Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommendation for a meeting place

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendation for a meeting place
    Posted: January 17 2010 at 8:22pm
I wanted to bring this up and see what the presidency and the club members think of this.If your not a member, you can still have your input.

So I was thinking to have one of our monthly meeting at Bonneville Seabase. We would have a speaker and after that you can go scuba diving or snorkeling with Angel fish, Groupers, Grunts, Jacks, nurse sharks, Tangs, and Rabbit fish, butterfly fish, sea robins, mullet, pork fish, monos, bannerfish and many more. The size of the bays are 150 feet wide, 200 yards long at the widest/longest, but very irregular in shape.  I would think this would be a real good experience and that we would learn a lot from this.

This can be a club ticket required event. If the presidency worked out something with Bonneville Seabase. I think the club would make some money from this to put into other events. 
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 8:41pm

We used to have our summer BBQ at SeaBase!  It might be time to think about another activity out there.

BTW - we take guest speakers out there all the time!  Its quite the curiosity!
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 9:06pm
Why did we stop?
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 9:11pm

Why did we stop?

As I recall, the attendance was pretty low as a result of the distance.  Although the snorkeling was an option, not many took advantage of it.  It was hot and dusty and there wasn't much for the kids to do. 

It is a great destination, but for the summer BBQ it wasn't ideal.  Maybe Adam or Mark can chime in and better answer this question.
iriedodge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iriedodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 9:20pm
How warm is the water out there in the winter?
Irish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 10:28pm
Today it was 59 degrees in the water. I certified for SCUBA at Seabase and think this could be a good Saturday activity, but I'm not sure this would be a good BBQ location. It's a bit of a hike and there isn't good area around for the little ones to play. But I'm all for a SCUBA/Snorkel Saturday activity there.
IrishSis   "Tough times don't last, tough people do"
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 10:42pm
I don't think the BBQ would be ideal here either, but maybe a summer meeting would be a lot of fun.
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 11:16am
I think it would be great for a Saturday meeting!Big smile
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 2:05pm
Shane put it very well. It has been a long time though. Perhaps if enough people want to do it... here is the link: http://www.bonnevilleseabase.com
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kay181 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kay181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 10:16pm
it would be cool just to have meeting on a saturday then i could come to a meeting 
day light scares me im going back under
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2010 at 10:20pm
Maybe some time in april or early may when It's still fairly comfortable outside
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 11:27pm
Wow, I've lived here all my life, I love scuba diving and snorkeling, but I've never heard of this place. I would love to go out there for a meeting or just to dive with anybody who's interested.
relgycandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relgycandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 1:22am
It might be time to think about another activity out there.

relgycandy
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 7:08am
Agreed, why not.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 12:23pm
Let's do it.

Linn
Pay it forward...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic