Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Stand Height

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank Stand Height
    Posted: August 12 2017 at 10:45am
Adam, I totally forgot about that! Memories...
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 10:22am
Back when you were Corwando!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 1:14pm
I found this old thread while searching for pictures of my old tank on the forum. Wow, my first post! Cool!
imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 7:55am
Im with jfinch here on this one.  My 135 stand is 38", and my 240 stand is 34.  Wished they were 40 plus!  I look at my tank far more than I work on it (aint that how its supose to be?) and I want it at good eye level  for my viewing pleasure!  I built the 135's stand from oak and I will in the near future replace the 240's factory stand with a custom made 40" maybe higher stand.  This will put it at a better veiwing level and allow me to have more room underneath for a better/taller skimmer and a mangrove refugium that will be assembeled there.  Its just my opinion though....
300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
240 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
135 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
75 gal. Softies only Tank
65 gal. LPS/Softies
24 gal. SPS/Softies Nano Reef
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 7:04am

I put the bait out there and Bill bit!

I was really fishing for Carl

TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 10:01am
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

I wish I had 3 - 4 more inches.

Livin' large with Enzyte... 

I could not resist! (ducking)
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Corwando Corwando wrote:

Now if I can just get home on %^&* I-15. 
Accidents are never fun during rush hour. 

You're posting while on the freeway?

( My friend has a bumper sticker that says "Get off the phone and
drive"......)
jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 6:33pm

Make the stand high enough so little children will hit wood not glass with their toys.

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2004 at 10:48am

One more thing to consider.  If your tank is high and you want to be able to fully open the top of your hood.  Consider the height of the top of the hood fully extended upward.  If it won't clear the ceiling you've got a problem. 

I like the idea of opening the hood and resting it on the wall behind the tank.  My Mom's tank was designed to do this and it worked great in it's previous home, but in her basement the ceiling gets in the way.  We had to design a prop to hold it up and it makes it much harder to get into the tank.

Edited by wsinbad1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 4:39pm

Thanks, everyone.  I was considering 40" but I thought it might be too high.  I'll most likely build it 40" to 42" high, due to all your posts.  All of the plumbing for the sump will be heading to the basement, and so I may get creative with the stand.  The tank will probably be too high for the armpit test, so I'll use a stool.  I'll show some pictures in the future.  I'm going to use a clear alder, etc.

Now if I can just get home on %^&* I-15.  Accidents are never fun during rush hour. 

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 3:22pm
i went w/ 40" and really like the height ... seems to be a theme.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 3:09pm
Shanes tank and stand are definitely worth seeing.

You are welcome to come see my tall stand under a drilled 180 gal in Centerville It's custom built with two sliding shelves that are extremely useful.
There are drawers too, but they are open to the inside where the sump/Refugium sits. The humidity makes everything in the drawers wet!

Also I recommend placing pond liner in the bottom of the stand to collect water in case of an overflow. I have it four inches deep which should catch several gallons of spill.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 2:51pm
I built the stand for my 120 so that the bottom of the tank is 40" off the floor. If you plan on viewing your tank while standing, do not go any shorter than this. However, if you'll do most of the viewing from the couch, then you could make it much lower. 40" does not seem to high - I might even go a bit taller next time.
Check out the Tank of the Month section to see some nice stands (mine is April 2004)

oh and uh ... by the way WELCOME!

Edited by Shane H
vkfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vkfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 1:33pm

Most stands you buy are about 30" high.  One problem with tall stands is that it is difficult to reach into the tank, although they are better for viewing.  You can measure the height of your armpit and see if you'll be able to fit it over the top of your tank.  Of course if you really like high stands you can always use a stool whenever you need to reach into your tank.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 1:33pm
I agree with everyone.  The higher the better.  Don't worry about getting stuff into/out of the tank.  Use a chair or stepstool for that.  You'll be spending 90% of the time just looking at the tank so not having to bend over for that is nice.  Visitors will enjoy it more to.  I built my stand higher then "average" but still not high enough.  I wish I had 3 - 4 more inches.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 12:41pm
Great minds think alike (and at the same time).
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 12:08pm
wow, we all posted at the same time.
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 12:07pm
I would suggest that you even go taller.  I'm building one now that I did at 40".  4" might not seem that much, but it makes quite a difference.  Especially when your tall and have to bend over to see it.

Edited by acerob
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 12:07pm
I have a 29 gal that measures 18" high, I put the stand at 34 inches for the platform, but 36 would have been just as good.  My only complaint is my stand is skinny width wise (something to do with a 12" deep tank, and not enough foresight to make the stand wider than the tank).
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 12:06pm
I think 36" is great.  The higher the better IMO.  I don't like bending over to look at my tanks.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic