Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best small herbivore?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best small herbivore?
    Posted: September 15 2009 at 5:52pm
What is the best algae eating fish that is small enough for a 24 gallon nano?

I had my watchman goby go carpet surfing last night and want to replace him with an herbivore of some kind.

What does everyone think?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 6:05pm
Lawnmower blenny
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 6:11pm
Bob,

I was thinking that or maybe a Horseface or Tailspot blenny. I can get just about any one of them on the next order but would like some opinions.

Thanks!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 6:13pm
Hey Ryan -

That Bicolor I got from you has been doing great in the 37 Hex tank

He is not agressive at all, but is not doing a tremendous amount of algae eating

I was thinking of adding a Lawnmower for algae control myself

DO you think they would fight over territory in that size tank?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 6:14pm
I have never housed two blennies in the same tank so I have no idea. Hopefully someone will chime in that has experience with that.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2009 at 7:34pm
I've been thinking about adding an Herbivore to my nano as well. Don't have any experience to add but will be following the thread to see what others have done.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 3:28pm
BUMP
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 6:45pm

A small Tang is always nice in a tank that size.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

A small Tang is always nice in a tank that size.

What type of small tang? I have a 45 gallon tank and while I want a tang I'm always afraid of size requirements.

Justin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 8:25pm
I don't really like any of the smaller tangs. I don't want a hippo for sure and I am not a huge fan of Yellow Tangs. I don't really want to risk a powder brown or gold rim either.

I am gonna have John order me in a Horseface and a Tailspot blenny.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 10:50pm
According to the description of the Horesface Blenny on LiveAquaria.com they are known to nip at SPS and Clam mantles. Those are both cool looking fish though.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 10:58pm
I think as long as I keep the Horseface fed it should leave my SPS alone. I don't have any clams to worry about at the moment but will have some in my new tank.

I would rather get the Tailspot but I am not sure if John can get either one yet. We will put the order in and see which one shows up!

Thanks Burt
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2009 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I don't really like any of the smaller tangs. I don't want a hippo for sure and I am not a huge fan of Yellow Tangs. I don't really want to risk a powder brown or gold rim either.

I am gonna have John order me in a Horseface and a Tailspot blenny.

Hippos are good in small tanks. My little brother had one in a 12 gallon nano before upgrading tanks it was in the nano for 1 1/2 years. The Atlantic yellow tangs chad got in were tiny! Those would have been good. What about those tiny sailfin tangs that John gets in or the tiny clown tangs? Actually now that I think of it most of his tangs are babies and would do well for quite some time in your nano!
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 4:52pm
I too need a small herbivore (29gal) that likes hair (filamentous) algae.  I have a tail spot, he's not so hot on eating hair algae but likes the stuff on the glass (like most the snails do).  Any other suggestions?  Lettuce nudibranch?  Mexican Turbo (not the zebra ones)? Small rabbit fish? Small foxface?
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 5:00pm
yes to nudibranch (they dont do that good of job though) yes to mexican turbo (put 2 min my tank and they devoured all the algae) and yes to the last two! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2009 at 5:01pm
A small foxface would work. I thought about going that route. I had John at Reef Runners order me a Tailspot Blenny and an Orange Shoulder Tang. I hope the tang comes in nice and small the first time so I don't have to wait too long.

Don't worry Tang Police the Orange Shoulder will be a new and bigger tank in a few months! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic