Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW Ice Age Aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 5:34pm
Basically trying to point out the fallacies in human logic.

Which fallacy are you pointing out? Argumentum ad populum?  

I enjoyed studying logical fallacies. Although I have to think hard to recognize them anymore.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 5:51pm
Yes, to begin with that could be used to dispute simply having writing on the stand...most people like writing on the stand, therefore writing on the stand makes the best stand.

But, even my assertion that...people like writing on the aquarium stand, therefore they will like writing on any aquarium... is also fallacious. Denying the Antecedent (as far as I can tell)

But, that said, what argument could one make that the two situations are not the same if one claims "I would love to display to everyone where and how I won this great tank" on one hand, but would not in the other instance with this tank. The argument is not that they do not mind it, but would even prefer it as some sort of statement. So it would seem to follow that people of that school of thought would want etched branding on this one and it should bring in more tickets.

Rioreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rioreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 6:00pm
I think the tank is so unique that any etching would take away form its unique beauty.
Besides then you cant see in the tank you J/A
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 6:04pm
I agree...and that was my point on the stand...

But, you could put the etching above the waterline...J/A...you crack me up.

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

Basically trying to point out the fallacies in human logic.

Which fallacy are you pointing out? Argumentum ad populum?  

I enjoyed studying logical fallacies. Although I have to think hard to recognize them anymore.

Holy crap!! Here is where you lose the attention of all the redneck, backwoods boys like me!! I thought he was talking about something elseEmbarrassed
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 7:32pm
Shane and Fu-
Not to burst your bubbles but keep in mind that most people who buy tanks that light up like this are buying tanks that DO have patterns, letters, logos, and things like that engraved on them!!!!

Most of them are NOT buying light up tanks that are just etched on the top.

Adam
ps- however, Eric's tank is unique in not having a smooth top
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:34pm
Denying the Antecedent

Could be. 

The logical fallacy being: Since I like the engraved hood, I must therefore like the engraved glass. 

One cannot assume x because of y.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:38pm
Adam,

My bubble is certainly not burst.  I'm not expressing an opinion either way. I just enjoy the arguement and the logical fallacies that occur as a result. I haven't seen many lighted tanks to know whether most have engraved logos.  The lighted tanks I have seen,  did not.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:40pm
YEAH! Everyone get your popcorn, Shane vs thefu!

I am taking all bets now. Please PM with your pick and your wager!

LOL JK guys, all in good spirit!
Sweet N Sassy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweet N Sassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:59pm
Maybe I should weigh in. But then again arguing with dimwits never has accomplished anything. (course Shane might beat me)
Supporting the hobby one reefer at a time

Ocean Wonders Aquarium
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 11:17pm

But then again arguing with dimwits never has accomplished anything.

I know when its time to be quiet! Wink

One final thought though ... (and my official opinion)

If a vendor (any vendor) is willing to donate to a club event then the club should be gracious and appreciative of the donation. 

And ... I like the engraving on the stand and canopy. I would avoid it on the glass tank.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 11:49pm
I too like some of the engraving on the wood, but not wording, logos or acronyms. Personal opinion is that it detracts and it becomes a sign. Although I was not surprised that some did not mind the lettering on the canopy, I was very surprised that many actually preferred it...hence the somewhat tongue-in-cheek suggestion that if this Ice Age tank were to be in the raffle it should have it too.

I completely agree with you Shane, any donation should be and is greatly appreciated. Both the stand and this tank are incredible pieces of handiwork.   Hugto all!

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 11:50pm
I am sorry this post has been this controversial, I was hoping to spark some excitment but instead it ended in controversy.
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 11:53pm
Seems to me the controversy in this thread is pretty much just goofing around and all in good fun.

Otherwise, the consensus is that you built a really cool tank.

Great Job!  Hopefully I can come see it before you find a home for it.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 11:54pm
I am excited...this tank rocks!!!

When will we see it in the store complete and full of livestock?
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Will Spencer Will Spencer wrote:

Seems to me the controversy in this thread is pretty much just goofing around and all in good fun.

Otherwise, the consensus is that you built a really cool tank.

Great Job!  Hopefully I can come see it before you find a home for it.

Thumbs Up Spot on!
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2009 at 11:56am
I never claimed to be running with the most popular vote and I would totally rock this tank with some etching along the top front as long as it was all above the water line! If you etched some light snow in or ice caps on some of those points so that they would glow a little different when the lights are on that would be pretty cool also! and it's not like glass etching is hard to do. Most of us did it in art glass at some point in school.
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 10:21pm
Since I may be one of the only people who havent seen a tank like this (not just the fancy mountains but rimless) Where do you put the LEDs?  are they mounted above the tank or mounted in the bottom some how?
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 10:50pm
below in the stand.
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2009 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by FIRE SHRIMP FIRE SHRIMP wrote:

below in the stand.
awesome job! 
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic