Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking For True Clown fish eggs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
clown_fish10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clown_fish10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking For True Clown fish eggs
    Posted: January 12 2010 at 9:44am

I have success raising clown egg, but my pair is a regular clown. I am looking to raise different clown egg since I have all the set up for them, If any one have a true pair or other kind that lay egg but don't raise them let me have them and I will split the baby with you. I prefer in Davis area but will travel down to slc.  Thanks for reading

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 11:07am
You have had success raising clownfish? How many babies have you raised, to what age/size?
What do you mean by "regular clown"?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clown_fish10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 11:41am
My pair are female is percula, male is false percula. I have close to 100 babies now (ranging from 2 weeks to 4 months, 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch). I have a low hatch rate (less than 30 each time) this is due to removing the egg out of the parent tank. I planed not to remove the egg any more will try to catch the baby out of the parent tank from now on.  The reason I consider that is a success  because I was able to raise them past mentophase with less cassualty.  Every batch I have at least half survive. May be to you success might define different than I define success.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 11:48am
wow thats sweet clown fish.... man I would love some of those when they get bigger! 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 5:59pm
Can a Percula breed with an Ocellaris? Many times Ocellaris are sold as Percula simply to make more $$. Nobody can really tell the difference except if they know where the fish came from or they do an autopsy.
Do you have pics?
iriedodge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iriedodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2010 at 6:55pm
How often do they lay eggs spawn?

Edited by iriedodge - January 12 2010 at 7:59pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clown_fish10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Can a Percula breed with an Ocellaris? Many times Ocellaris are sold as Percula simply to make more $$. Nobody can really tell the difference except if they know where the fish came from or they do an autopsy.
Do you have pics?

I am guessing too, since I know for sure my male is an Ocellaris, but my female is totally different as the marking appear. It is different from the true percula too. I didn't know the percula will sell for more $$. I have my as a trade.  As I read somewhere it describe the percula has a black stripe a little bigger but not as big as a true percula vs the Ocellaris has a very thin black stripe or some don't even have any.  I will take a picture sometime.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clown_fish10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 7:31am
Originally posted by iriedodge iriedodge wrote:

How often do they lay eggs spawn?

every 16 to 18 days for my.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clown_fish10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Can a Percula breed with an Ocellaris?
Do you have pics?
Mark, to answer your question, my female is for sure not an Ocellaris, so it either percula or true percula, so now the question is can we mix an Ocellaris to a true percula? I didn't expect this pair up like this. At the time I was moving I have three of my Ocellaris and this percula in a tank and I saw them pair up. I move them to a different tank and after a few months they have spawns. I am very happy with the baby out come, they look like their mother more as all of them have the black tripe, I don't know the black will get bigger as they grown out.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 9:44am
yes mark they can breed and produce viable offspring. I have a pair.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 10:54am
CoolSmile
dew2loud1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dew2loud1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 11:26am
ours is obvious because the male is more of an onyx variant, I've heard of some weird combos before while we were gone we had a couple clowns jump tanks and came back to an ocellaris
acting friendly to a tomato, lol.
SharkByteShaz View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharkByteShaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 11:45am
I've got a confirmed pair of Tomatoes as we speak but the fry are gobbled up before the have a chance to hide, kind of like Nemos siblings.
HOLD MY BEER, I WANT TO TRY SOMETHING...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic