Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what size to drill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what size to drill
    Posted: November 30 2009 at 9:31pm
I am trading shane (pa_reptileman) some things for a 20g tank to set up as a caribbean/keys biotope plumbed into my 65g's sump.   We are going to drill the tank, and I am curious what size i should drill it?    What are the standard bulkheads that are easy to come by?
also, future question, what size pump should I run on this?
thanks
PJ
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 9:36pm
How much water are you planning to circulate? That will dictate what size plumbing you need to use.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 9:54pm

I'd probably go with 1.5 inch.   That should flow plenty of water for your overflow.

Please post pics when you've got it going!
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 10:14pm
Shane, pardon my ignorance!, but are you saying drill an 1.5" hole, or put a 1.5" bulkhead in, or is this the same thing?   
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2009 at 11:46pm
this is only a 20g I have a 1 inch bulkhead on my 100 and rund about 1000 gpm for my return I think you could get away with a 3/4 inch bulkhead although if you are going ot be running with out powerheads you may go bigger most of my tanks flow comes from other sources (closed loop)
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 12:27am
Wow, Your running 1000 GPM through a 1" Bulkhead. There must be some amazing pressure behind that. LOL

Edited by bfessler - December 01 2009 at 10:15am
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 9:36am
Sorry - 1.5" bulkhead. 
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 9:42am
I'll bet Andy means 1000 GPH - otherwise he'd have drilled holes through his glass with that kind of pressure. LOL
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 10:15am
I think a 1" bulkhead would be plenty for a 20 gallon tank and those are very common. It requires a 1.75" hole cut in the glass. You could have a glass shop cut it for pretty cheap or I have a bit and could help you drill it also.
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2009 at 6:31pm
I just put together a frag tank. Its about 50g and I'm using 1" bulkheads with a 950 GPH pump. Yes, it is some amazing pressure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic