Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A DIY Recirculating skimmer is easy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A DIY Recirculating skimmer is easy
    Posted: September 03 2009 at 1:00am
After suffering with inferior protein skimmers for many years... I finally found a good deal on one with potential.  The original pumps that came with the skimmer had already died so I bought the skimmer body only.  After seeing the awesome performance of recirculating skimmers and beckett injected skimmers, I dedided to make a dual beckett-injeced recirculating skimmer from my pumpless Euroreef 12-1.  That's right, it's 12" in diameter. 

I bought a 1 3/4" hole saw from Lowe's and drilled 3 holes.  The uniseals are from Aquatic Ecosystems and are for 1" pipe.  I was nervous about cracking the skimmer if the hole saw "bound up" too hard, but the drilling was easier than I'd expected (I went slow with very little pressure).  The uniseals fit beautifully in the holes but it takes quite a bit of force and spit to get the pipes through the uniseals.  Maybe a 1/16" bigger hole would have been an easier fit.  I haven't tested it yet but I have high hopes. 

The DIY beckett injectors are fairly easy to build too.  There was a thread on reefcentral with step by step photos but I think it was lost in the server crash.  I hope this is helpful to anyone who's been thinking about a "recirc mod" for themselves.

Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 2:27pm
Looks like it will work fine. Have you made becket injectors before? That will be the dermining factor in whether this skimmer is a beast or a failure. If all else fails you can buy some injectors. What will you be using to power the injectors? I personally would have put the injector inlets lower in the skimmer body and maybe added a bubble plate. Looks good though. What size tank is this going on?
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 5:04pm
I have built many many skimmers and i will be honest the ones i built with a becket injector were a pain to keep clean and working right, I would recommend mazzei injectors they rock...

Edited by FIRE SHRIMP - September 03 2009 at 5:04pm
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 10:58pm
I've made one beclett injector before, for a friend with an ETSS 1000.  I used the same design with the expandable PVC plumbing piece and it seems to work very well.  I don't have them in yet, but I have 1/4" valves that thread into the injectors.  I drilled and tapped holes into the PVC for the valves.  Once I got the hang of it, it was easy. 

I would have gone lower with a bubble plate but the neck is only 4" (it's a 4" union) and so I couldn't physically put a large bubble plate into it and I didn't want to cut it open.  I'll attach 45 degree elbows onto the injector pipes inside the skimmer.  That way I can direct the froth up or down depending on how high or low the bubbly water/clear water transition is.  I've heard mazzei injectors are awesome but large sizes are expensive so I'm trying the cheaper option first.
Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 11:06pm
The main reason i didn't like the becket injectors is that they seem to get clogged up alot,
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2009 at 8:51pm
Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic