Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$99 ReefKeeper Lite...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $99 ReefKeeper Lite...
    Posted: August 04 2009 at 1:40am
So I just saw that Digital Aquatics is selling their L1 package for only $99! That is a great deal for anyone looking for a controller.

My question is, is it worth the money to get it?

I am not looking for some huge, do everything in the world including clean your glass controller. I am looking for something to run my lights, monitor temp, and be expandable in case I want to upgrade later. I have been researching stuff all night but am not sure what is the best route to go. For $99 I don't think you can beat it.

What do the experts say?

Thanks guys!
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 9:57am
Hi Ryan,

I picked up one of these controllers for my tank and liked it so much I bought another one for my other tank. I use it to control lights and pumps and the temp probe makes sure that if my heater sticks on it will turn off the power to it so my tank doesn't boil everything in it to death.

Its great for basic control and there is a firmware upgrade that will allow it to use all of their modules except the Web Interface. I have been using mine for about a month now and it works perfectly. For the price they are hard to beat.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 11:23am
Thanks for the report Burt! I was in Reef Runners and John said you ordered in the bulbs. You will really like the T5 over that frag tank and the colors will be amazing! I can't wait to see the fixture and how it performs. Hopefully you can run some PAR numbers on it.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2009 at 12:52pm

Ya I ordered the lamps. I hope your right about their performance as they cost me more than the fixture LOL. I couldn't wait to get the frag tank going so I put my 24" GLO fixture over half the tank and added some corals today.

Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 6:17pm
your biggest limits is no web interface and not being able to monitor as many modules for if you want to use it on several tanks but really how many tanks do you want that close together

I know where I can get some for 15% off soon possably more off if we can get enough ordered from digital aqautics but I think that $99 is already a deal and I dont know if this will be after that I will have to ask

Edited by sanddune600 - August 05 2009 at 6:19pm
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 9:35pm
I don't care about the web interface really and have no plans for a second tank anytime soon. If I was planning to do a 200+ gallon tank with a ton of money invested, I can see the web interface being nice but this will go on my nano for now and later will go onto my 40 gallon Breeder. So the internet does not sell me.

I also compared it to a Aquacontroller Jr and this has way more functionality at 1/3 the cost. I really REALLY like the $99 price tag. If you can get us some for even cheaper, count me in for at least one if not a second for my Dad's tank!

Anyone else have any info or advice I should consider before making the purchase?

I appreciate the responses so far. Smile
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2009 at 9:55pm
I hope the new model is better then the Reef Keeper 2, I am not impressed at all with my RK2, Me, my bro, and a friend bought some and all of us have had electronic problems with them. My friend got rid of the RK2 and bought the new Reef Keeper Lite so far so good though we will see. I am wanting a aquacontroller 3 proBig smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic