Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Slime Remover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
towny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Slime Remover
    Posted: September 22 2009 at 11:11pm
Thinking about using some Chemi-Clean Red Slime Remover.  Two questions:  (1) Has anybody had experience with this?   It says it's safe for all corals, fish, inverts and beneficial bacteria, but it seems I've read some horror stories about other algea removers killing everything in a tank.  (2) The directions state that you need to maintain oxygen levels in the tank for 24 hours after treatment using an airstone or similar.  Is this really necessary, and if so, does anybody have one I can borrow for a couple days?

Thanks much,

Kevin
90 gal FOWLR (kind of) -   still experimenting with certain corals and inverts!
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2009 at 11:37pm
I have used it before and it worked for me.  No harm done to anything in my tank.  I did use an airstone like directed.  If you want to trade me a frag for it you can have the rest of mine and borrow my pump and airstone to use.  I only used it twice on my 29.  How big is your tank?  The rest should be enough if you want to trade.  Let me know.  Either way I think it worked well.  I just followed the instructions.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 1:35am
I recently had a guy come into Reef Runners that used the Chemi-clean Red Slime Remover and it wiped out his ENTIRE tank. Nothing lived, it killed all fish, snails, corals and crabs. I am not sure if he actually followed all of the directions but from what he said it sounded like it.

I like the other Red Slime Remover made by Blue Life personally. The problem with all of these chemicals is they usually only work for 30 days before you have to treat again. You need to find the root of the problem i.e. over feeding, not enough flow, detritus build up etc etc, and fix that.
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 7:50am

DO NOT USE IT!!!!!!!!! It cleaned out all but 3 or 4 of my corals and fish. I would NEVER put that toxic waste in a tank again......

I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 9:34am
I have used it in my tank twice with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. Add an airstone, Change 25% water the next day then 25% again the next day and then turn your skimmer back on and Run A/C the day after you dose.
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 9:49am
Ive used it on several tanks and my brothers have used it on there tanks I think for a total of 5 or 6 tanks and nothing died on any of them. Just follow the directions like everyone is saying...... 
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 10:25am
The Red Slime Remover made by Blue Life is much simpler to use. You remove all carbon and other media, turn off your skimmer and do a 25% water change after like 5 days.

Still I do not recommend any of those chemicals until you absolutely must.

Have you tried adding macro algae? If so, what kind(s)? Have you increased the flow or even changed the flow pattern? What are the details on your tank? Size, water parameters, flow, filtration? A picture would help a ton also.

Red Slime is usually caused from excess ammonia and nitrate and even excess phosphate will help aid in its' growth. Find the root of your problem and you will not need to dose any harsh chemicals.

On one of my 24 gallon Nano Cubes I have been battling Red Slime for the past year. I have used the chemicals but they only masked the problem for a week or so before the slime came back. About a week ago I added 10 snails and 10 hermit crabs. Now my red slime is all but gone in that tank. I would look to use an all natural approach first and then go for the chemicals.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Ryan Thompson - September 23 2009 at 10:28am
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 10:39am
Jeremy,

I actually used the one by Blue Life - it was also what finally got rid of it on Jareds tank. The chemi clean version didn't work for him. It's like ryan said all you have to do is remove carbon and stop skimming and then after five days do a 25% water change. Worked like a charm and I've not had the red slime come back. (it was four months ago I used it).
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 10:41am
hmmm it worked on my 24 gallon, 12 gallon, and my 90 gallon tank. But hey if the blue life worked thats great. Im with ryan though, find out why its happening. I did that on my first tank used both brands and they didnt work come to find out it was flow. I would go through what ryan said and seriously look at each one closely. 
Manofcichlids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manofcichlids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 11:38am
I also entirely agree with Ryan, if you don't find the root of the problem, treating it is just a temporary solution before it blooms again.

What are you feeding? How much and how often? I commonly find that aquariums that have bad cyano problems or hair algae issues are related to what they are feeding and how often they are feeding it.

Do you add carbon, are you skimming wet or dry?

If you get on top of the issue, suck all the cyano out with just your siphon hose without the attachment, get as much of it out as possible. Control your levels and it should naturally starve itself out of the system.
Fish keeping is healthy until the fish start talking back
towny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 11:43am
Thanks everybody.  Tank is a 90 gal reef.  New to the hobby and have been up and running about 7 months.  Been a rocky road thus far:  lots of "easy" corals dying off for no identifyable reason, others doing quite well.  No problems with fish until recently, when I had an outbreak of something that killed 6 fish in two weeks.  Hopefully that's over now.  It's been hard to resist the urge to cut bait and get out at times, but when things are going well (relatively speaking, for me), I really enjoy it.  I've always had a lot of red algea, and rust-colored algea appears to bloom about once every two weeks and is quite thick for a couple days before diminishing rapidly.  Even when it's low, it always has a presence, particularly on the back glass where I can't scrape due to the LR.

Tank specs:

- 90 gal
- 30 gal sump, 1/2 of which is refugium (Caulerpa and one other type of macro (I forget the name, but it's not cheato), plus 3" biosediment and a piece of LR.  Macro has not done well for some reason, not really growing and some decaying.  I have a small PC which is run for about 12 hours a day (on at night).  Plenty of micro growth in the fuge.)
- About 125 lbs LR
- 2" sand bed
- 2 x 250W MH, 20k
- Coralife 220-gal skimmer (produces nice, black skimmate)
- Filter sock on overflow
- Bag of carbon in high flow area of sump
- small bag of Purigen (had nitrate problems for a while that weren't solved by water changes)
- Flow:  (1) Koralia 4, plus 2-way split return powered by Mag 9.5
- Fair amount of reef janitors (35 blue legs, 10 LARGE red-legs, 20 astrea, 15 cerith, 20 nassarius, a few bumblebees, serpent star, blood red and skunk cleaners)

Water params:
Temp: 78 F
SG: 1.024
NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: Usually 0 (5 ppm max)
PO4:  0.25 ppm or less
Ca:  380-420 ppm
dkH:  Historically around 8.6, but recently lowered to around 7, so trying B-Ionic supps 1 and 2 to raise
Mg:  Don't test
Iodine:  Don't test, but dose with Kent iodine every other week (half the recommended dose)

I'll post a pic of the tank tonight when I get home.  Thanks everybody.  Kevin
90 gal FOWLR (kind of) -   still experimenting with certain corals and inverts!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 11:49am
Here is just an idea of my 90 gallon tank. When I had a red slime problem this is what changed it . I have 50 blue legs 50 astreas and 40 ceriths, I have 2 koralia 4s and 2 koralia 3s along with my return pump. So I have a TON of flow. 
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 12:08pm
I would try to increase th flow.  That is what my problem was.  Maybe even try redirecting the flow.  If it were my tank I would at least put another 4 in.  Just my two cents.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 12:36pm
imo that is not enough cleaners for a 90 gal. especially for a newer tank, and you havent been around all but 3-4 months i'm assuming thats the age of the tank as well( i could be wrong). those numbers would be good in a year or so but not for a tank under that.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2009 at 1:08pm
In the thread below, which btw will help you with a lot of other tips and techniques in keeping a thriving and beautiful reef aquarium there are links to other threads where we have discussed the alternatives to using chemicals. In general, using chemicals to correct algae problems are not recommended. There are much safer and more natural ways to do the job.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic