Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what kind of epoxy to use

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jmtreml View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmtreml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what kind of epoxy to use
    Posted: November 24 2009 at 7:32pm
What kind of epoxy shoud I use to glue coral to my live rock, i am suppost to pick some coral up tonight but I dont know what kind of epoxy to use or where I can pick it up?  Thanks for the help
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 7:35pm
Superglue gel. you can buy it at the dollar store 3 tubes for a buck
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
jmtreml View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmtreml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 7:36pm
and the superglue gel will dry underwater?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 8:17pm
Yes it will.

Mike

jmorrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 8:56pm

Ic-gel bsi, or something like that. I used to always get it from david at reef kingdom.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 8:57pm
I prefer to use AquaMend two part epoxy from HomeDepot.

Mike

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 9:02pm
I like this coraline purple reef epoxy. It blends right into the coraline growing on my rocks.

Edited by bfessler - November 24 2009 at 9:03pm
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 9:07pm
I second the IC gel that Dave sells at Reef Kingdom.  It is a nice big bottle and it lasts for ever and it holds really well with a fast set up time.
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 9:19pm
I guess it really depends what your gluing and where it's being glued. For gluing small to medium frags to rock where good contact can be made any super glue gel will work great. If you are gluing larger irregular pieces or branching coral to rock the 2 part epoxy works well. It has a longer working time and works more like clay or putty so you can press the coral skeleton into it and mold it into a natural looking shape.
Burt

[email protected]
jmtreml View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmtreml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 11:42pm
Thanks everyone for all of the help
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 1:39pm
Gel Super Glue in any brand works the best for so many fragging situations. It sets in water can even be used underwater and is cheap. Except for soft coral and branching LPS I wouldn't use anything else.

If using that epoxy for branching coral, etc., I like the look of taking some sand and pushing it into the surface of the epoxy so in time it will blend in to the LR.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 1:59pm
I agree in most situations Super Glue Gel works great.

I used the purple epoxy stick for the first time last week to mount some Frog Spawn to my Vida Rock. The purple color is a close match to the coraline already on the rock and when I was done it looked natural right from the start. The epoxy is not toxic and allowed me to mount a difficult to attach coral in exactly the spot I wanted it. My dad had some frags on rocks that his hermets kept rolling out of place. I put a small amount of the epoxy on the rock and stuck in into a crevice. It looks natural and the hermits cant move it.

I'v seen the gray stuff and until it becomes encrusted or covered with coraline it doesn't look so hot but the purple epoxy looks good right from the get go.
Burt

[email protected]
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 2:51pm
I think he was looking for an epoxy to put rocks together.
I would go with the home depot 2 part like Mike recommended.

What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Chad Chad wrote:

I think he was looking for an epoxy to put rocks together.
I would go with the home depot 2 part like Mike recommended.

Do you guys do that dry or underwater?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 3:00pm
It will work either way. When I glue underwater I use an old toothbrush to clean the area of rock where I will use the glue.

Mike

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 3:49pm
+1 Big smile

Edited by bfessler - November 25 2009 at 3:50pm
Burt

[email protected]
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 8:07pm
I would put the two parts together make a ball then stick it in the tank and place the rocks how you want them to stay and clean up the epoxy on the joint so it isn't so obvious and then make sure it will stay long enough for the epoxy to set.
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic