Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what if $10,000 was given....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by thefu thefu wrote:

Ryan, well according to their description, the sunpower is not enough to do LPS in a 210.

I think that the biggest reason to consider a 8x or 10x T5 setup on a tank like this is for power consumption reasons only (and then only barely). 

Also, best to be prepared for SPS so that you can always go there. Even the biggest T5 setup for this tank is barely rated for SPS (10x80 powermodule - 200g SPS) from ATI, consumes 800w, costs $1500, and has 10 bulbs to change out.

A few things thefu,

1) The Sunpower is plenty for LPS on a 210. Don't ever listen to the recommendations from ATI or Reefgeek. They under rate the fixtures pretty heavy.

2) Another thing to remember is that more bulbs does not equal more PAR in one given area. It only means you have more PAR over a larger given area. A 10 bulb PM is 21.5" wide. I don't know many people that have coral from the very back to the very front of their tank. You will just be lighting the floor at that point. Trust me a 10 bulb PM will put out a TON more light than the Maristar fixture. But that isn't always a good thing either.

3) Your list is a good one!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by woottonjeremy woottonjeremy wrote:

I think this has been interesting the Ryan debate with lights when Im set on doing it the way with MH and T5s, and thefu, bob, and a couple others telling me what exactly they would do! Its been fun and I hope that some more people would chim in and let me know along the live stock what they would do to fully stock it!

Thanks again!

Jeremy,

I understand that you are going to go with the MH and T5. I don't care what lighting you go with. It is not my tank.

I do care that people are very misinformed when it comes to T5 lighting. Too often is T5 thrown out the window when really it works great. Look at Reef Runners' big coral tank, the colors in that tank are solely because of the T5's that John installed. The MH bulbs give you the shimmer and that is it. I have turned the halides off before for an hour or so and all the corals stayed wide open and colorful as can be. When I turned off the T5's, the corals colors went Dead.

So go with the MH and T5 combo. My reco for that is to run the Phoenix 14K bulbs and supplement with 2 KZ Fiji Purple and 2 ATI Blue Plus.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 12:23pm
I really think you should wither go mp40s because of the great controller they have. If not those then tunze so your apex could control those. If you Must go with koralia, go with the magnum line for sure since they can be cycled by the apex as well without any issues. Two magnum 8 and your return split to two sea swirls should do it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 12:24pm
+1 ^^^^^
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 1:11pm
livestock

3 prs clowns
1 sm lion fish
3+ niger triggers sm
a valintine puffer
2 scooter blennies
pr of madrins
gold rim tang
kole tang
clown tang
cheveron tang
6+ clown gobies
pr jawfish
magnificent foxface
batfish
morish idol

there 30 fish  a lil more then normal but i always load up on fish.

pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 1:13pm
valintine puffer? Are they reef safe? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 1:16pm
For livestock I would go with:

Anthias
Wrasses
More Anthias
Pipefish
A few cool tangs like Powder blue or powder brown
Absolutely no Dori's or Nemo's!
Either a spotted mandarin or a green mandarin
More wrasses (talk to brad, he is a wrASSe man I heardWink)
A dwarf angel (multi-color or flame or lemonpeel)
Blotched Anthias!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 1:18pm
well doris and nemos are a must for this family. they wanted a puffer  as well those are the only must for this tank....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 1:20pm
Ughhh! I want to see one freaking tank without a Dori or Nemo!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 1:34pm
good luck! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 1:36pm

good luck! 

HAHA! Actually my tank has neither one of them.
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 2:23pm
ive had them in my tank before, just make sure they are small. maybe some atlantic blue tangs.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

good luck! 

HAHA! Actually my tank has neither one of them.

actually mine doent have either right now too ever since the tang and butterfly incident!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 3:12pm
Any other puffers people have tried with success in a reef tank?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 3:14pm
Spiny/Porcupine puffers are fairly common in reef tanks.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 3:23pm
Adam how are they reef safe and to other fish? What fish are a bad idea to keep with them? 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 3:30pm
Well small fish and about any shrimp would be a bad idea.  But lots of reef tanks out there with puffers.  If I get a chance I'll post pics for you. 

Adam
ps- I had a great reef tank with a puffer... and a moorish idol, and tangs, and butterflyfish
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 3:42pm
what about clams and corals adam? 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2009 at 11:25am
The discussion that has gone on about this is interesting. We are talking a lot about things that are very much personal preference. The people that want this tank already said that they want soft coral. I'm sure they have very good reasons for that. Soft coral don't really need bright light but Clams do. Do they like Clams? And since they like Nemo and Dory, it looks like they would rather have a nice community reef.

One way to help them make these choices is to give them a book and or a site on the www where they can see what kind of organisms are available. Perhaps one of the best first purchases with that $10K is a good book. The Scott Michael Reef Aquarium books are the ones that come to mind. Then Jeremy can advise them not only on what is safe but what is going to survive well in their tank. For instance everyone loves the look of Sea Apples and Stars. But would these people like the thought that not only do those animals not grow in an aquarium, but they die way before their time. If they are at all concerned about the environment, they would probably appreciate knowing this.

These are some of my comments about the matter; my 2 cents.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 19 2009 at 5:21pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2009 at 12:50am
Mark, that's the best 2 cents I've heard.  No amount of money will buy the knowledge they should gain first.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic