Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what if $10,000 was given....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 6:19pm
Aqua medics are great fixtures, but the deciding factor for why I spent the extra money on my Maristar is that it is American made and had the reefoptics reflectors for the halides and Tek reflectors for the T-5's.  Plus, very good Ballasts.  I've never had a problem with it. (knock on wood).
Lighting is just personal preference anyway.Wink
Right Ryan!
A super quality skimmer would be #1 on my list, circulation 2nd, and then lighting.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

Aqua medics are great fixtures, but the deciding factor for why I spent the extra money on my Maristar is that it is American made and had the reefoptics reflectors for the halides and Tek reflectors for the T-5's.  Plus, very good Ballasts.  I've never had a problem with it. (knock on wood).
Lighting is just personal preference anyway.Wink
Right Ryan!
A super quality skimmer would be #1 on my list, circulation 2nd, and then lighting.

Yes Brad, lighting is personal preference. Large tanks I would only go with MH. A 210 is not large enough for me to leave T5 LOL.

I agree 100% with Brad about the order of items. Skimmer is numero uno with flow right behind it. Get him some MP40's!
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 8:22pm
SeaSwirls!
pa_reptileman_4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 8:40pm
why not 2x 400w mh's? with your t5 supps. 1 less ballast/light combo to worry about and 50w more light. specially for a retro.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 8:49pm
I agree, one less bulb and ballast and with the right retro reflector you will have more than enough coverage.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 9:19pm
Maybe I'm just a little "out of it" but I think I could build a pretty nice 210 for that kind of $$$, including livestock

I'd figure $2500 for a new tank/stand/canopy

If it is the traditional wood stand and canopy (like my 225 has) I wouldn't go with a MH/T5 combo fixture. I'd do 2 Lumenarcs and (2) 400s... probably under $650 total w/ bulbs & ballasts

I'd get a really nice skimmer like one of the big (12") Octos (I'd budget $600 -800)

A Ca reactor and an Apex are musts, IMO, for a setup in an office environment (Another $1000 total)

200 lbs of LR and 300 lbs of sand = $1000

2 vortechs, a good sized return pump, a sump setup = $600

A $500 budget for salt, test kits, heaters, supplements, etc & misc. supplies

In a climate-controlled office setting you shouldn't need a chiller, especially if you go with the 2 light suggestion above

You are now in the neighborhood of $6,400 - $7,000, which means $1,000 - $3,000 left for livestock to start off with

Now, if it were for my own office I'd probably look for alot of the equipment used - and, of course, I'd save a grand by doing LBTR / Utah sand instead of buying retail Wink

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 11:11pm
i think it needs to be enfisized(spelling) that it is not in an office. like metioned on page one its in his home.

Originally posted by woottonjeremy woottonjeremy wrote:

I should have said that it is not going in the office. It is going in his home.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 11:29pm
Well, it doesn't change my earlier response very much if it is  in a home setting.

Pretty sure his home will have central air so still no chiller needed.

Question, though -

Does this guy already have the tank / stand / canopy or is that purchase included in the budget you have been given?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Brandon1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 11:45pm
I just wish I had that kind of money right now man that would be sweet and then just haveing that kind of money laying around to think about doing a saltwater tank lol man I need to find out you guys do for a living because what I doing just aint cutting it lol..!!!!!
Brandon
24G JBJ Nano with LEDS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 11:51pm
I want to know why 400W halides are even being talked about here? Is there honestly a logical reason for the 400W halides? This tank is going to house SOFTIES and LPS.

I agree with Brad that he may get into SPS at some point. We all do. The light setup Jeremy is planning on will do the job just fine. Heck the ATI T5 I recommended will keep SPS with no problems.

Just doesn't make any sense to use nearly 1000W of power when it is not needed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 11:58pm
he also said that he is going to put mh in it anyway. do i need to highlight that as well? so why instead of having 3x250w ballasts and 3 bulbs to replace and worry about just do 2 400w fixtures i dont care what kind i was just throwing a suggestion out there.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 12:01am
Originally posted by woottonjeremy woottonjeremy wrote:

lol madreefer dont get ryan started on t5s! Im doing both 3 250 mh and t5s for supplements! 

ryan i'm not trying to start anything i know your all about t5's but as jeremy stated. above thats where the mh came from.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 12:02am
I know exactly what lighting Jeremy is planning on running. I think the halides are overkill all the way around for this setup but to each his own.

If he was planning on using Radiums as his bulbs then yes go for the 400W. I just don't think many softies or LPS will be really happy with that much light. I could be wrong though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pa_reptileman_4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I want to know why 400W halides are even being talked about here? Is there honestly a logical reason for the 400W halides? This tank is going to house SOFTIES and LPS.

I agree with Brad that he may get into SPS at some point. We all do. The light setup Jeremy is planning on will do the job just fine. Heck the ATI T5 I recommended will keep SPS with no problems.

Just doesn't make any sense to use nearly 1000W of power when it is not needed.

rather have more then enough then not enough. plus if he where to go with a mix im sure the mh and  t5 would be on at different times not all at the same time for the same length of time.
pitiful guppy tank.
shane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 12:07am
Most people run the T5's for an hour or two before the halides. The T5's stay on with the halides throughout the day.

I mean no offense to you reptileman so please don't take it that way. Logically I just don't see the point in halides here. That is just me and my opinion. Plus I am always biased to T5 so that always gets in the way LOL!

I just like the idea of less power and saving money. Call me crazyTongue
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 8:26am
Ryan, well according to their description, the sunpower is not enough to do LPS in a 210.

I think that the biggest reason to consider a 8x or 10x T5 setup on a tank like this is for power consumption reasons only (and then only barely). 

Also, best to be prepared for SPS so that you can always go there. Even the biggest T5 setup for this tank is barely rated for SPS (10x80 powermodule - 200g SPS) from ATI, consumes 800w, costs $1500, and has 10 bulbs to change out.

I think that 2x400 14K MH retro with great reflectors is the best bet for and supplement if you think you need to or get a 3x250 all in one fixture from Maristar...

So to summarize my thoughts:

- Starphire on three sides
- Great Skimmer
- Apex (don't forget wireless gaming module for connectivity)
- Sea Swirls on returns
- Vortechs
- Great MH or MH+T5 (retro) or Maristar
- Sump/refugium in the same design as mine (Marine Aquatics)
- Calcium Reactor for sure
- Carbon Reactor
- IP camera
- Direct connect to RO/DI with auto top off
- Locate equipment in separate fish room if possible

tropi_gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropi_gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 8:34am
It sounds like a lot of money... but it will go out the door just as fast as a little money. We always spend to our capacity, why is that?? Wink
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 10:00am
Originally posted by tropi_gal tropi_gal wrote:

It sounds like a lot of money... but it will go out the door just as fast as a little money. We always spend to our capacity, why is that?? Wink

Unless you are the government, or me, this is true...

But, back to reefing, if you are spending money on a system you will not be tending to day in and day out, and you want to guarantee the highest level of success, everything above is necessary except maybe the more advanced lighting and the expensive vortechs. You can do it for far less, but then it requires more monitoring, more chance.

Understanding this reasoning (your reasoning) as being mostly true, I would not put a $ amount out there at all if I were asking someone to do this for me...I would simply put out the requirements (and types of things I like), and have them tell me what I need and why and how much. Then, like I did for my landscaping, I would go over with them the more exact kinds of livestock I like and whether or not it is wise given the part time care and my (in this example) limited knowledge of the hobby along with my comfortability of the survival rates.

All of that said, I do not think that this thread's suggestions thus far are way over the top for the application. Again, can it be done for far less with decent level of success...of course...but if you want less chance of failure, less worry, less visits to the tank, these things are suggested.

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 10:12am
Thanks thefu, the money he said is because he walked into an LFS and saw a show tank and asked to buy it and they said it would cost 8-10k. But they wouldnt sell it but would set one up for him for that amount. He is fine to go over that amount its not a big deal we are just trying to keep it within that amount.

No they arent way over the top I have enjoyed all the suggestions. I think I will do w/out the vortechs and do korallias and spend the extra money elsewhere. Thank you fu for putting in there about the carbon reactors! I was just telling my wife last night that no one had yet mentioned anything about that and I thought it was funny/interesting!

The Starphire... yes I want to do that.... but.... everyone says that it will take at lest 8 weeks to get it in. Im on a deadline of having it all set up by Oct. 31st! So I talked to my boss and he says he doesnt care if it isnt the best glass.

To answer Brandons question about line of business... its real estate... and much more the guy owns 7 or 8 businesses and is very good at what he does.

I put the money amount to see what everyone would do with that money..... I think this has been interesting the Ryan debate with lights when Im set on doing it the way with MH and T5s, and thefu, bob, and a couple others telling me what exactly they would do! Its been fun and I hope that some more people would chim in and let me know along the live stock what they would do to fully stock it!

Thanks again!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2009 at 10:20am
I think one pair of enormous lionfish would be awesome... but that's just me.
I also like a tank with flounders.
I'd go with 20K 400 watt halides.  I miss that look on my tank (saw it on Downhill's tank yesterday and felt nostalgic).
I would do a gravity feed manifold below to run the skimmer, carbon, filter sock.
I'm really enjoying the Vortech mp40's for wave flow.  You'd have to see my tank to see how cool it is.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic