Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to Forum and Hobby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2009 at 4:35pm
You can get a used skimmer for almost nothing, usually like $40-60. I would highly recommend a skimmer, even if it's just a cheap one. You can also buy DIY retrofit kits for pretty cheap.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2009 at 1:22pm
Luckedout, sent you a PM
Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
skimace7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimace7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2009 at 7:24pm
I have about a half bucket of sand you can have if you want it... I am in Logan. Mason
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 3:08pm
So I made my first blunder. I was putting together some plumbing and managed to somehow get a big glob of silicone in the bottom of my overflow. Clean up was pursued vigorously with only the bottom of the overflow suffering any blemish (fuzziness). I will now do my work away from the tank to avoid future problems.... but somehow I feel that this is only a minor blunder compared to what I am sure to incur as this tank develops. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 8:28pm
well if you need any help I can always lend a hand
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
dduts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dduts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2009 at 9:25pm
Welcome Luckedout!
One suggestion while you are setting up your tank..... Don't use the glass cover you mentioned. You'll need the oxygen exchange in the water. The cover will minimize the ability to do so. Be sure to go see some local tanks too.
90g mixed reef

GOT CRABS?

Sometimes I wonder "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"....and then it hits me
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 3:48pm
Yeah I'm going to leave the glass cover off. I actually like the look better without it. Plus my
plumbing won't really let me place it back on.

I actually have just finished up my plumbing today. Since the tank is at my office I'm going to wait till after hours and fill it up and check for leaks and make sure it's working how it should. I have to admit that I'm pretty nervous to do so. If it goes well, then I'll be getting some sand and rock over the weekend and then just let the tank sit for a while.

The only thing I'm really lacking right now is lighting. I'm not going to go all out but it seems like no one has had any lighting for sale lately. If you know of anything, let me know!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 4:10pm
Make sure you check KSL.com as well and look under the fish section in classifieds. Usually a LOT of great deals that aren't on the boards here. 
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 6:36pm
Pump worked beautifully! Only leak was from my bulkheads. Just gave them another quarter turn and cleared that up! I'm actually pretty surprised at myself. Maybe I can do this?

Edited by Luckedout - October 16 2009 at 6:40pm
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2009 at 9:06pm
sweet looks like your on your wayClap
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 4:37pm
Well I have the sand and the rock in. The tank is circulating but it's pretty cloudy. I think I might need a powerhead for better flow of the water. The pump is great but it pushed more water than I can possibly drain so I had to decrease the flow. Now I don't feel like I have the circulation that I want. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic