Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEW Ice Age Aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 10:41pm
This is really difficult to capture with a camera. All I can tell you is it is the COOLEST tank I have ever seen. It is well engineered and all smooth edges. Everyone will want one of these!Thumbs Up

Mike

TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 11:04pm
Very nice Eric!
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 11:41pm
Eric, I saw the night shot and showed Amy because that truly is amazing.  She was in Awe. Very few tanks can make her even notice them.  Just not here thing. But she went on and on about it.
That is the biggest compliment.
Nice Job!
Cell 801 860-7333
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 11:46pm
My wife was equally impressed.  I love the concept of having moonlights, while highligting the trick chipped glass look.

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 11:46pm
Thanks, I am just trying to push the Aquarium envelope right here in utah :-)
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 12:33am
That looks sweet.  How did you get the edges to glow like that?  Is that how the tank might be able to look with night lights or something?

150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 8:22am
Yes, There will be led's in the stand shooting upwards threw the glass to light the edge.
[email protected]

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 9:45am
If we use it for the raffle, don't forget, we need to etch "Mountain West Reef Fest" on one side and "Marine Aquatics" on the other in at least 2" lettering...dont you think? After all, anyone winning such a beauty would love to show how/where they won it...right? And if we throw in a vortech and a Neptune controller, we can etch the other two sides with their logos...perfect! LOL
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:08am
Some days I just cant figure out if your a major dick or just trying to be a funny guy...Confused
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:17am
Wow Eric! I thought it was pretty cool until I saw the LED shots. Now I think it's probably one of the coolest aquariums I've seen.

It would be really cool to do the LED's shooting up through the glass like that on a zero edge tank as well.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:22am
Just to play devils advocate. Do you worry about micro cracks on those Vally's?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Some days I just cant figure out if your a major dick or just trying to be a funny guy...Confused

Basically trying to point out the fallacies in human logic.

This tank is a perfect comparison to the stand issue. Take something so beautifully created, then add something so out of place. The logic should hold true that if someone is not bothered by putting lettering or logos on a gorgeous piece of woodworking, then it should hold true for this gorgeous piece of glass work.

I am simply a logical guy. Can someone explain the logical difference of putting lettering on this tank above the waterline compared to putting lettering on a wood canopy? If the reasons thus far given for the latter are valid, they should also be valid for this tank.

And, yes, I find logic and argumentation fun and humorous but it can often be construed as being a dick...and that too is humorous...  LOL

Eric, again this is one sweet ass tank...kudos for thinking and reaching outside the box (pun intended)...I can't wait to see it in person with the lights...if it does make it to the reef fest raffle, so long as there is no lettering, I will put lots of tickets in that bucket.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 10:38am
Originally posted by thefu thefu wrote:

Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Basically trying to point out the fallacies in human logic.

I see, Still it is one mans opinion and some times its like the old saying, "Every one has one and most smell like ****"Wink

It really doesn't faze me in any way. Sometimes its fun watching people make asses out of them self. Myself included.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 11:13am
Dion,
Thats why i sand blasted the whole top is to make sure there aren't any little cracks and chips so no worries at all.

Jwoo
have you seen our Zero Edge Tank? I am thinking of ways to do this aswell
[email protected]

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 11:34am
Can you imagine running a chiller on this tank, cranking it down to 38 degrees, and then putting various species from the arctic in it...even juvenile crab species...that would be sweet.

And, you could float little pieces of Styrofoam icebergs in it....hehehe

Now that would be the tank for the hobbiest that has already done it all...Adam, Mark?
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 11:55am
Oh, and a question, why aren't more tanks made with mitered corners on their glass?
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 11:57am
Thefu

No most aquariums made are lap joints not mitered, leemar,allglass,marineland,oceanic, all do lap joints.
[email protected]

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 12:07pm
The question was "why not?"

Is it less strong, does it cost too much, did they just not think of it, do consumers not care?
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 12:11pm
I am sure it costs a little more to have every sheet of glass cut at the 45 degree angle like Erik did here.

It is much stronger to do it the way Erik did. I think the tank is 26 or 27 inches tall and he used 1/2" glass. The corners give him almost 3/4" of contact compared to only a 1/2" with a lap joint.
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2009 at 12:36pm
Thefu,
I think the main reason is cost and it takes alot longer to build them then  the lap joint tanks. To do the 45degree corners everything has to line up purfect, unlike lap joint you have more wiggle room.
Also the 45 degree angle aren't cut they have to be ground down to the degree

Edited by FIRE SHRIMP - March 16 2012 at 12:31pm
[email protected]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic