover that with the bigger Caribsea stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 3:47pm
Mark,

The red slime has for sure found a niche in the tank. Nothing will kill it. So at this point replacing the entire sand bed is my only choice that I see. I tried everything else.

I am using the CaribSea because it has a little bit larger particles that I want. Utah sand is just too fine for my taste. I will be getting some more LS from my uncle's tank that is healthy.
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 4:52pm
Ryan, 

I've had red slime in my tank for two years, and it hasn't hurt anything.  Why can't you just learn to love nature regardless of its color?
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 4:57pm
HMMM

Red Slime, RBTA's, Want a Tomato Clown, there seems to be a recurring thyme here.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by bfessler bfessler wrote:

HMMM

Red Slime, RBTA's, Want a Tomato Clown, there seems to be a recurring thyme here.

Burt,

Are you mocking me?  You should know by now that I am Crappy-Reefer #1, heck yes I'm the original! LOL

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by superman1981 superman1981 wrote:

HMMM

Burt,

Are you mocking me?  You should know by now that I am Crappy-Reefer #1, heck yes I'm the original! LOL

Oh and yes I do like red things in my aquarium Big smile

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 6:02pm

HMMM

Burt,

Oh and yes I do like red things in my aquarium Big smile
I think it is about time Ryan just accept his free membership to the crappy-reefer club. Wink

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 6:09pm
Sorry, I was just reading your clown fish thread and I couldn't resist.Evil Smile
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic