Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

adding coral

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Desertreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desertreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adding coral
    Posted: December 28 2009 at 2:14pm
I recently moved my 29 gallon tank from my Dad's house to mine.  It has been set up for 10 years with a maroon clown and six line wrasse.  I want to add corals to the tank but I don't know where to start.  Which are good for beginners?
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2009 at 2:21pm
Welcome! It would depend a lot on the lighting and tank conditions, but your easiest corals are your soft corals and mushrooms. If you want I have a frag of Xenia you could have and maybe a kenya tree. Xenia, even though are really common, are one of my favorite corals. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2009 at 2:30pm
Welcome Desertreef! It sounds like you are in good hands now.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desertreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2009 at 2:34pm
I have corllife compact florecent bulbs.  A friends suggested I get some star poylups and they have been doing great. 
I would be interested in getting some frags locally.  That would be much better than driving to Ogden or Salt Lake.
I also have a problem with green hairy algea.  Any ideas?
grateful1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grateful1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2009 at 2:37pm
Welcome!  You've come to the right place.  I'm not from Logan, but there are a bunch of members on here that are.  I don't think you will have a problem finding frags.

As for the algae problem, what is your cleaning crew like?  Do you have any snails, crabs, shrimp?
37g reef.
Frag tank in progress.
(801) 403-4006.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desertreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2009 at 2:42pm
Snails and crabs, though I dont think I have enough of them, and one cleaner shrimp. 
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2009 at 2:55pm
It sounds like you just need to get a few more in there. Snails are usually better if you already have some crabs.

I know there is an order for inverts that I believe is going to happen on Jan 1. Here's the link

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37439

Edited by Luckedout - December 28 2009 at 3:41pm
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

AvesSaltGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AvesSaltGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2009 at 11:39pm

Watch the Arrow Crabs - they chowed on a bunch of my fish. The Sally Lightfoots tend to be really aggressive too. Small Emerald Crabs and blue hermits... are great... plus you can find a bunch of different snails.

Michael - 120G Reef Acans, Pom Poms, Zoas... Clowns, a firefish, and a coral beauty -purple tang, sailfin desjardinii, Filtration - sump, protein skimmer, UV sterilizer, 2 Koralias, refugium.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Desertreef Desertreef wrote:

...a problem with green hairy algea.  Any ideas?
Oh yeah, we have more than ideas.Big smile

Welcome Desertreef,
You are absolutely correct that more snails are needed. I'd work on the hair algae before doing anything else to the tank.
Snails, snails and more snails is the most useful answer to, and prevention of algae problems.

10 years is a very old tank. That is a system that has operated so long that any change could be disastrous, like cause a huge algae bloom or cause a fish to die. My best advice would be to take it very slow, making gradual, small changes. Coral depend on light. How old are the tubes? Don't change them yet.

Please post a pic if you can and tell us about the filtration. We are here to help.Smile

Here is a thread that holds a ton of useful information:http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desertreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 9:10pm

I almost hate to admit but I have hang on the back filters.  When we started this crazy hobby we got bad advice.  I do have a skilter filter from Fosters and Smiths.  I cant really afford to update and drill the tank at this point.  Besides when I do that I hope for a bigger tank.  The lights were both replaced in July. I will work on getting some photos as soon as I can. 

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 9:43pm
Big changes aren't necessary for a good tank. You're right, save your money for a bigger project. I think you could make a nice tank out of what you have with less money. It sounds like you have a tank up and running for a long time. The only thing you have to do now is improve it a bit.

-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic